Energy Management System Question

I have a 5th wheel rv with a 50 amp service and want to add an Energy Management System to protect my electrical equipment.  I want to get the hard wired unit but was wondering if I only have 30 amps available and use an adapter on my cord will the EMS shut down because there is only one phase of power coming in?  I only have one ac unit at this time so 30 amps is generally enough.   Thanks for any help

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

No, it will not shut down.  It will work just like you are plugged into 50 amp.  All the 50 to 30 adapter does is tie L1 and L2 together so 30 amps is sent down both lines (not two separate 30 amps, but 30 amps total).  The Surgeguard and Progressive Industries 50 amp units both see this as properly wired power and allow it to pass through with no issues (as long as everything else is also wired correctly).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

9 minutes ago, Fulltimer51 said:

What you are describing is not an Energy Management System, but a surgprotector. Not important really, but might help you when doing searches for products. 

I have to disagree as a surge protector only protects from surges and has no under/over voltage functions like what he is speaking of have. Both Progressive and TRC-Surge Guard sell surge protectors but those most of us recommend are actually much more and are what field techs would call line monitors. If you buy the product from Progressive, they do call it EMS.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A lot of 30 & 50 AMP 120V RV services have a EMS " Energy Management System" That has nothing to do with surge protection or over/under Volts from shore power.

The ones with Surge Protection and under/over voltage protection. The manufactures(Progressive) call them "Surge Protector"

They are 2 different controllers of 120V in a RV. And are called by different names.

Energy Management System and Surge Protector. :) But both do manage 120V.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

On 4/18/2017 at 8:34 AM, Biker56 said:

The ones with Surge Protection and under/over voltage protection. The manufactures(Progressive) call them "Surge Protector"

The problem here is that the public understands the term "surge suppressor" and so the manufacturers describe their products in terms of what they think the public understands.  The link Biker provides is not to the manufacturer's website, but to one of may retailers who label products any way they wish.

If you look at the Progressive website you will see what I've attached.  Yes, Progressive makes surge suppressors, but they also make what they call EMS with Surge Protection.  The devices that Kirk is describing are those on the right side of the picture (regardless of whether they are portable or hard-wired).

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I sent Progressive a email and ask what their EMS in their model description is for.

Received this reply back from them.

Hi,

Good morning!

EMS stands for electoral management system.

Thank you.

Anthony

So Progressive "EMS" it is different then " Energy Management System" as many think it means. :rolleyes:

369070033.jpg

2 hours ago, Biker56 said:

EMS stands for electoral management system.

And since we all "get a charge" out of electoral management that is, no doubt, how electrical management became electoral management!  ^_^

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Just hope it all clears up the OP on what he needs to buy.

A 50AMP  Hardwired EMS Surge & Electrical Protection will work on whatever 120V AMP he plugs into at campgrounds.15-20-30 or 50(or is it 100?) is available at many campgrounds.

But Progressive does call their Hardwired a "Electrical Management System" (EMS) on their web pages. Not a  "electoral management system" :wacko:

369070033.jpg

Just a note in case you are going to use a portable generator with the HW 50C.

We have a Cedar Creek 50amp with the Progressive EMS-HW50C and will always have this on our rig. We also have a Champion 3100 we use with a dog bone. The first time we hooked it to the trailer we received an error on the panel, I called Progressive and they said it was normal and I needed a "Generator Plug", it has something to do with grounding and the neutral.

https://progressiveindustries.myshopify.com/collections/rv-connectors/products/generator-plug

We ordered the plug and all is good. Thankfully we were testing at the house and weren't out in the middle of nowhere.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

Archived