Full Timers - How about insurance for possessions?

Jmcgsd

I can find all sorts of references and info on health insurance and insurance for the trailer, but little on insurance for possessions. As a new full timer I have some of our stuff with us and some in a storage unit. Not certain how to insure this. I see Progressive has some sort of a program, but I also have found numerous negative comments about it. What are you doing?

Thanks. 

Joe

One advantage of insuring with USAA is they are focused on the military so have insurance that covers your goods wherever they are. They don't do fulltimers insurance, though, so we used Foremost when traveling to be sure we had liability insurance. Some fultimer's policies limit what they will cover, though, so you may still need other insurance for your personal goods. It's just another game you have to play to get the benefits of fulltiming.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We used Foremost when we were full time.  They had a "full timer" policy that you could declare a specific value for the contents.  If you were to do a complete inventory of all the "stuff" you have with you, you would be amazed at what it would cost to replace everything.  The policy certainly wasn't cheap - close to $2000 a year for truck (MDT) and fiver with $20k for contents and that was six years ago!

Also, keep in mind that most auto "style" insurance will only cover if your using the RV less than a certain number of days per year. Anything over that your considered full time and need a different policy.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Our insurance for our stuff that was in storage was a rider on our full-time RVer policy..   very inexpensive- but also required by the storage facility.  We could get our own policy or pay big bucks for their miniscule policy.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, soos said:

Our insurance for our stuff that was in storage was a rider on our full-time RVer policy..   very inexpensive- but also required by the storage facility.  We could get our own policy or pay big bucks for their miniscule policy.

Who did I you have your full timers policy with?

thx. Joe

We have used several companies over the years.  I think many of them will write a rider.  For the past few years we have been dealing with Miller Insurance, and the policy is with 

Nationwide (Allied).

We are no longer fulltimers so have nothing in storage anymore but we still insure the rig for fulltime since we use it so much of the year.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Archived