what is the best 4 season 5th wheel for the price?

val1957

Having lived in WY for 10 years--1980-90---I can't feature trying to stay there in an RV in winter without a LOT of prep work to include a large propane tank.  Even with good electric service, what happens with a power outage to get heat?  

One of the biggest problems is humidity inside, ice forming on the windows and then melting--somehow, you need to keep this from happening--a dehumidifier?? A 3.5in wall is not much insulation when the temps stay below freezing for a month...

The DRVs have a Canadian Package that includes 2 furnaces that might be needed, or you need to take a look at the Cheap Heat option that runs the furnace off electric resistance heating, and won't raise the humidity near as much.

What ever you decide on, you surely will need both sources of dependable heat--elec and propane--just in case...

Hopefully, you will get some input from RVers who have/are doing what you are thinking to do.

The cheap heat system in a DRV will keep you comfortable down in to the low teens and the fireplace added to that will get you to single digits or 0. For -20 weather, you will need to underpin the trailer and do a lot of additional prep work. As noted above, get a BIG propane bottle, you are going to need it. Run a small electric heater at your water manifold, make sure your tank heaters are on and I would suggest that you hook up your water line only long enough to fill your tank and then drain your hose.

You will lose a LOT of heat from your windows so pay attention to them and, if needed, put a layer of plastic on the inside to cover the windows or keep your night shades pulled down to cover the window.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Val hasn't been back since he posted the original question.

So

Walt, there are a few companies that can handle the weather in winter time Wyoming.  Teton comes to mind as one.  Yes you can prep an RV for extended cold temps, but it is not fun or usually cost efficient.  You can do a Google search for RV North Dakota winter survival tips.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

4 hours ago, jblo said:

The DRVs have a Canadian Package that includes 2 furnaces that might be needed, or you need to take a look at the Cheap Heat option that runs the furnace off electric resistance heating, and won't raise the humidity near as much.

There is no reason that using a propane furnace would raise the interior humidity of an RV at all. A heat exchanger is used within the furnace, with the combustion cycle taking place in a separate airspace. If you look at the "normal" RV propane furnace you'll find that combustion intake air as well as exhaust is handled though the outside panel. 

Catalytic heaters and other types that burn gas inside the living space (Mr. Heater, for instance) will definitely raised interior humidity, but not the standard RV furnace.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I know a few RVers will spend winter time in the north, I've seen snow skiers asking your question too.  Being in an RV at -20 is something I would never ever consider.     Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

As we traveled north in late April we came across several campgrounds in Wyoming where workers had overwintered. What we saw was a lot of underpinning (hay bales, foam board, etc) along with foam inserts in windows and in a couple of cases rigid foam board placed on top of slideouts. They all had large external propane tanks, heated water hoses, etc. 

It can obviously be done, but I'll bet it is hard to stay warm!!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

tetons were built in Casper, WY and there are a bunch of them used as full time residences from there up. The artic pak is heated tanks, extra insulation, and the basement is fully ducted and heated. My rig even has three furnaces. external propane tank, skirt the trailer including the hitch area. 

The Mountain Air's are also a solid rig. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

14 hours ago, Heavymetal said:

Mid 2000's Newmar Mountain Aire. 

When people ask the question "What is a fulltime rig"? I, for the life of me, cannot remember that Newmar built 5th wheels for awhile.  And I have several friends that live in them..... (head slap)...

I'll get it sooner or later....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

4 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

When people ask the question "What is a fulltime rig"? I, for the life of me, cannot remember that Newmar built 5th wheels for awhile.  And I have several friends that live in them..... (head slap)...

I'll get it sooner or later....

I love my Newmar. We have three 38RLPK's 1 2004 and 2 2005's the two 05's we bought from the original owners and they had never really used them. They are heavily insulated, thick hung walls and framed like a battle ship. We had a newer " high end unit" never again. I will keep updating this one. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

21 minutes ago, Heavymetal said:

I love my Newmar. We have three 38RLPK's 1 2004 and 2 2005's the two 05's we bought from the original owners and they had never really used them. They are heavily insulated, thick hung walls and framed like a battle ship. We had a newer " high end unit" never again. I will keep updating this one. 

I'm on the same page with you.  Newmar Kountry Aire being remodeled in our style.  Not the style of some pseudo interior designer at the factory.  Good bones to start with.

Marcel

2 hours ago, rpsinc said:

I'm on the same page with you.  Newmar Kountry Aire being remodeled in our style.  Not the style of some pseudo interior designer at the factory.  Good bones to start with.

Agreed. I just took the RV frig out and put a 22' residential in. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Good insulated RVers arent only useful for where it is cold, they also help with the cooling side too.  If well insulated, then may not have to run AC when temps are marginal, or if needing to run AC, might not need to run alot.  And well insulated is good for noise reduction.  I like to keep private things private.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

Our Heartland Gateway has the 4 season package. We took a winter trip this year through North Carolina and Virgina. Even with the package, we still had frozen pipes in the kitchen during sub 20 degree nights. We think the 4 seasons stand for Spring, Summer, Fall and Not Winter.  

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

• 4 weeks later...

val1957,

Just found your post and will do our best to give you some info on our experiences in big wonderful Wyoming and winter camping here.  

Our first qualifier would be that we only have experiences with Teton RV's.  Our first Teton was a 1990 34' Livingston. We lived in it for two Wyoming winters while building our home in 1998-1999.  In that time frame, we experienced more than a few -30 F mornings and never froze a water line.  The only issues we had were some frost on the inside walls of the bedroom closet because we failed to keep the closet doors open. We also experienced a little frosting in a small section of one of the slide out seals.  This unit had the old crank out window with optional storm windows inside.  

We still own a Teton, 2004 Grand Freedom, and still do winter camping (late season elk hunts and an occasional ice fishing trip). I believe that the newer Tetons are better equipped than our old 1990 for cold weather service.  

The only Teton that I would recommend staying away from for cold weather use would be the rear kitchen models (we had a 1995 Denver Royal) with the fold down rear bumper giving access to the slide out tray with spare tire.  This did not allow adequate underbelly heating to the kitchen plumbing.  We had to use the heat tape any time temperatures dropped below about 5*F.  

Im making these suggestions on the assumption that you will be parked long term and not relocating often.

Water supply to camper - to keep fresh water supply permanently attached to the unit, your outside water faucet (supply) will need to be heat taped to prevent its freezing.  We built a short section of supply hose from the supply to our unit using pex type plastic tubing with water hose fittings connected, heat traced and foam pipe insulation over the heat tape.  

Skirting - on our second winter, we placed hay bales around unit.  I do not advise this as it makes an ideal home for ants and small rodents (mice).  I think that you would be pretty well served with the snap-on vinyl skirting that you can remove and easily use on your next winter outing.  The skirting can also be stored in the basement compartment so you have it with you at all times.  

Propane - As stated previously, you will consume a pretty good bit of propane.  There are several sources (Co-Op, V-1, and others) where you can rent propane tanks.  We used a 250 gallon which served us well.  We did not need refills very often.  We did not use any alternate heat sources other than the unit's forced air furnace.

I do not recall having any condensation issues but excessive cooking and long hot showers could possibly cause an issue.  Later model Tetons have attic ventilation.  For additional insulation, you could place some of the thin quilted foil insulation inside on windows that you're not really using for view.  Also, as heat rises, there are little insulated foam blocks that you can place inside your Fantastic fan housing (inside the unit) which will stop that heat loss.  

Sewer Line - I cannot recall exactly how (as I have slept too many nights since then) we handled the sewer drain setup.  The sewer drain hose was permanently set up and I THINK that we kept the sewer drains closed, monitored the tanks and drained them when needed.  There may be better options.  

We hope this helps with your concerns no matter what RV you decide to go with.  

Todd & Marianne

Todd & Marianne

Sundai, Nellie and Maggie May - miniature schnauzers

2004 Teton 39' Grand Freedom / 2007 Bigfoot MH26Sl

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW, 4x4,  6.7 manual trans

Archived