Non Interstate Road Map?

Actually, now that you bring it up I can't recall ever seeing one.  Many roads and parts of those roads became service roads or fell to neglect in some areas.  We rarely travel interstates and when we plan trips we use a regular road atlas and follow our own plans for travel.  There are still many great sights and restaurants to find but sadly most have also disappeared due to the big chains building at interstate exits.  There was a great book written several decades ago by William Least Heat Moon called Blue Highways.  Great read.  Good luck in your search, I'll be following this thread.

10 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Pick US highways, they go through small town and are generally good roads,

That is what we usually do as well. Our Rand McNally road atlas also shows the US routes pretty well.  We find that we much prefer the US routes in most places unless we happen to be traveling through an area which we have been many times and we simply want to pass through as quickly as possible. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Looking for a map of us with non interstate routes?

Most maps show U.S. and state highways and depending on the scale county and local roads. What is your objective? In other posts, you asked for GPS coordinates. Does your GPS have an avoid interstates option? Many mapping programs and online trip planners have an avoid interstate option. You recently asked questions about New Mexico, Colorado and Utah. New Mexico has two East/West interstates (I-10 & I-40) and one North/South interstate (I-25) Colorado has two East/West interstates (I-70 &I-76) and one North/South interstate (I-25). Utah has two East/West interstates (I-70 & I-80) and one North/South interstate(I-15). Going much of anywhere in these states will be on routes other than interstates.

My interest was to find secondary road maps with out the confusion of Interstates all over the place. I have discovered that if I avoid the Interstates with the GPS she will may times take me down farm roads that I might of other wise avoided. I'm looking for a quick look map to discover more roads like US 54, US 71, US 67 US 50 or US 90. I would suppose these roads would be called Truck Routes. Good roads just not Interstates. And yes I can continue to pick my way over an a map on my own but I think am looking for a Hwy Map that is pre Interstate HWy?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

We usually travel the US routes and find that Google maps does a pretty good job , with the advantage of seeing the actual road surface , using street view .

You might find what you're looking for in this 'list' :

https://www.google.com/search?q=nare+do+wells&oq=nare+do+wells&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=pre+interstate+us+highway+map

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

You might find what you're looking for in this 'list' :

The problem with such a list is that most of those maps will be sadly out of date and so show roads that no longer exist and other new roads will not appear on them. 

Check out the "official" state highway maps you usually find in state welcome centers. They do have the interstate highways but they are usually large enough to show the highways that are usually left off of the national maps such as those found in road atlases. Demand for maps such as you seek was probably never that high but today with the popularity of GPS use, demand for paper maps is rapidly declining. I suspect that the day is not far off when paper maps will not be commonly available.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When we drove historic route 66 a few years ago we discovered parts of it are now I-40. Much of it was frontage road and business routes through towns but you could not drive the entire route without entering I-40. Old maps would not have eliminated this.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The best thing I have found is when using Google Maps when you have loction and destination selected you will be able to open "rout options" heare you can select Avoid, Hiways,Tolls, Ferries. This will give you what you are looking for.

Bill 

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

I guess I'm not seeing your problem with taking a state map and routing yourself on secondary roads... just avoid looking at the interstates.  We did that all the time and any good atlas shows the secondary roads well.

Since we spent a lot of time in the western states we also purchased (pricey) the Benchmark series of individual state road atlases.  They show in big print secondary roads and even good gravel roads.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:24 PM, 2gypsies said:

I guess I'm not seeing your problem with taking a state map and routing yourself on secondary roads... just avoid looking at the interstates.  We did that all the time and any good atlas shows the secondary roads well.

Since we spent a lot of time in the western states we also purchased (pricey) the Benchmark series of individual state road atlases.  They show in big print secondary roads and even good gravel roads.

X2.  On both counts.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 4/16/2017 at 9:20 AM, Kirk Wood said:

Check out the "official" state highway maps you usually find in state welcome centers. They do have the interstate highways but they are usually large enough to show the highways that are usually left off of the national maps such as those found in road atlases. Demand for maps such as you seek was probably never that high but today with the popularity of GPS use, demand for paper maps is rapidly declining. I suspect that the day is not far off when paper maps will not be commonly available.

^^^This is a great suggestion. Not only are they free, but very useful in terms of identifying secondary highways and alternate routes. They also usually include all state parks and other state gov't attractions.

Another idea is the DeLorme "Gazetteer" line of paper maps. These are the best, most detailed road maps you will find, and also include lots of valuable information such as elevation contours, small streams, lakes, Forest Service boundaries, etc. They are so thorough that they print a separate map for each state, and each one is like the size of a large magazine. That makes it hard to carry around more than a few. But if there are a few states you spend most of your time in, they're well worth it. 

Lodestar Knife & Tool

Dozens of vintage and custom knives for sale!

2008 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2014 Scamp 13

Archived