2017 Volvo

forxlr8n

Turn the lights on in the bldg if you want to impress me, so I can see the merchandise. This is smoke and mirrors in response to the "New Cascadia", which is an old Cascadia with a redesigned interior and and new snout. International is also releasing a "new" Prostar which again is the same truck with a different snout. No one in this market is going to spend a great deal of money coming out with a new platform. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

The new Volvo looks a lot like the old VN series, except it has sprouted feelers.  When Jeff said it was smoke and mirrors, he was being close to literal, as there is a laser light show in the ad that tried to make a few cosmetic changes to the Volvo's looks an exciting event.  There was not one word about why this is a better truck that the previous model, just the ad agency's excitement about a truck growing feelers. 

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

7 hours ago, beyerjf said:

Turn the lights on in the bldg if you want to impress me, so I can see the merchandise. This is smoke and mirrors in response to the "New Cascadia", which is an old Cascadia with a redesigned interior and and new snout. International is also releasing a "new" Prostar which again is the same truck with a different snout. No one in this market is going to spend a great deal of money coming out with a new platform. 

They have been working on this for 2 years so it's not a response to Freightliner.

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

I am sure the folks in Greensboro have an idea what the guys up in Portland are doing and vice versa.  In reality it is a very small group of folks designing and putting out drawings to an even smaller group of vendors to provide the parts. After all they only make about 300,000 of these things in a good year, and platforms have to survive for decades with minor changes to "freshen" the look. Since they have been overwhelmed with emission and GHG regulations constantly for at least the last 15 years, that's where the money has been going. 

I am sure the changes are positive, just the ad copy is, well ad copy....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived