VA Annual Income Limits?

John and Cathy

I am honorably discharged / no disability / vet. Served on Active duty 1979-1983. Current domicile is Livingston / Polk county/ TX. (Escapees) Spend winters months in Dallas area/ Kaufman county. Spend summers in Weber county Utah. What county will the VA use when calculating my Annual Income Limits? There is quite a difference between Polk county TX/ Livingston vs. Dallas/Kaufman county TX.

Anybody know?

Thanks,

Howdy!

I would suggest if you are at the Escapees in Livingston, TX go into Livingston and talk to the Polk County Veterans Service Officer. Her name is Melissa Gates. Her office is located at 602 E Church street, Livingston, TX  (936-327-6838). She can assist you filling any paperwork you may need. She helped me fill for my hearing loss, and a couple of appeals. But after four years with her help I received my rating including back pay.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Hey Kirk,

Don't really know what the "Means test" is. I have never used VA medical benefits in the past. We always got the benefits through my employer. Now that we are full time RV we need medical coverage or we pay the ObamaCare penalty. I was hoping to utilize VA to meet the ObamaCare requirement for coverage. DW and I still work seasonally, hence the question regarding income limits. So you think it depends on the VA office where I apply? Interesting.

Thank you 

As far as I can tell  it won't  make a difference on the income unless you have really really limited income.  If you are not service connected disablity you will have co-pay.  I have been to VA's and had to do a "means" test and did not make any difference although once a new issue cropped up and I was moved up 1 level but not enough for any compenstation or even eliminate the co-pays.

If you are going to more than one VA it will cause issues as they don't play well together. I would sign up at the one where you spend the most time. You will need to see the primary at least once a year.  You will get a form showing you have adequite coverage for the Affordable Care act.  Since I go to 2 different VA's, I get one form from each VA and one from Medicare, plus one more from my co-insurance.

On 4/18/2017 at 10:23 AM, John and Cathy said:

Hey Kirk,

Don't really know what the "Means test" is. ......................

. So you think it depends on the VA office where I apply? Interesting.

When I first applied for VA benefits, because I am neither retired from the armed forces nor disabled/medically discharged, I had to supply information on my current income. I was not asked for my federal tax returns but was asked to list all income, dependents, and any medical expenses for each of us. That was in 2001 and then I did it again two different times prior to my approval for medical services and that approval came with a copay for services and prescriptions. I have had benefits since 2011 and was asked for an updated means test form once since that time. It could be that rules have changed but I continue to pay a copay and really have no problem with doing so.

On the location that you are assumed to get services, my original application was made at the VA office located on the old Fort Ord in California and that showed on my record. The next time I applied I was in Florida and my record changed to Orlando VA. When I bought my current home-base I reapplied using this address and was then approved for the Tyler out-patient clinic, and for prescriptions from Bonham, TX. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Over the years I have been told they would like me to do it annual, or at least once or twice this was the last one I needed to do. I have to do it at both of the VA's I go to.  My point there can easily be confusion to say the least. It can be a good thing to  do an update as something could have changed like when they told me to go through the exams for the agent orange registry and then the one that had to do with being stationed at Camp Lejuene during a certain time period when everybody was drinking and showering in contaminated water.  I have gone multiple years without update with no problem.  I also get bills for co-pay from each hospital for services there all paid to the same account no. in Atlanta, Ga. And some of the co-pay is covered by my co-insurance but the limit on time to pay can cause you to be delinquent and even if it is one penny you can get a $15. service charge. I have gotten a bill for 4 cents that I paid in time to avoid the penalty and I have overpaid to be sure and they had to turn around and send me a check,  I am currently expecting one for $18. for overpayment but they have to do it even if they only owe me one cent. 

On 4/18/2017 at 11:46 AM, TheDuke said:

Unless something has changed, the va will look at your federal filling  not your state for how much you make. 

I have seen a VA means test for each state..depends on what state you claim as your primary resident.The more expensive state,the more money you can make to qualify. They look at your federal income tax form for the year that you apply..

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

Archived