Anyone try a Levelcheck propane checker?

Yup. Going on a couple years now and LOVE it! Is it what I would call a "must have"? Not at all.. but it sure does make life easy for no fuss highly accurate tank readings. For the most part, a decent tank side thermal strip (for a couple bucks) is sufficient and much easier than weighing. Most folks develop a pretty good "feel" for about how long an LP tank will hold them and LP is readily available so it's not a major issue if you miscalculate.

If you full-time and do extended dry camping/boondocking much I think it's more critical (worth the extra bones) to have a Truma. Ie., you hit a cold spell and have extended furnace usage... it's nice to be able to see exactly how much LP you burned overnight.

If you're asking if they work.. YES! Is it worth $70? For most... no. For me... you can pry mine from my dead cold fingers. :P

It takes all of the guess work out of tank refills if you're one to "push" your tanks. Meaning.. if I can accurately see I still have 2lbs of LP and can get another day of camping before I need to head to civiliation, I will. Prior to the truma I would have been more likely to head out early in fear of running dry.

7 minutes ago, Yarome said:

Yup. Going on a couple years now and LOVE it! Is it what I would call a "must have"? Not at all.. but it sure does make life easy for no fuss highly accurate tank readings. For the most part, a decent tank side thermal strip (for a couple bucks) is sufficient and much easier than weighing. Most folks develop a pretty good "feel" for about how long an LP tank will hold them and LP is readily available so it's not a major issue if you miscalculate.

If you full-time and do extended dry camping/boondocking much I think it's more critical (worth the extra bones) to have a Truma. Ie., you hit a cold spell and have extended furnace usage... it's nice to be able to see exactly how much LP you burned overnight.

If you're asking if they work.. YES! Is it worth $70? For most... no. For me... you can pry mine from my dead cold fingers. :P

Some folks have way too much money . ;)

70 bucks buys a lot of propane . Why not simply keep a spare bottle on hand ? 

In our case , that spare is our built in 33 gallon tank and we function off a 20 pound 'extend-a-stay' type tank . Works just fine and we have the reassurance that our spare is way more than enough to get through 'til the 20 pounder can be replaced / refilled .

Goes around , comes around .

27 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Some folks have way too much money . ;)

So you bought a $30 20lb tank, a $50 extend-a-stay kit + plumbing cost and pack 50lbs of weight around 24/7 in case you miscalculate? ;)

I'm just breaking your hump. :D It's certainly a very valid approach and very well suited for many. In my case, with a 25' trailer both space and weight are premium. The $70 Truma solution is my way of, conveniently, getting the most out of every lb of LP I'm packing, but there are certainly less expensive methods and most definately better ways to spend $70.

Sometimes you pay for convenience.

If it's a standard 20 pound tank why not just weigh it?  There are inexpensive scales designed just for this purpose.  Yes, you have to take the tank out of its mount to do it, but for my barbecue grill that's not a big problem. LP tank scale

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

When I bought my present FW, it came with hoses and such that I didn't need. I did some trading and got the LevelCheck. I most likely would have never bought it but glad I did. I think it is a must for a Class A, B or C that has a permanently mounted tank. For me I like it cause I like to be prepared for weekend if the need arrives to run the Generator or having extreme cold. I 'm using 40# tanks with the second tank hid behind the first thus the LevelCheck gives me peace of mind.

The only negative it doesn't work as easily on the cold frosty tank but does work.

Clay     2016 DRV MS

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I'll find out soon.  I just ordered one yesterday.  My DRV also has two 40# tanks, one in front of the other.  They are on a sliding tray, so access is fairly easy but I really don't like lifting them unless I absolutely have to.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

OK, thanks for all the help.

For me sounds like it is worth it.

I have a bunch of 20's and to get them in and out to weigh em out of my truck camper takes a step ladder.  Just too much hassle, plus the tanks are wedged in so tight in the propane box I skin my hands or get pinched getting them in.

On 4/13/2017 at 9:11 AM, Yarome said:

So you bought a $30 20lb tank, a $50 extend-a-stay kit + plumbing cost and pack 50lbs of weight around 24/7 in case you miscalculate? ;)

I'm just breaking your hump. :D It's certainly a very valid approach and very well suited for many. In my case, with a 25' trailer both space and weight are premium. The $70 Truma solution is my way of, conveniently, getting the most out of every lb of LP I'm packing, but there are certainly less expensive methods and most definately better ways to spend $70.

Sometimes you pay for convenience.

Ha. The tank was a freebie and the 'extend-a-stay' kit plus pluming I put together for less than 20 bucks . And , the extra weight adds up to about 40 pounds : 37# full propane tank + less than 3 pounds for kit and plumbing . Our Monaco doesn't really care about a little extra weight . It gets that same mileage either way . ;)

Oh , and , I never have to calculate . The 33 gallon spare eliminates that . :D

Goes around , comes around .

I bought a Truma Level Check. It was worthless. It showed tanks as empty no matter the real level in them. I tried it on several different tanks at home and on my Trailer. I was really disappointed. I returned it for a refund, which was a big hassle. I had to call them several times to actually receive the refund.

Archived