Basement Doors bolt wont move?

2000 Itasca plastic basement door bolts wont move. Tried oil, is there a spring? How do you get the bolt assembly out?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

If anything like my coach, the bolts have probably broken inside the door. Does the handle still move?  There is probably linkage between the handle and the bolts on each side of the door.  

When mine broke I had to open the adjacent door and pry the bolt/catch apart from the side.  Fairly easy to do.

Here is a link to replacement parts (if yours are like mine):  http://www.motorhomelatches.com/Default.asp

Lemp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

MY Bolts are in the door itself. The hand and linkage are good at the center. But it seems I may have to pop off end of door to gain access to the bolt. My bolt mechanism look like the ones on the link you displaced but my assemble is buried in the door frame.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

When mine broke I was able to use a thin screw driver pushed in from the front to work the broken one sideways to get it out of the way. Make sure someone keeps the opening latch out so the good plunger/bolt won't keep the door latched. They make metal replacements so it won't happen again.

After the door is open you may have to drill the pop rivets out to remove the mechanism - some have screws, some pop rivets. There are 4 screws on the back of the center section that have to removed so everything will come out.

This is the web site for the metal ones HERE

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Winnebago uses the same center latch handle on most models, it attaches to the locking bolt with a steel rod. By chance can you access the inside of that door from an adjoining compartment ie: a common area? If you can, the inside of the latch may be accessed by removing the plastic cover. You may discover the cable has came loose from the latch and nothing is wrong with the bolt assembly.

If that is not possible, see if you can open the adjoining compartment door and see the non-working latch base that screws into the framework. If you see that base, try to use a right-angle screwdirver to remove the 2 screws holding the latch base to the framework. This is the Winnebago part #  for updated latch:

Slide Bolt
121947-01-01A Bolt-
Slide, Latch, Steel           Source: Winnebago parts  catalog pdf

Once you get the door open and the latch must be replaced, this is how one man did it: http://www.wolfswords.com/motorhome/door_latches/index.html

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There should be two rods linking the handle to the bolts at the edges of the doors.  You will have to gain access to the interior of the door and remove the cover over the latch mechanism.  After that, there should be some clips visible that will unhook the rods.  Then you will have to remove the bolt assembly by either drilling out the pop rivets or removing screws (not sure how yours are mounted).  then the bolt assembly and rod will slide out.  Don't pull to rod all the way out if you can avoid it.

Good luck,

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Archived