Foolish assembly procedures

adept99

After installing a 2nd battery in our XLR Thunderbolt, I then needed to add additional battery cable. One battery is on the driver's side and the the other is on the passenger's side. I looked at the existing wiring and hoses and figured if I followed them, I'd be good.  The hydraulic lines were fed through an 1-1/2 square tube which was being used as a frame stiffener. Several of the factory zip tie attachments on that tube were done with self tapping screws, some with (possibly) pop rivets.  Regardless, I put my self tappers at the same height and within a 1/4" of the existing factory attachments. Broke the heads off of several of them, but got everything mounted, on the outside of the tube. Started cleaning up and noticed the lovely drip-drip-drip of hydraulic oil out of the square tube where the factory hydraulic lines had been run. After much watch winding and butt scratching, I got one of the original hoses out. Plenty of nicks and cuts. All small, but enough to make a continual mess. Obviously I'll run the new hoses in different location / path, but is does give me a large amount of heartburn that they were done this way to start with.

Sorry for the rant, sometimes just get tired of fixing some one else's miserable work ethic

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

So, with multiple "wounds" in the hose. I guess my repair suggestion wasn't applicable?

(Paul and I spoke last evening, and I suggested that if the line only had one damaged spot, to just use a crimp on splice, rather than a whole new line.)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick;

I figured with that many splices the hose would be more like rigid pipe than hose. Besides, in keeping with the Toy Draggin maintenance cost schedule, why spend a dollar when the opportunity exists to spend much, much more.

(Actually wasn't too bad. 2 hoses @ ~ 10' each, with my trusty AITI card from NAPA totaled out to right at $100 bucks.)

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

6 hours ago, adept99 said:

Rick;

I figured with that many splices the hose would be more like rigid pipe than hose. Besides, in keeping with the Toy Draggin maintenance cost schedule, why spend a dollar when the opportunity exists to spend much, much more.

(Actually wasn't too bad. 2 hoses @ ~ 10' each, with my trusty AITI card from NAPA totaled out to right at $100 bucks.)

Sounds like a fair deal.  I have the private cell number of my hose guy.  He's made me hoses on Sunday many times, but it ain't cheap.

Now that you have that job out of the way, celebrate with a bottle of Moose Drool.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

good idea...

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

11 hours ago, spindrift said:

The good news...less scratch than the new tires.  You need to look at the bright side. 

If you want to really have your wallet drained, have that slight roughness in your ISX corrected.......

For those who are wondering what the heck we're talking about, Paul, Tom (spindrift), and I live fairly close to each other, and socialize occasionally.  We often poke at each other.B)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived