Hitting the road full time

2peasinapod

Greetings,

We are retired and want to fulfill our dream to travel. We have a 2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 3.7 V-6. Looking for a TT to go full time on the road. The truck tow rating is 5700 lbs and the combined weight limit is 11,100 lbs. We will be starting to hit the RV dealers this weekend to see what's out there. We've never been RVing or camping. And we are on a budget.

We're giving up the apartment and keeping just what we want to keep in climate controlled storage and the rest will be sold or donated. I know we're limited by the vehicle we have, but it's what we have. Getting another one is not an option. Searching online we saw some that we like and within our budget. The Keystone Cougars are one of our favorite for now because of the king size bed, but we have to watch the weight.

We will be traveling with our rescue dog, Patches McGee, a Shih Poo. We're trying to figure this out so any insight and advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 Peas In A Pod Plus One

51 minutes ago, 2peasinapod said:

...We have a 2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 3.7 V-6. Looking for a TT to go full time on the road. The truck tow rating is 5700 lbs and the combined weight limit is 11,100 lbs...

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!! When you look at trailers, make sure you are looking at the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) not the unloaded or dry weight as you will not be towing an empty trailer. Also look at the carrying capacity of the trailer to see if it can carry what you will want to take with you. You need to become familiar with all the different weight ratings to properly match a trailer with your truck. Since you have the truck, load it with everything that you think it will be carrying and weigh it. Subtract that weight from 11,100 and that will be your maximum trailer weight. This calculator may be helpful.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

26 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!! When you look at trailers, make sure you are looking at the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) not the unloaded or dry weight as you will not be towing an empty trailer. Also look at the carrying capacity of the trailer to see if it can carry what you will want to take with you. You need to become familiar with all the different weight ratings to properly match a trailer with your truck. Since you have the truck, load it with everything that you think it will be carrying and weigh it. Subtract that weight from 11,100 and that will be your maximum trailer weight. This calculator may be helpful.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

Wow, thank you. That's the kind of advice and insight I was looking for. That calculator is great, I'll have to look up all the weights I don't have.

I too wish to welcome you to the Escapee forums and I promise you that our gang will do our best to help you figure things out and make a successful transition to the RV lifestyle!

It sounds as though you have already done some research on trucks and understand the weight issues but if it is helpful, this link will take you to some information on the subject on my personal website. In addition, I believe that it is important to know as much as possible as you begin this transition, so I suggest that you read at least one book on the subject of RV living and you can buy them from Amazon or your public library usually has some. There are several good ones and some of the newer members might have suggestions about which one.

Be very cautious about any technical information given to you by sales people. Remember that they are most interested in getting a sales commission and few give much thought to return customers. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived