Verizon Unlimited Data Plan

We went over our Verizon data allowance this month, again. I called Verizon and they gave us a $15 credit so we will get 1g more for free. We have looked into the unlimited Verizon is offering right now but we have some concerns:
1. Out MiFi device would be limited to 10gb of 4gLTE then it would drop to 3g.
2. Our phones would have 22gb at 4g then they would be "prioritized" after that.
Does anyone have this plan and using a MiFi device? Have you used your phone as a "hot spot" and noticed a large drain on your battery? Does that shorten the battery life?
We talked to Verizon but I hesitate to believe a salesperson on this. If we switch we can't go back to the plan we have now.

StarlifterFE
Retired USAF C-141 Flight Enginner
Full-Timers
2005 Holiday Rambler Ambasador

2010 Honda CR-V

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have ATT but can answer your question on battery drain. Yes, I have found that the battery really goes down when I am using my phone as a hot spot.

I just switched to the ATT Mobley 22G Car Connect Plan for $20/month. You might want to look into that. Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/126694-20-a-month-standalone-unlimited-att-hotspot-plan/

I have been using it in the house(bought a AC OBD adapter) and it works fine. If you go this way make sure you call the Car Connect people, not the regular ATT CS.

What plan do you have now (how many GB) and how much of that data are you using on your phones vs on the mifi device? Do you tend to use the mifi device as the sole internet and use your phones on wifi off the device? It might be that on the new plan you do more on the phone stuff with it's own 4g access and don't let them go on wifi unless absolutely necessary for some reason and save the mifi data for things like streaming if you do that? Not sure where most of your usage is coming from. Hotspotting a phone does use more battery, but can you keep it plugged in during that time? 

I know verizon has it written into their TOS that the mifi devices will be throttled at 10gb, but it seems right now they aren't enforcing it. Maybe that will go on for awhile, maybe not? 

The Mobley $20 standalone plan seems like a good backup to have and maybe depend on that as much as possible. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I have the unlimited plan and now have 35 gigs on my jetpack.  I just checked and I am getting 28 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.  It does slow down a bit in the evenings and especially weekend evenings as I am in a resort area.  It is much better than my previous 30 gig share everything plan.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

1 hour ago, StarlifterFE said:

We went over our Verizon data allowance this month, again. I called Verizon and they gave us a $15 credit so we will get 1g more for free. We have looked into the unlimited Verizon is offering right now but we have some concerns:
1. Out MiFi device would be limited to 10gb of 4gLTE then it would drop to 3g.
2. Our phones would have 22gb at 4g then they would be "prioritized" after that.
Does anyone have this plan and using a MiFi device? Have you used your phone as a "hot spot" and noticed a large drain on your battery? Does that shorten the battery life?
We talked to Verizon but I hesitate to believe a salesperson on this. If we switch we can't go back to the plan we have now.

We have been on the Verizon unlimited plan for one full month.This is what we actually saw regardless of what any Verizon rep has told us. We are near Disneyworld a high usage area. We have been checking speed with speed test  and visual route server several times a day  to different servers

We have 3 devices(lines( Mifi and two smart phones.We used a total o 49.86 G 32.56 of which was charged  on the Mi Fi device. We were told by Verizon Tech services we had 22 G PER device.

We did not see ANY throttle at 10G. We saw a reduction in speed one Friday morning but none since then. It appears that 22 G per device is correct. This is what we saw HERE for this month and should not affect what anyone does. We had the Unlimited talk and text 40G before and this unlimited plan is 15.00 less per month.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Hmmm.........I just got this email message from Verizon:

We’ve noticed that you use more than 10 GB of data each month on your Internet device (Jetpack/router/Home Fusion Broadband). So, we wanted to remind you that, consistent with our Verizon Unlimited Plan terms & conditions, when you exceed 10 GB on that device during your monthly bill cycle in the future, your data speeds will slow down to a maximum of 3G speeds. 4G speed will be restored when your monthly bill cycle begins again.

If you need a plan that allows you to use more data at 4G speeds for your Internet device, please call us
at 1.800.922.0204.

We look forward to continuing to provide you with great service and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

1 hour ago, dzwiss said:

We’ve noticed that you use more than 10 GB of data each month on your Internet device (Jetpack/router/Home Fusion Broadband). So, we wanted to remind you that, consistent with our Verizon Unlimited Plan terms & conditions, when you exceed 10 GB on that device during your monthly bill cycle in the future, your data speeds will slow down to a maximum of 3G speeds. 4G speed will be restored when your monthly bill cycle begins again.

If you need a plan that allows you to use more data at 4G speeds for your Internet device, please call us
at 1.800.922.0204.

We look forward to continuing to provide you with great service and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

We received no such E mail from Verizon. Or service this month is as posted above. One MiFi device two Galaxy S7 phones.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 hours ago, dzwiss said:

at 1.800.922.0204.

Technomadia just confirmed this and said when ever you start your next cycle, you'll get a text or e-mail on this. It looks like the free range is over for hotspot and now you will definitely be limited to 10gb per device at 4g LTE speeds. 

8 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

Technomadia just confirmed this and said when ever you start your next cycle, you'll get a text or e-mail on this. It looks like the free range is over for hotspot and now you will definitely be limited to 10gb per device at 4g LTE speeds. 

We are in our next cycle I will look for the MSG.

Here is what the Verizon terms and conditions say:  "Blah, blah.blah.  After 22GB/line/mo, we may prioritize your data behind other Verizon customers during network congestion.  Mobile hotspot/tethering reduced to 3G speeds after 10GB/month.  More blah, blah, blah."

The salesman at a Verizon store told us that the "mobile/hotspot tethering" is for MiFi devices only.  Another slesman at another store told me that the 10GB is for ALL hotspot usage.  Then I called Verizon and they told me that your not "prioritized" until after 22GB on ALL devices.  I'm confused.

I am really concerned about ruining our phone's batteries.  One of those salesman told me that you can trash your phone's battery by using it as a hotspot even if it plugged into a charger.  I don't think that is the case but I am no expert in any stretch of the imagination.

For BlueLightning, We are presently on a 30GB a month plan with unlimited talk and text.

StarlifterFE
Retired USAF C-141 Flight Enginner
Full-Timers
2005 Holiday Rambler Ambasador

2010 Honda CR-V

9 minutes ago, StarlifterFE said:

I am really concerned about ruining our phone's batteries.  One of those salesman told me that you can trash your phone's battery by using it as a hotspot even if it plugged into a charger.  I don't think that is the case but I am no expert in any stretch of the imagination.

Using the phone as a hotspot can make the phone heat up but so does using it for turn-by-turn navigation or streaming video. Pretty much any use that requires it be plugged in will heat it up to the point where the battery is probably affected.  How much it is affected is anyone's guess.  A lot of what CSR's tell you is no more fact-checked than what you can read on the internet.

Last year my six month old Galaxy S7 had to be replaced under warranty because its battery had swelled.  Would this have happened if I wasn't using it as a hotspot?  Who knows?

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, StarlifterFE said:

Here is what the Verizon terms and conditions say:  "Blah, blah.blah.  After 22GB/line/mo, we may prioritize your data behind other Verizon customers during network congestion.  Mobile hotspot/tethering reduced to 3G speeds after 10GB/month.  More blah, blah, blah."

The salesman at a Verizon store told us that the "mobile/hotspot tethering" is for MiFi devices only.  Another slesman at another store told me that the 10GB is for ALL hotspot usage.  Then I called Verizon and they told me that your not "prioritized" until after 22GB on ALL devices.  I'm confused.

For BlueLightning, We are presently on a 30GB a month plan with unlimited talk and text.

So if you went to the unlimited plan, you would basically still have effectively the same amount of 30gb data for hot spot use, although split between 3 devices, plus you wouldn't have to worry about going over anything no matter how much you used your phones. If you still have a lot of on phone usage type stuff, that would certainly help balance you out too. 

I think the screen being on while charging (like while using navigation) generates a lot more heat than anything else, especially if it's sitting in the sun in a vehicle. If you have never seen your phone get to the point that it says it can't charge because it's too hot, I think you are probably fine. Even just using the phone with the screen on a high brightness generates a good amount of heat. If you kept your screen off while charging and hotspotting, I don't think you'd find it gets as hot or near hot enough to cause issues. If your phone has a replacable battery, I wouldn't even worry about as batteries are cheap to replace on those phones you can do that. Also as a last resort, if it really mattered, I would think you could always put your sim from your phone into your hotspot if you had topped out the mifi hot spot, but still had some left on the phone to get you by.  

We've published our story on the mobile hotspot enforcement by Verizon, and have included some alternative plans to consider too:

ALERT: Verizon Now Enforcing 10GB Hotspot Limit with New “Unlimited” Plan!

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

The salesman at a Verizon store told us that the "mobile/hotspot tethering" is for MiFi devices only.  Another slesman at another store told me that the 10GB is for ALL hotspot usage.  Then I called Verizon and they told me that your not "prioritized" until after 22GB on ALL devices.  I'm confused. "

This is pretty much what I got from Verizon... which is why  we did so much checking the first full month.Question..why did we not see any slow down at 10G on the Wifi. We do NOT use the phone as a hotspot. Repeat we did not see any slow down at 10G. We only saw one morning of throttling after we exceeded the 22 g on the Wifi.. Does anyone including Verizon know want the truth is...

3 hours ago, richfaa said:

The salesman at a Verizon store told us that the "mobile/hotspot tethering" is for MiFi devices only.  Another slesman at another store told me that the 10GB is for ALL hotspot usage.  Then I called Verizon and they told me that your not "prioritized" until after 22GB on ALL devices.  I'm confused. "

This is pretty much what I got from Verizon... which is why  we did so much checking the first full month.Question..why did we not see any slow down at 10G on the Wifi. We do NOT use the phone as a hotspot. Repeat we did not see any slow down at 10G. We only saw one morning of throttling after we exceeded the 22 g on the Wifi.. Does anyone including Verizon know want the truth is...

Anything that happened the last 2 months doesn't count. As Technomadio's article states Verizon obviously didn't have everything is place to enforce their rules so everyone got a free ride for the past 2 months, but it looks like they are about to buckle down. They have direct connections to the PR reps that know what they are talking about and they have been warning about this since these plans went live.  

The 10GB throttle limit is a hard limit for any device you use to create a hotspot/tethering connection. You will be throttled after 10gb per line for tethered data. This is obvious for any usage for a mifi device, but it also includes hotspot/tethering on your phone. The 22GB is network management soft limit and and would not normally be something you would ever get to on the hotspot since it's throttled way before that. On the phone, you could see it after any combination of tethered + normal phone usage puts you over 22gb. Once you pass that 22gb mark, you are subject to network management at peak times. Other times, you should continue to see normal speeds on your phone.   

Technomadia and Bluelightning have posted factual info. Verizon reps will tell you anything. But the throttling has started. Use more than 10gb as a hotspot and you WILL have the possibility of being throttled. Some are. They seem to be rolling it out over time. I predict that everyone will be throttled within a month or so, once you exceed the 10gb. 

This is the primary reason I'm using the ATT Homebase, and intending to add the Mobley to that. I have 250 gig of data. So far never throttled or "managed" that I can tell. I'm very happy with this solution for MY needs. I will never use 250 gig. And for another $20 a month I'll have a second device that is unlimited. I'll keep my phones on Verizon for now and reduce that data plan down. And come out cheaper for better service and more data.

Once TMobile starts to deploy their new spectrum I think the odds are that things will change for the better again. But that will be awhile yet.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Like Jack, our primary Internet source is currently our AT&T 250GB/mo Homebase. I've just added the $20/mo unlimited Mobley plan as well, and now I'm testing to see which one we want to keep in the motorhome and which one to leave at our NY cottage to replace the current Spectrum cable service there. I'm leaning towards leaving the Mobley there, since the Homebase seems to have a better WiFi range and a better cell antenna that should pick up weaker signals better. With our Max Amp on board, that's probably not that much of an issue, but there may be times we want to use the Homebase as a portable device for a few hours away from the motorhome. On the Verizon side, I'm dropping the $100/mo 20GB data plan for our 6620L Jetpack, but I'll keep the gray market $5/mo 3G only plan active on our 4620LE as a backup in case we find ourselves in a Verizon only area sometime. Our cell phones are using Verizon via Tracfone as well.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Tethering is when you turn your smartphone into a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot and share your phones 3G/4G data connection. Once you've turned tethering on, any device with a wireless connection can connect to the internet via your smartphone's connection.Jul 26, 2016"

We do not do this. We do not use our smart  phones as a hot spot.

17 hours ago, docj said:

Using the phone as a hotspot can make the phone heat up but so does using it for turn-by-turn navigation or streaming video. Pretty much any use that requires it be plugged in will heat it up to the point where the battery is probably affected.  How much it is affected is anyone's guess.  A lot of what CSR's tell you is no more fact-checked than what you can read on the internet.

Last year my six month old Galaxy S7 had to be replaced under warranty because its battery had swelled.  Would this have happened if I wasn't using it as a hotspot?  Who knows?

Yep on the CSR's Roulette of solid info... Double, triple check is worth the effort. (And of course anything you read on the internet is golden!!!)

And a follow on comment to Joel's S7 battery bulge. We had a Motorola RAZR M (May have been Maxx - memory fade:)!) that we used our as our primary Hotspot for about 2 1/2 years. I then decided to wait for the Maximum Signal Max Amp to make it thru the garbage hurdles that the FCC put MS thru. But wanted to get something to replace out older 3G Wilson Sleek... So I went with a WeBoost (Wilson) Sleek to handle the LTE boosting duties until the Max Amp came out. (And then reposition the Sleek to the Toad in case we needed it.). 

I placed the new sleek in the communication cabinet where the 3G version had been (And where our antenna cable came in from above.). Got to our first campground, went back and placed the Motorola in the cradle as I had always done with he 3G version. Plugged both of the power supplies in (One to the phone, the other to the Sleek.) and we were good to go. 

Four days later, after several hours of streaming and surfing during this period, went back to grab the Motorola as we were going to drive into the nearby town. BURNED MY FINGERS (BURNED!) on the metal part of the Sleek where the Antenna attaches. The whole unit was very unpleasant to touch with bare hands. The Motorola battery was bulging. And the cabinet area the Sleek had been laying in was IMO hot enough to worry about longer time usage triggering a fire. 

Now I can't say that the heat of the Sleek caused the Motorola battery to bulge. But the timing was sure interesting. And yes, after a call with WeBoost where I asked them to exchange my unit for another one - they answer was 'those temps are normal'... I told the rep BS (Don't usually say BS on a phone call like this, but it ticked me of that WeBoost would not step up to admit they had a dangerous product.) that two things can happen: 1) Shorter life of the Sleek, as electronics don't like sustained periods of high temperatures; 2) Fires could result with their product. He just kept saying the standard script he was taught to say... I ended up reminding him that this product, or this specific unit of their product BURNED MY FINGERS. And that it had also melted the vinyl on the dash when I got it out of the cabinet and out to cool (Had the front windows and door opened, and thought it was cool enough to set on the dash - not!). 

So back to battery bulging. If anyone is using the Sleek, do place it on a heat sink like protective area (We used an old stoneware dinner salad plate from Goodwill.) and do add a buffer spacer between the Sleek and the Phone. (We used a 3/8" small nylon block I had left over from a project.)

The heat may not be the cause of battery bulging, but, sure is not good for the phones electronics either... (We very seldom use the Sleek now. Pulled it out of the car at the Grand Canyon recently to see how it would do. Ended up using it for about two days.).

Best to all,

Smitty 

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

33 minutes ago, richfaa said:

Tethering is when you turn your smartphone into a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot and share your phones 3G/4G data connection. Once you've turned tethering on, any device with a wireless connection can connect to the internet via your smartphone's connection.Jul 26, 2016"

We do not do this. We do not use our smart  phones as a hot spot.

I was trying to follow your posts, do you have a question or just stating this? It looks like one of your earlier posts said you had 50gb total of use your last month, 32gb of of that was mifi use.   If that is normal usage per month, you can expect going forward you will be throttled after 10gb on the mifi device. Your phone speed will still be normal since they are separate lines. Since you still have 2 phone lines, you have another 20gb of hotspot/tethering at your disposal (10gb each line), but your only two options are to turn on phone tethering that you currently don't do or take the sim out of the phone and put it in the hotspot to use up it's 10gb of allowed hotspot use on that line. 

We have 3 devices(lines( Mifi and two smart phones.We used a total o 49.86 G 32.56 of which was charged  on the Mi Fi device. We were told by Verizon Tech services we had 22 G PER device.

48 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

I was trying to follow your posts, do you have a question or just stating this? It looks like one of your earlier posts said you had 50gb total of use your last month, 32gb of of that was mifi use.   If that is normal usage per month, you can expect going forward you will be throttled after 10gb on the mifi device. Your phone speed will still be normal since they are separate lines. Since you still have 2 phone lines, you have another 20gb of hotspot/tethering at your disposal (10gb each line), but your only two options are to turn on phone tethering that you currently don't do or take the sim out of the phone and put it in the hotspot to use up it's 10gb of allowed hotspot use on that line. 

Thanks for the explanation.  we will continue to check speed this month and see if we slow  down after 10G on the MiFi device.We were told repeatedly by Verizon Tech services that  it would not happen. If what you say is the way it is we were better off on our  previous 40G plan and have been led astray by Verizon. We can not trust Verizon for the proper information as we get something different every times we talk to them.

24 minutes ago, richfaa said:

Thanks for the explanation.  we will continue to check speed this month and see if we slow  down after 10G on the MiFi device.We were told repeatedly by Verizon Tech services that  it would not happen. If what you say is the way it is we were better off on our  previous 40G plan and have been led astray by Verizon. We can not trust Verizon for the proper information as we get something different every times we talk to them.

Yeah, it's sad when Verizon's own reps don't understand what they are selling and you are right many people have been led astray by mis-information, and like you have ditched their "shared" plans in favor of these new unlimited plans that don't quite live up to their name. However, that's why it's a blessing to have people like @Technomadia that understand all this and have inside connections to get the real scoop. They have been sharing since the very beginning the technical terms that are actually written in the small print of verizon's TOS and stated this was going to happen sooner or later even though many tried to claim they were told otherwise. Even though I'm a tech guy myself and I work in the telecom industry, I've learned so much from being part of their https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ forum and reading about all the stuff they put together and share. I wasn't sure when I first joined how much use I would find it, but it's been a huge help. 

My next path that I have to dive into and learn more about is the cellular boosters and they have been doing a great job keeping us up to date on all the new releases and actual field testing so the info is well worth it to me to be a part of their group and forums. 

Archived