Verizon Unlimited Data Plan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been on the unlimited Verizon plan for about two months now and aside from the extra cost, we love it.

The only inconvenience is remembering to juggle between our 3 devices (1 hot spot and 2 phones) but otherwise there's no going back for us. If we have been throttled we haven't noticed it.

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

Just because you turn on teatherimg does not give any wifi device access to your internet. You set up a password and they have to have a password to use your teatherimg

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

We have the unlimited plan and four lines, one jetpack, two phones and an iPad.  So that will give us 40 gig of 4G hotspot use.  Most of my internet usage is just basic surfing, forums, Amazon, etc. which should be fine on 3G speeds.  It's just nice not to be limited to 30 gigs each month.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

3 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

Yeah, it's sad when Verizon's own reps don't understand what they are selling and you are right many people have been led astray by mis-information, and like you have ditched their "shared" plans in favor of these new unlimited plans that don't quite live up to their name. However, that's why it's a blessing to have people like @Technomadia that understand all this and have inside connections to get the real scoop. They have been sharing since the very beginning the technical terms that are actually written in the small print of verizon's TOS and stated this was going to happen sooner or later even though many tried to claim they were told otherwise. Even though I'm a tech guy myself and I work in the telecom industry, I've learned so much from being part of their https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ forum and reading about all the stuff they put together and share. I wasn't sure when I first joined how much use I would find it, but it's been a huge help. 

In the other thread about this New Verizon Plan, I tried to explain to everyone exactly what you are telling them now.  I was shouted down and called a "non-believer".  I quit trying because nobody wanted to hear it.  The truth has always been in the Terms of Service for anyone to read.

You can't believe anything the CSR's say for any of the cellular providers.  Some are informed, some are not.  Among those who are well informed, even some of them will say whatever you want to hear.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I reported exactly what we saw in terms  of speed checking several times a day to various servers. We did not see 3G speeds at 10G on our Mifi  last month We did not see throttling after 22G on the MiFi except for one Friday morning here near Disneyworld.

We will now assume that Verizon was letting everyone slide for the first couple of months and we will see 3G speeds at10G on our Mifi. We continue to check as we approach the 10G limit on the Mifi we are at 6.12G today. We use speed test and visual route server as our speed checker.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

19 hours ago, Ronbo said:

Just because you turn on teatherimg does not give any wifi device access to your internet. You set up a password and they have to have a password to use your teatherimg

A good reason to put a router that supports "WiFi as WAN" between the hotspots and everything else, including any wireless printers.  That way all those devices only have to know one SSID (wifi name)/password combination to communicate.  The router is the only device that needs to know all the SSID/password combinations.  We have a Pepware router and many others use WiFRanger models.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

This is our second month on Verizon's unlimited plan.  I primarily use a Jetpack (MIFI) and connect five devices (2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and one Epson wireless printer).  Last month the MIFI hit 99.0GB without any slow down that I could notice.  My Phones are not set up as Hotspots.  We just use the cellular data for the iPhones.  IPad connect only to the MIFI.  This month, ten days into the cycle at 25GB on the MIFI with no throttling.  So far, with a DW that surfs Pinterst much of the day, I like the new plan.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:26 PM, richfaa said:

I reported exactly what we saw in terms  of speed checking several times a day to various servers. We did not see 3G speeds at 10G on our Mifi  last month We did not see throttling after 22G on the MiFi except for one Friday morning here near Disneyworld.

We will now assume that Verizon was letting everyone slide for the first couple of months and we will see 3G speeds at10G on our Mifi. We continue to check as we approach the 10G limit on the Mifi we are at 6.12G today. We use speed test and visual route server as our speed checker.

Month 3 on the Verizon UN limited plan and we can say without a  doubt that Verizon did not know what the UN limited  plan was and miss lead many users including myself. We were told over a over again by Verizon Customer service, Verizon Tech services and Verizon Company stores that we had 22 g per Device and throttling would occur only in High use areas. That is not true.We saw no throttling or slow down the first two months then got "the Email" informing us that our WiFi device had reached the 10G limit and would slow to 3G speed.....We were NEVER advised by ANY VERIZON rep that would happen. We were assured upon questioning  that we had 22 g per device and the WFI was a device

We were on the phone with Verizon Customer service today for about two hours discussing the situation as were according to customer service many, many other Verizon users. Short story we got our previous unlimited talk and text 40G plan back at the same pricing , no charge for the switch,I do not think it was deliberate on Verizon's part but rather Verizon field personnel did not have the proper information or did not understand the UN limited plan and miss lead customers.

Well anyhow that three ring circus is over.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We were told the same thing BUT we were also told that after 10GB of "hot spot" use, that portion wound be throttled.  So, after talking to about 6 people at a variety of stores her is what I think the plan is:

1.  Your phones will be able to use 22 gigs of data before being throttled.

2.  All hot spot use will the throttled after 10 gigs.  This includes your phones or a MiFi device.

We have a 30 gig plan but we go over that limit sometimes.  So to prevent that we will be switching to the unlimited plan.  We will use our phones for 9.5 gigs or so and then use the MiFi jetpack for 9.5.  If there is still days left in the month we'll just deal with the throttling as it comes.  And, we're going to save a few bucks on the price.

StarlifterFE
Retired USAF C-141 Flight Enginner
Full-Timers
2005 Holiday Rambler Ambasador

2010 Honda CR-V

The way I understand it, you will only be throttled after using your devise as a hotspot.  Your devise will still get 4G speeds if not being used as a hotspot, say for example streaming a movie on an iPad or streaming a movie using an HDMI adapter to your tv set.  Also the slower speeds, 3 G is still adaquate for web surfing or downloading movies to watch later, say overnight when you sleep.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

It really stinks they are throttling so slow at 600kb/s or .6mb/s. Even my 3g only Verizon Jetpack still usually pulls 1-2mb/s most times, sometimes even faster, but it only can use 3g technology which is going away. If they had set the limit at say 2mb/s it still would have been adequate. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Dennis, they really are throttling at  600 kbps. Or lower...the "throttle" is not real accurate. 600 kbps is basically unusable, IMO. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Then if they don't throttle, we wouldn't use the Speed Test so much aiding the slow down.

I Use       https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

I have seem upload speeds as lower than 100 K but only used about 60% of my data. I think they have some fuzzy math.

About 80% of my Data is on the Verizon Jetpack but that has been difficult since returning to NW Illinois a week ago. I have had the internet dropped numerous times ( Verizon resets the Tower and suppose to work or call in 3-4 days), Always tomorow.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:03 AM, StarlifterFE said:

Does anyone have this plan and using a MiFi device? Have you used your phone as a "hot spot" and noticed a large drain on your battery? Does that shorten the battery life?

We do not have a MiFi device, but we are on Verizon's Unlimited plan which we upgraded to two or three weeks ago.  We have two phones and a tablet, all of which can be used as a hotspot.

Yes, if you use your phone as a hotspot, it will drain your battery faster than if it's not being used as a hotspot, so keep a method of charging the phone at hand.  Does it shorten the life of the battery?  I have no idea, but our previous phone before the upgrade was used for two years and was our only method of getting online with our computer.  The battery was still going strong when it was "decommissioned."

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

A week ago I was in a Verizon company store in Oregon and the salespeople were telling people they didn't know anyone that was getting slowed down at 10GB of hotspot usage and did not expect it to actually happen.  I was buying a 7730L Jetpack to replace my 5510L, since the 7730L will work in Canada.  They wanted to move me to the unlimited plan and thought I was crazy to stay with my "old plan".  They were also trying to convince a woman to ditch cable internet and use her Verizon phone as a hotspot instead.  I kept my mouth shut since I was in their space and wanted no glitches getting my new Jetpack activated.  That store will have many unhappy customers.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

10 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

A week ago I was in a Verizon company store in Oregon and the salespeople were telling people they didn't know anyone that was getting slowed down at 10GB of hotspot usage and did not expect it to actually happen.  I was buying a 7730L Jetpack to replace my 5510L, since the 7730L will work in Canada.  They wanted to move me to the unlimited plan and thought I was crazy to stay with my "old plan".  They were also trying to convince a woman to ditch cable internet and use her Verizon phone as a hotspot instead.  I kept my mouth shut since I was in their space and wanted no glitches getting my new Jetpack activated.  That store will have many unhappy customers.

We got the same crappy story at a Verizon Company store in Winter Garden, Fl when we upgraded to the 7730L.These are the folks who told me 22 g per device and throttled only when in a high use area. For the first two months March and April we were not slowed down  at 10G on our wifi hotspot but they got us in May. I think the Verizon stores thought that was the way the plan worked.

My, my.  My first two months on Verizon's unlimited plan with my new 7730L did not see any throttling.  May, my third month, throttled me to 3G until the end of my billing cycle (27 more days of iffy-ness and no speed at all).

Now taking a hard look at AT&T's plan.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

I have the ATT Car Connect 22G plan and have not heard of anyone being slowed down. ATT does say that if there is congestion on the network you will be slowed down.

I have been slowed down with a mifi but not yet with the Car Connect.

58 minutes ago, Aggie79-82a said:

Agree that AT&T's is similar.  The AT&T manager told me the truth at the beginning of our discussion.  That is the real difference I'm evaluating at this point.   There are no good choices.

He may think he is telling the truth so did the Verizon rep.

Per Technomadia, AT&T's plan is better than Verizon for the hotspot devices. The standalone hotspot that is added to a single line or multi-line Unlimited Plus plan is not hard throttled at 10gb like Verizon. You are only subject to network management after 22GB. However, you are subject to the 10gb throttling for tether use on a smart phone / tablet device, so you definitely need the stand alone mifi. If you add the mifi to a multi-line account, it's only $20 which is great. If you try to add it to a single line account, it turns it into a mult-line account and now the hotspot is an extra $45/mo over the single line plan. That's still not too bad though if it's just you with one line and a mifi. 

Yes the car connected Mobley also is only subject to 22gb network management also and no hard throttling, but it seems those are getting terribly hard to find right now. 

All the info is here - https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-tries-again-new-unlimited-plus-choice-plans-are-way-more-competitive/

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

• 2 weeks later...

The Mobley is getting hard to find.  We have been looking for about 3 wks now and cannot find one.  Not even the Chicago area stores have them.  I personally think AT&T pulled them until they raise the price back to $40.  I think I read a date in July that will happen.  That would still be a great deal for us, so hope they come back soon.

Pat DeJong

Archived