How to get the new Windows 10 Creators Update

RV_

Great article with all the info you need about this next major update to Windows.

Excerpt:

'This major update is available today, but you might still be waiting a while to download it.
"We don't just hit a button, 400 million machines update and we break the internet," says Microsoft spokesman David Dennis.

No, the Windows 10 Creators Update won't be nearly that fast. Microsoft heard you loud and clear when you said you didn't want updates shoved down your throat -- so even as the company promises a long list of improvements to its operating system, it's going to be a slow, measured rollout.

The Windows 10 Creators Update is officially launching today, April 11. But you shouldn't expect to automatically find the free update on your computer on day one. Microsoft says it could take as long as a couple of months before everyone sees it, and even then you'll have the opportunity to snooze it until you're ready.

"We went into this with the guiding principle of 'do no harm,'" says Dennis, adding that Microsoft is working with individual computer hardware manufacturers to make sure the new update won't cause unforeseen issues on their PCs. (One woman successfully sued Microsoft for $10,000 last June.)

But what if you'd rather get the Windows 10 Creators Update as soon as possible, caution be damned? Here are four techniques that might bring you those new features faster."

That article has screen shots to show you what to look for, and how, here:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-creators-update-download-install/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=20640562413884385817807471581031

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Same here, holding off until the COAST IS CLEAR!! LOL! My 1607 version is working fine on all my My computers!

I decided to install the W/Creators Update on a USB Stick!! I don't know if I will upgrade my computers! It takes so much time and I can only do it over public WIFI which is slower than a turtle! Ugh!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

I upgraded 1 of my laptops yesterday with the Creators update.  It went very smoothly with no issues with the download.  However when I went to shut down last night once again the laptop is in the "loop" where it will not shut down, it just reboots and back comes the screen.  I know we talked about this issue back when 10 first came out but cannot seem to find the solution.  If I remember correctly it has something to do with page refresh or recovery?  Also now the control panel window will only stay open for 3-5 seconds then it will close.  I was trying to get to the power settings via the control thinking that is where the reboot issues?  Any thoughts on the reboot issue and what to set to get the laptop to shut down?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Ok the fix for shutdown issue was easy.  It appears with the update the fast start option is checked again and you just have to go into the power options, additional settings and un check it again.

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I have not got the control panel issue worked out yet.  Not sure what is up with that?

Pieere.  You are welcome.  I like to play with stuff knowing that we have RV as backup when I get in over my head which is  often.  I am in a S&B with fiber optic feed to the pole and cooper for 60 feet or so and then CAT 5 to the WIFI router so downloads go pretty fast.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Oops!

Been busy and not checked on for a few days. Glad you solved it again Dennis.

Biker, this link will give you a clearer direct download as well as provide the media creation tool which  should give clean install options as well as the keep your data like the regular updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I am going to do a full clean install this time as my system needs a thorough housecleaning since the Anniversary update. I do have dual drives one a small SSD and that causes issues since the Anniversary. No biggie but it did not have it before and when I reverted.

I am not updated yet as I have another new laptop hybrid tablet that is not performing up to snuff out of the box. I know the processor (SoC) and it should be much faster. I confirmed others With this particular ASUS 128GB SSD/4GB RAM, system had the same issues and got it snappy fast with a disk clean install, and taking it from there. They had no driver issues either.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I did the update on two laptops with no real problems, just a couple of observations.

The new Defender has a couple of new checks - it want to protect your files on the cloud and your access to the Microsoft Apps store. I do not use either, but had to turn on those features to get rid of a 'system may be unprotected' warning.

The new install must have reset the fonts, as one of our favourite fonts disappeared (again). No problem to download and reinstall.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

It appears you can no longer open Defender and run a scan.  I guess it does it in the back ground now?  Any thoughts?

Also I have noticed it takes several double clicks of the mouse wheel to get back to the desk top when the screen has gone into screen saver mode.  For me that is pictures from my picture folder.  It was that you just hit one of the buttons on the or even move it and it would go back from screen saver to desk top?

If you have nothing in the cloud is there any reason to have cloud protection on?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

55 minutes ago, DJW said:

It appears you can no longer open Defender and run a scan.  I guess it does it in the back ground now?  Any thoughts?

Dennis

right click on the defender icon on the taskbar, and 'open' - then click on the Virus & Threat Protect icon and you get the Scan Now option.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

Tried to install the CU on my tablet yesterday! After 6+ hours of downloading get a message that I don't have enough storage space! message states that i need to Delete my old windows. I try and get a message that I don't have authorization! I finally click on an move it to the trash and delete it. Then i go back and now it needs me to download from the beginning. Microsoft is so damned sorry, haven't decided if i will even Upgrade the tablet! GRRR! Apple Is looking so much better now!:P:huh:

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

I keep a pic for those items that have to have a pic. Almost all of my computing is done on my iPad. I can't stand an iPhone but love my iPad.i would upgrade to an apple computer but I still need a pic doe some things. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Pieere,

Sorry, we are putting in full time just settling the estate of our last remaining parent. We are trying to find decent tradesmen for some renovation work that I won't be able to do for quite awhile yet.

What I did was have Cortana open Defender with a voice command, then did the same opening Virus and Threat protection and selecting the scan from there. I pinned it to the Task bar as I do for Task manager to be able to shut down my Browser, currently FireFox version 53, if something appears to be downloading I did not want on my machine, I can two click and shut it down. I keep about 15 apps and programs pinned to the task bar including my TV tuner, Control panel, Snipping tool, Word, Outlook, calculator, Windows media player, Flipboiard, Sling TV, USA Today app, and Cortana reduced to just the small circle icon and no search bar, and Malwarebytes Premium app, and the Kodi App. I like those tools right at hand.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Guys,

OK I did the creators update on my main 27" Dell XPS 2720, Surface Pro 3, ASUS T100-Chi-D, Dell venue 11 Pro, and my wife's Lenovo All In One.

I love it! It actually fixed the issues that the Anniversary update broke on my main All in one 2720.

Pieere, I had the same issue with having it report more memory needed on the Dell Venue 11 Pro. Simple solution? I installed a spare 32GB micro SD card in it. It is a Atom Z-3770, 64GB SSD, 2GB RAM. As soon as I installed the Micro SD card I rebooted and there were no more space issues. No issues on the ASUS 10.1 T100 Chi. It has 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM, as well as full HD, rare on the ASUS T series tablets. That was why I got rid of the ASUS T200 11.6". It had the Atom 3795, 4GB RAM, and a 64GB SSD but was basic HD 1200X800, not full 1920X1080p like the new one. I really like the new additions to the Creator's Update too.

Microsoft is getting it right more and more.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Did the update yesterday. 55 minutes from start of download to extra update released this week. That was on an i5 processor with SSD C drive and 4.9 MB fiber download.

only issue was wake up wanted a password which I guessed at correctly. Only used it for 15 minutes so far.

Upgraded DW's laptop yesterday with no problems.  It does appear that the old control panel function no longer works as it did on both of our laptops now?  Other than that there does not appear to be an issues so far.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I am always wary of articles that claim new Windows version are buggy.  To get articles published you have to a catchy topic and "the new Windows works fine" doesn't make it.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Found a few bugs.

1. Chrome - before, I could click the sound tab to mute, now I have to right click the sound and then click the mute choice.

2. Chrome - lost the sign in on one site. Had to rekey the info to reestablish it. 

3. To get the the original Control Panel, I had to click Notification, then do a search for Control Panel. That found it. 

4. Chrome - Lost some sites that I would get to by just keying a few letters and then select the one I wanted. Again I had to reestablish the site by keying in the entire site.

5. Posted before, return from sleep mode required a password. Found the setting and fixed that.

6. The Touchpad was enabled. Had to go to the mouse info, and then use Advanced to correct it so it doesn't work when the mouse is attached.

Just read that MS suggest to hold off on installing the update.

https://gizmodo.com/microsoft-warns-users-not-to-install-its-latest-windows-1794692878

Archived