How to get the new Windows 10 Creators Update

RV_

On 4/21/2017 at 11:38 AM, Pieere said:

Just Installed the WCU on my old Dell. Turned on Defender! says i have a driver not working properly! Loads my Applications really slow!

The old Dell now seems to be working quite well after several reboots of use!  :)

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

I saw that too. But all mine run great, better in fact. And that is six computers:

Three tablets - an i5 Surface Pro 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM, A Dell Venue 11 Pro with an Atom Z3770 64GB SSD 2GB RAM, and a ASUS T100 Chi with the Atom Z3795, 128GB SSD and 4GB of RAM.

Three desktops - a Dell all in one XPS 2720, with i7, dual storage with a 32GB SSD and a 2TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, A Lenovo all in one i5 8GB Ram a 1TB HD, and a Voyo Mini PC, Atom Z3735, 64GB SSD and 2 GB RAM dual boot with Android 4.1.

All doing fine. ftbmxw9ggnccqxwlcfpb.gif

Beats the nine (2 of them laptops) I used to have to do.

post-1765-0-55399500-1458322019_thumb.jpeg

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 4/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, TheDuke said:

3. To get the the original Control Panel, I had to click Notification, then do a search for Control Panel. That found it. 

It appears that most of the Settings pages have links that take you back to the original Control Panel. For example, Settings/System has a link for System Info which takes you to the System page of the Control Panel.  From there you can go up and get to the main CP screen.  A bit annoying, but there's been a lot added to Settings so you don't need CP nearly as much.  At least that's my take after ~2 days.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Joel,

That's why I pinned Control Panel to my task bar. I use my power setting during Updates so my screens will stay on and then to set them back to balanced after they are done. I don't use any screen savers, haven't for the last ten to 15 years on any LCD screens as they don't burn in like CRT displays do.

Were I to not use it as much I'd still pin it. To find it I just ask Cortana, then click on control panel in her results. I do wish they'd left the manual Windows update on Control panel, instead of forcing the tour through settings. I do like the new options for updates and control the telemetry more so than before.

I know that Power options and other control panel pages can be had with a right click on the start button. In fact if it weren't for the three extra clicks to use it, that menu does have most of my preferred tools, so I'd use it too.

Glad all mine are done and work fine, other than uninstalling and reinstalling a few recalcitrant Apps.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Just upgraded my Gateway computer to the WCU! Three hours at the library on their open WIFI! I use Classic Shell for my start menu and the CP is on the Menu Board , like in W/7! Going to see how it works out, but still leaning toward the Mac!

Pieere,

I use Windows 10. I tried shell and another program to see if they were any better. They just got in the way of learning the new system for me. I just read every Ed Bott article on tips tricks and traps with Windows 10 on ZDNET and learned the system. I also had issues with shell becoming corrupted with some updates back in the Windows 8 days.

There are lots of videos on YouTube too.

If you still have issues get rid of shell, we have a start button that is better IMO than any start button in previous editions of Windows.

Get the Mac and let us know how that works out for you. Posting could save others from making the same mistakes or how to shorten the learning curve and be successful faster. Several folks here have said they were switching, but then never talked about it again. I would guess that since they had trouble understanding their own familiar operating systems, it would follow that they had even more difficulty in learning a completely foreign operating system like OSX or Linux. Like when I tried Apple iPhones a few months back and dropped them within a couple of hours of activating the first of the two and returned them. Free or not they attempted to try to govern how and where I use my own paid for music by forcing users to load iTunes on our Windows systems if we want to be able to load our music on our phones we paid for too. They need to start putting in SD card slots, and leave us Amazon customers to our own devices, literally. They had no Micro SD card ports and were very user unfriendly for other than Apple dictated uses. They assumed I had bought my music from their store and had some control over what limits they wanted to be imposed locally on my iPhone?? I can't believe they have any customers and they lost me in no time. I posted my results and feelings and that wasn't about others and their decisions just mine. Apple's QuickTime video player and Safari for Windows were the worst written, most vulnerable programs any Windows user could have. I refused to allow iTunes on our business systems I was IT for, and I don't work on any mixed systems back in the XP days. 

I detest Android because of Google's invasion of privacy but now that our great legislators have ruled that our ISPs can sell our browsing history, and are trying to let the ISPs decide who gets slowed down like Sling TV so we are forced to buy their cable TV, we may find not only no competition but an attempt to control the way we use the Internet. These transparent invasions are lauded by folks who should know better but don't think for themselves. But Verizon does not have the last newest Lumia phones the 900 and 950 series, they were only made for GSM or AT&T. Apple has no fragmentation and Windows had none when they built and supported phones. But Android is a mess of old systems mixed with new, and usually unsupported for more than two years by each vendor, if at all. 

My advice whether Windows or Linux or Apple, stay with the system as written so you can learn to find new features sand tools that were not in the old systems. Shell did mess up one of my systems and left residue after I removed it and fortunately I was selling it so I factory restored it and all was fine.

Perhaps shell or some other system programs are adversely affecting your operating system. Windows 10 is pretty awesome and runs well on almost any hardware these days with UWP. Look here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/layout/design-and-ui-intro

The worst thing about Macs today is that they are old and getting older. Here are a couple of article, on from ten months ago and the second from Jan 2017.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/its-not-just-macs-almost-everything-apple-sells-is-old-and-stale/

https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/06/2017-beyond-whats-next-for-mac-and-what-of-its-longer-term-future/

If you switch do post your results here too. Have fun, but go in with your eyes wide open.

Safe computing!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Do not like the tiles on my non touch screen computer! I also use Opera browser on the Old MacBook Air! I don't need my computer to operate at the speed of light as i am just a home user. IE 11 keeps needing to be refreshed ever since I started using W/10...locks up!  Tried Linux and the best part was the Gaming, which I don't do much of on my Mac or Windows machines!

It is easy to get rid of the tiles. Here is an article on 'how to.'.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960788/windows/how-to-customize-windows-10s-start-menu.html

I go rid of all the tiles and just added the ones I wanted - Control Panel, Backup, and windows update.

My desktop looks like a traditional Win7 desktop and my frequent apps are pinned to the task bar.

In other words, my Windows looks and works the way I want and not the default Microsoft way.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

Guys, no I am not trolling here.....

This is a Actual NASA Nugget.......they have some computers and software.....

19. Software now has taken on all the parameters of hardware, i.e., requirement creep, high percent-age of flight mission cost, need for quality control, need for validation procedures, etc. It has the added feature that it is hard as hell to determine it is not flawed. Get the basic system working and then add the bells and whistles. Never throw away a version that works even if you have all the confidence in the world the newer version works. It is necessary to have contingency plans for software.

Drive on.........(hard as hell to determine it is not .......flawed......flawed.......flawed)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived