Powertank to refill tires

I am looking for anyone who has or has used the Powertank system.  I am thinking of purchasing one.   I have a 5th wheel trailer and an F450.  Max PSI I use in 100#.   How long does the PowerTank RV system last under normal use,  and how can the tank be recharged?

Thanks

2005 New Horizons 36ft 5th/upgrades-Generator, Disk Brakes, Solar Package, Inverter. and more
2008 Ford F450 crew cab DRW

K3ROY
http://www.roanontheroad.blogspot.com/

We have a 10 lb Power Tank System.  We acquired it 10 years ago when we were having issues topping off our trailer tires at 115 psi.  The truck air compressor was only good for 100 psi.

The 10 lb tank typically lasted a year of topping off the trailer's 7 tires, the truck's 6 tires, and the toad's 5 tires.

We usually recharge the tank at a fire extinguisher company.

Besides having more than enough fill pressure, we like that the system is silent meaning filling tires cold (before moved) is easy and we can do it any time without annoying neighbors.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

22 minutes ago, Roy & Ann said:

I am looking for anyone who has or has used the Powertank system.  I am thinking of purchasing one.   I have a 5th wheel trailer and an F450.  Max PSI I use in 100#.   How long does the PowerTank RV system last under normal use,  and how can the tank be recharged?

Thanks

Hi Roy,

I have a 15# system in my fifth wheel and a 20# system in the class A. I love them. I tank last us over a year. A 20# tank is about 30.00 to fill at places that sell welding gas, paintball places, and my favourite...places that handle home brewing supplies.

Warning...the system comes with beautiful tanks. However, A lot of places only want to swap tanks...not refill.  So, we bought a couple tanks, 100.00 filled and exchange those. I fill the pretty ones where I can. I actually carry a spare tank in the coach trailer four long trips. 

Had ours for seven years and love them. 

event.png

I also have a 15# model. Fill in the places already mentioned. It is not always convenient to find them, but the tank goes about a year. Well worth it IMO, for the convenience.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I went to a welding supply and bought a used aluminum 15# co2 tank with a handle. I already had a regulator and hose. I get the tank refilled unless they have an aluminum in stock. If so they can swap my handle over. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Another option - less expensive fewer options but will work for the application (Poly Performance)

Regulator only

Full Kit

Other pieces

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

You can make your own - for way less $ than the "kits".

Check any of the off road forums.

The off road folks like to air *down* for off-road, then air back *up* when resuming highway use - as well as for off-road flat tires.

Lots of "how-to" info available

New aluminum tanks (I have 3) are readily available from suppliers at reasonable prices, as well as regulators & hose.

I have both fixed regulator (all you really need) - as well as an adjustable regulator (which I leave at my S&B home)

Refill at any home brew store (I use them), paint ball shops, welding supply. - Never had any problem of them "requiring" an exchange, although it's quite common -to exchange if you wish- at the home brew shops. The exchange bottles are fine, but often heavier steel tanks.

I'll come back with the/a tank supplier's site.

**On edit:

Here's the "come back"....

Google: "Build Your Own CO2 System - Highest Quality & lowest Cost"

(Think the first 5 words are all you need)

This will take you to lots of forums with reprints of the original  from the Jeep Forum - by the above title.

Great in-depth info - including Power tank, etc..

The tank supplier I used (as in the above Jeep forum post) is  -  Beverage Factory dot com - IMO good prices & IIRC shipping included.

Interesting topic. I was going to purchase one their Powertank system-tanks but at the time thought it was a little pricey. I have a 12vdc 150lbs. Viair-400P compressors. it costs about $275.00 to $300.00, depending nowhere you buy it. I bought mine at a 4Wheel Warehouse location. They sell them on Amazon and they now have a 400p-RV compressor. I think the only difference between the two models is the hose length. 

I was not trying to hijack the thread , but thought that might help.

"I woke up again not dead today."

Remember..."Without Truck Drivers America Stops" 

"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"Take me to the Brig....I want to see the real Marines" Lt.Gen. L.B. "Chesty" Puller during a Battalion inspection.
"Semper Fi"

Those Powertank are simply a CO2 tank that was prettied up and includes some nice accessories.  I used to own a welding supply business and CO2 is pretty cheap, and if you ask, you can find some that will fill your tank.  I own mine and fill as needed. There are different pressure regulators available, so with a 150PSI regulators, a hose and a tire chuck, you can accomodate a bunch of tasks.  I dont recommend using the plastic hoses that are naturally coiled, as they will get brittle from the cold of the CO2 and often crack, almost always when you NEED it.

Craigslist often has CO2 tanks for very reasonable. 

Marcel

The regulator is the most expensive part of a Power Tank package.  It is designed to have a refill range that fits the tires.  Nothing like 150 psi into a car tire.   

The fittings are not the cheap stuff you get at WalMart

You get what you pay for and there is always somebody who can do it cheaper because they have the parts in the shop.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived