So. Dakota Drivers Lic. Renewal

cowboy

1 hour ago, kfrimr said:

You need to send in a receipt from a SD Hotel, or RV park basically proving that you have recently been in the state. 

The recent has to be within the last 12 months and a couple has to make sure that both names are on the receipt as well as their SD address.

There are RVers who claim that having a receipt doesn't mean you have to actually stay in SD and are simply paying hotels or campgrounds to provide a receipt for a reservation which they choose to "no show."  We decided that this definitely was not the intent of the law and we don't mind going to SD at least once every five years to renew our licenses.  SD has been easy for us to deal with and we appreciate it.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

My understanding from the lady at the DMV was that when we got our licenses, they included the PMB in our address so that we would not be able to use the online renewal process as it would be flagged because of the PMB.  This was in Aug 2015 when we got our original licenses.  May not be true, but that's what we were told.

Pat DeJong

11 hours ago, LFDR3116 said:

My understanding from the lady at the DMV was that when we got our licenses, they included the PMB in our address so that we would not be able to use the online renewal process as it would be flagged because of the PMB.  This was in Aug 2015 when we got our original licenses.  May not be true, but that's what we were told.

I don't  know if it's true or not, either, although this is the first I've heard of it.  A call to your mail forwarder should clear this up.

However, even if it's not true, the requirement to send in a receipt from an RV park or motel within the past 12 months along with your online renewal, would be tough for most fulltimers to fulfill.  If you're going to have to make a special trip to SD within 12 months of getting your DL renewals just so you have an RV park receipt, why not just make the special trip to SD within the time frame of when you can go in person to get the renewal (up to 180 days prior to your birthday)?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Regardless of whether or not the PMB addresses are flagged, the state's DPS website is very clear:

"If you are using a South Dakota mail forwarding address, you will need to complete the residency affidavit. you will also need to provide a receipt from a South Dakota hotel/motel, campground or RV park to prove one night stay in within the last year (hand written receipts are not acceptable) and One DOCUMENT (no more than one year old) proving your personal mailbox (PMB) service address (receipts from the PMB businees or a piece of mail with your PMB address on it)."

I don't think there's any doubt that these words imply that you need to stay in SD sometime during the 12 months prior to the date on which you renew your license.

It may also be worth noting that the pieces of mail you present must have some form of cancellation on them to prove date of mailing.   Undated mail cannot be used.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived