Need 120v outlet for residential range

2007 Teton scottsdale XT4

putting in residential range. Need 120v outlet for lights, ignition, etc. can I use the plug by the refrigerator or should I pull from the water heater 120v since I'm replacing water heater with gas only tankless?

will be putting refrigerator on inverter, so maybe that answers my question on which circuit to use  

thanks,

Shannon 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

I'm not going to answer this but am going to ask for more info for the folks that will. Is this a gas range with just electric  light, timer and igniter.  Onthe the tankles will it have electric ignition.  Is your rig going to be a 50Amp or a 30amp. This info will make it easier for them to answer your questions.

6 minutes ago, bigjim said:

...but am going to ask for more info for the folks that will.

:lol: Exactly!

Need more info and would also need to know how you plan to run your inverter. A single dedicated circuit for you reefer or are you running it "whole house" through your power distribution panel?

If the little dab your gonna use is what I think it is I would say plug with your refridg or you should have another outlet up above in cabinet above the hood for fan & light. I have never seen an electric residential range that uses 120 so I think its safe to say that it is gas considering you mention igniters also ;)

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Yup, gas range, just need igniter, light and fan. Forgot about the microwave plug above, I might just run down from there and conceal behind backsplash. Or I can pull over from the water heater since the tankless is 12v only.

yes, Teton, 50 amp service, will have whole house inverter and a small one for reefer only, like how Chad wired his in his new DRV.

Put it on the fridge circuit. Saves setting the clock every time you move, plus using a lighter if you need the stove on the road.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I personally would run it to the now defunct water heater 120v circuit.  That will isolate it to its own breaker in the power panel.  I would, however, move this breaker to the sub panel if it is currently in the main panel.  This way it will be powered by the whole house inverter.  By code in a house, the refrigerator has to be on a dedicated solo circuit.  I assume it is the same in an RV, but have not looked it up specifically.  However, in all the RV's I have owned and have worked on the refrigerator had its own dedicated circuit.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

19 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I personally would run it to the now defunct water heater 120v circuit.  That will isolate it to its own breaker in the power panel.  I would, however, move this breaker to the sub panel if it is currently in the main panel.  This way it will be powered by the whole house inverter.  By code in a house, the refrigerator has to be on a dedicated solo circuit.  I assume it is the same in an RV, but have not looked it up specifically.  However, in all the RV's I have owned and have worked on the refrigerator had its own dedicated circuit.

When you said this, I immediately thought, I don't remember a refrigerator circuit. So went back and looked. I do not have a dedicated circuit. Here's what I have:

Main Principal 50A   Surge Breaker 50A  

Dryer 20A AC #1 20A
Microwave 20A Lavatory PWR 20A
Converter 20A AC #2 20A
Drivers Slide 20A Bedroom TV 20A
Water Heat GFI 15A Washer GFI 15A
Kit GFI 20A Aritc Pak GFI 15A

I have no idea what circuit the refrigerator plug is on. I assume Kitchen GFI. 

I thought most refrigerator receptacles were already wired into the inverter. Have you checked yours out?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I thought most refrigerator receptacles were already wired into the inverter. Have you checked yours out?

There is no "standard" way that RV refrigerators are wired. They may or may not be on the inverter. And they may or may not have a dedicated circuit for 120V feed.  Mind you, they SHOULD have a dedicated circuit - just as the microwave should. But often, in my experience, they do not. And I've (re)wired many, many rigs installing solar and reworking the electrical. 

You "should" put in a dedicated circuit for the refrigerator. As stated, using the now defunct hot water heater outlet feed may accomplish that. And as Chad said, move it to the subpanel. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

As Jack said, there really isn't a standard way of doing things in an RV.  I don't remember what type of refrigerator you started with in your rig.  If it was a gas absorption RV type, I'm surprised it didn't have a dedicated 120 v circuit.  The electric element in that type of fridge can pull a lot of power and might not play nicely if you plug other things into the same circuit.  If it was a residential fridge from the start, then I can see them just wiring it into the kitchen GFCI circuit because the compressor on this type refrigerator doesn't require as much power.  I still would like my fridge on its own circuit in the sub panel.  This will also make things much easier if you intend to wire the small Magnum inverter in as a secondary means of running the refrigerator while traveling.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived