Acrophobia??

Rick&Phy83

We just spent an awesome weekend in our recently purchased 2010 Jayco Melbourne.  Our first trip was to a local campground just to test things out and we had a blast.  We are starting to plan our next excursion and there is one thing that limits our options on where to travel.  Over the past twenty years I have developed a fear of driving on roads where there are sharp drop offs.  A real fear of being near edges especially where there is no guard rail.  I suffered severe panic attacks when visiting Mesa Verda in Colorado a few years ago and I was the passenger!!  We can certainly find plenty of places to travel (fortunately we love the beach!!) but I would really love to find a solution to this condition if possible.  Are there any other "fear of edges" RVers out there that could offer any advice.   

Rick & Phy

Mount Joy, PA

2010 Jayco Melbourne 29D

2016 Jeep Wrangler Toad

I'm right there with you, my friend. I've always had an extreme fear of this type of driving... and I'm a licensed pilot! (Being in an aircraft - large or small, including Army helicopters - doesn't bother me at all.) I wussed out on my wife at Sequoia National Park last week and had to pay for her to take one of the tours a couple of days later. When planning trips into/across areas that involve mountainous areas, I use the Google Earth and/or satellite views to check out the route first. I also use the Mountain Directory (digital version) to make sure routes are suitable for the rig. 

Family members think my fears may be rooted in the fact that a cousin of my father who lived with us for a while treated me like a football as an infant (he was a high school football player at the time) throwing me up in the air and laughing when I cried. My fears haven't changed in 64 years and I don't see a lot of potential for change in the future. 

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I have the same fear, and have had since I was a little child.  We try to avoid those types of roads, but it's not always possible.  If I'm a passenger, I close my eyes until we're past the area of concern! 

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Fears are valid to the person; about the only thing that makes my blood boil immediately is seeing someone make fun of another that has a fear of something.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Lots of desensitization techniques/therapies on web, as well as other coping techniques. Lots to try for free.

Meanwhile, when route planning through areas with likelihood of dropoffs (mountains), choose (a) interstates as more lanes, wider lanes, less curvy, more likelihood of guard rails, etc., (b) choose direction where dropoff is on other side of opposing traffic (i.e., drive north on Pacific Coast Highway so mostly land to right and ocean to left), (c) choose truck routes (various mapping tools) as more gradual altitude changes and roads will usually mark right edge of lane, (d) be the driver if can drive (farther away from dropoff), (e) buy a lane assist or other aftermarket eyesight traffic aid, and (f) go through a checklist before trip of checking tires, brakes, etc.

Consider taking an RV Driving School class which will help focus on certain driving techniques/tools and away from focusing on edge.

Thanks to all.  Airplanes don't bother me at all.  I've flown to China for work assignments many times.  I like the idea of using the satellite option to see the mountains and valleys when setting our course for trips in the future.  It is a drag to suffer from this condition but it certainly isn't going to slow down our travel plans in the future.  We'll find a work around whenever possible.

Rick & Phy

Mount Joy, PA

2010 Jayco Melbourne 29D

2016 Jeep Wrangler Toad

You should have been at Sequoia when we were.  In March.  The road was clear, but there was 10' of snow on both sides of the road, so you thought you were driving in a very narrow canyon of SNOW.

There was an 8' culvert leading from the parking lot to the Visitor Center.  You had to walk through the culvert to get to the Visitor Center.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

17 hours ago, Mike and Claudia said:

You should have been at Sequoia when we were.  In March.  The road was clear, but there was 10' of snow on both sides of the road, so you thought you were driving in a very narrow canyon of SNOW.

There was an 8' culvert leading from the parking lot to the Visitor Center.  You had to walk through the culvert to get to the Visitor Center.

So you had 10' guard rails!

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Copied from Wikipedia:  Acrophobia sufferers can experience a panic attack in high places and become too agitated to get themselves down safely. Approximately two percent of the general population suffers from acrophobia, with twice as many women affected as men.[1]

I would guess acrophobia would be extremely dangerous if the driver would inadvertently drive into a place where they loose control of the vehicle.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, Al F said:

I would guess acrophobia would be extremely dangerous if the driver would inadvertently drive into a place where they loose control of the vehicle.  

That is my biggest fear.  Even driving a car I've been in situations where I started to get panicked but not to the point of losing control.  Glad I'm aware of the condition and can plan our travel around it.

Rick & Phy

Mount Joy, PA

2010 Jayco Melbourne 29D

2016 Jeep Wrangler Toad

I think it's millions of years of evolution hard wired into who you are.  It's your inner being telling you there is danger.  I bet that woman in California that fell off the bridge taking a selfie last month wishes her inner self had told her that was dangerous. 

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Archived