Cardlock

bluflame11

Hi all! Does anyone here use a cardlock station for fueling? We are prepping for our first trip and filled up at a local station, but, of course, it took several recycles of the pump as it would shut off at a set dollar amount. In the same station where I filled up, right next to me is a pacific pride area...I was wondering if this would be worth getting set up with, or if I can even get an account to fill there?

I would guess the pumps would not shut off at a set limit, and would flow much faster, and they have a main and slave pump so I can fill both sides at the same time.

Is there a favorite fleet card to use that would cover multiple truck stops/fueling stations on my travels such as flying j or pilot? or is a pacific pride card only useable at a pacific pride location?

Do you fill at truck stops? if so, how? I tried on my way home, but found out it only took a card, and not just a credit card.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

When we had our truck we just used truck stops like Flying J or any that showed up on our travels. We always went in the back where the trucks go. I don't know where you live but I never encountered a truck stop that required a special card, only the fleet stops which aren't in very many places. Flying J has an RV card(I don't think it is a credit card) which gives you a little discount. Things may have changed but when we had the truck we had to go inside to pay. Sometimes we had to leave a credit card, Usuallyl DW went inside to get the pumps started. This may have all changed, it has been 3 years since we had the truck.

The pumps for the trucks pump at some fantastic rate. Fills up fast. Just remember to pull forward when done filling up.

As SWharton has experienced.  We too go inside with a credit card & they put a hold on a suggested amount, usually $300 while we fill.  They adjust any amount that we don't use after the pump shuts off.  I believe the credit card company controls when the pump might shut down.  Ours does at $150.  You might be able to have your card company adjust that amount to fit your needs.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

On our Visa, the card $ stop was by the card, not the retailer.  Call  your card people and see if they can help.  At most truck places, the pumps expect a DOT number.  You must go inside and tell them that your are not commercial and they will take care of it.  A few $ can be saved if you sign up for a Pilot loyalty card.  They work with Flying J, too. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Mike-

It gets complicated... We are not commercial or farm exempt so it is more difficult to set up accounts like the Pacific Pride, or other commercial style accounts.  Even at Loves, when I asked about the commercial account for fueling, they asked what my DOT numbers were.... hence the issue.

But, I have found that when unhooked, I fit into most Murphy's or smaller stations just fine.  It's usually 15-20 cents cheaper than the interstate stores, may take longer to fill but I have more time than money so it works for us.  We usually fill at 1/2 tanks so usually 2 swipes of the card and we're good.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

24 minutes ago, redcrzr said:

We too go inside with a credit card & they put a hold on a suggested amount, usually $300 while we fill.  They adjust any amount that we don't use after the pump shuts off.

That's what I do when I need DEF, otherwise I fill when unhooked at the smaller slow stations that are cheaper.

As for Credit Card limits I think it is a company issue as it varies $75, $100, $125 and even one rural set of pumps that I have been over $200. I primarily use a Discover Card.

Clay FL M2 106 with 150 gal tank Capacity

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I use my Flying J/Pilot RV card all the time for pump start. Basically the way it works is I swipe the card and it turns the pump on. When done pumping I pull forward so the next guy can start fueling while I am inside paying. The loyalty card gives me $.05 off the posted cash price. I then pay with my Amex and earn another 1% in rebates on it.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

In states that charge an additional tax for commercial-use diesel, does using the Flying J/Pilot RV card exclude that extra commercial tax when you use the truck lanes, or are you hit with it anyway?

Charlie

Full-time nomadic, self-employed Xscapers!

My bad the commercial pumps include road tax and auto pumps don't. SORRY!!!

I live in Arizona and commercial pumps do not include road taxes. Some location will and some not if you ask will include road taxes. It has happened here RV ticketed and fine substantially for using commercial pumps.I never heard how that was resolved. Other states don't matter pump prices the same commercial or regular. Just a word of caution.

All other posts about use of a credit card I have found to be true and very by the station. I have a pilot\flying j camping word card and I get I think 10 cents of per gallon.

I have a Pacific Pride/card lock account. I got because locally it is easiest to get in and out as my total length 67 feet(yea it is over length). The prices per gallon are typically higher than anyplace you may choose to go. No cost advantage. 

Just remember in Arizona if you use commercial pumps and not pay road tax. If caught it is like if getting caught using farm fuel. 

I think that is all I know on this subject. We have all been dealing and making it work. I know you can as well. Hope this helps a little anyway.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

The member that was fined in Arizona was fined because he was using the auto pumps, not the truck pumps. If you have 3 axles or are over a certain ET you must use the truck pumps. I believe it charges you an extra tax, although they can deduct it if you ask and they are willing.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Around here, the truck stops are 15-20 cents a gallon more expensive. It's not a whole bunch but 15 cents times 200 gallons is enough to buy your sweetie a nice lunch...or buy the dogs a big bag of kibble. I'll hunt for anywhere that is cheaper than a truck stop. Most times I will leave the trailer at the campground and go fill up while bobtail. I can fit in any station without the trailer. Just remember, this isn't your pickup truck. When both tanks are full you can travel from Texas to Nebraska...and back. Plan your fuel stops accordingly. Don't fill up in states with the extra 10 cents in fuel taxes, just drive to another state. You will make it. 

Try using an app called "Gas Buddy". It finds prices almost anywhere you are. Right now the Chevron 5 blocks away is $2.29 for diesel, the Flying J another block down the road is $2.55. A quarter a gallon difference. For that price I can suffer a little inconvenience.

And that was 10ponies that was fined for using the "auto" pumps. 
The thread is HERE

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Gas Buddy works great.  I filled up in Eloy, AZ at 2.07 at the car pumps. yes I had to move to get both sides. That was with out the trailer. I also use the Pilot/Flying J RV card to start the pump. I gets me[hopefully] the RV price as opposed to the commercial price. Some place rebated it in cash after some the pump did it and some didn't.

The convenience of starting the pump and using the high speed pumps in the truck lanes is well worth the cost even if it is a little more.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

On 4/20/2017 at 9:30 AM, RickW said:

I use my Flying J/Pilot RV card all the time for pump start. Basically the way it works is I swipe the card and it turns the pump on. When done pumping I pull forward so the next guy can start fueling while I am inside paying. The loyalty card gives me $.05 off the posted cash price. I then pay with my Amex and earn another 1% in rebates on it.

Only 1%?  I always use a card that's 5% on fuel all the time (any station, gas or diesel), credited to the statement each month.

9 hours ago, Big5er said:

Around here, the truck stops are 15-20 cents a gallon more expensive. It's not a whole bunch but 15 cents times 200 gallons is enough to buy your sweetie a nice lunch...or buy the dogs a big bag of kibble. I'll hunt for anywhere that is cheaper than a truck stop. Most times I will leave the trailer at the campground and go fill up while bobtail. I can fit in any station without the trailer. Just remember, this isn't your pickup truck. When both tanks are full you can travel from Texas to Nebraska...and back. Plan your fuel stops accordingly. Don't fill up in states with the extra 10 cents in fuel taxes, just drive to another state. You will make it. 

Try using an app called "Gas Buddy". It finds prices almost anywhere you are. Right now the Chevron 5 blocks away is $2.29 for diesel, the Flying J another block down the road is $2.55. A quarter a gallon difference. For that price I can suffer a little inconvenience.

The thread is HERE

If you go to Buc-ees, you can get the sweetie's lunch and doggie kibble before you pull away from the pump too. ;-)

4 hours ago, Shallow Draft said:

Gas Buddy works great.  I filled up in Eloy, AZ at 2.07 at the car pumps. yes I had to move to get both sides. That was with out the trailer. I also use the Pilot/Flying J RV card to start the pump. I gets me[hopefully] the RV price as opposed to the commercial price. Some place rebated it in cash after some the pump did it and some didn't.

The convenience of starting the pump and using the high speed pumps in the truck lanes is well worth the cost even if it is a little more.

Couldn't agree more.  The amount of maneuvering (that's manoeuvring up there, right?) that it takes me to circle around a non-truck stop, especially with the car in tow, often isn't worth it.  I'm certainly not going out of my way for one, but do occasionally pull in when it's a good price and not busy.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

We have several regional grocery store loyalty cards that help as well.  Kroger being one that we use when they are available.  We have also used the Good Sam member card to start the pumps at Flying J, and then paid with a Walmart MasterCard that discounts fuel .05 at billing, so between the 2 we end up paying less.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If you are in the Southwest, Maverik Stores has two different options.  The base card gives you a 3 cent discount on fuel.  Free to obtain.

They have a Nitro card that is also free, though it is tied to an ATM card and then you get a minimum of six cent discount.  With that said, we have never gotten anything less than ten cents off and have gotten as much as thirty cents off per gallon, with no limit.  And best of all, absolutely free, with no obligation.

we were just looking at places to stop on our trip to the WCR and Maverik had the best prices on Diesel in Nevada and Utah.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

10 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

If you are in the Southwest, Maverik Stores has two different options.  The base card gives you a 3 cent discount on fuel.  Free to obtain.

They have a Nitro card that is also free, though it is tied to an ATM card and then you get a minimum of six cent discount.  With that said, we have never gotten anything less than ten cents off and have gotten as much as thirty cents off per gallon, with no limit.  And best of all, absolutely free, with no obligation.

we were just looking at places to stop on our trip to the WCR and Maverik had the best prices on Diesel in Nevada and Utah.

Wow...wish we had something like that around here...im in the northeast

10 hours ago, Big5er said:

The thread is HERE

Gas Buddy is an excellent app, especially being FREE!  Another good free one, is Truckerpath.  It is more of a Truckstop Directory with updates of fuel prices and available parking.

We use Gas Buddy to find the cheap prices and Truckerpath to see what the places are like or what might be around them.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

11 hours ago, Nuke-E said:

Only 1%?  I always use a card that's 5% on fuel all the time (any station, gas or diesel), credited to the statement each month.

I carry 1 card and pay for everything with that card. The rebate is for all purchases with no limits.  So many rebate cards only pay until you reach a certain limit then stop.  The convenience of a single card is like the convenience of a truck stop vs gas station not set up for servicing big trucks. 

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

There real world of diesel prices has no connection to the "marquis" price you may see on the big sign. Most of you are just going to pay retail because of the size of your purchases. You can shop around and some retailers are going to really get you, some less so. 

Example. Today in Nashville TN. T/A marquis sign says $2.57. Thornton's, a local discount vendor directly across the street says $2.33.  I make a beeline for the T/A.  Why you ask. Because my small company has negotiated a discount at T/A for $2.11. The mega carriers of course are doing far better than that, with their futures contracts and "service contracts" where they drop a load of 8000 gallons of fuel they purchased into the tanks at say a Love's, and just pay Love's $.03 a gallon to store it and pump it into their vehicles. 

Delta Airlines got so tired of the whole thing they bought a refinery in NJ to control their biggest cost, and bring in the crude from North Dakota to supply it. On Warren Buffet's toy railroad. 

Big Oil didn't get that way without cause. It is infuriating. Capitalism at it's finest. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Pacific Pride - had it for years and still use it. Got it for convenience of 40' motorhome and towing car. Actually, I don't even think we had our 40' when we first got it. Usually nobody else there. Started so long ago that had to use a book to look up where stations were, now can use the web site. But do read the ratings a few were not easy access. We no longer do major traveling and only have a 24' diesel, still very handy. BTW, with pacific pride or any card lock, you can pump your own diesel in OR. Automatically deducted from our checking once a month. 

David & Marilyn

Living Our Dream

Archived