Jack's new truck

jaird

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct...it it the fuel tank. The battery-based APU is the root cause. And I'm not getting rid of that, although there was thought given to putting in a mini-split system and selling the apu. But in the end, we kept the apu. We shot completed video yesterday.....stay tuned. The bed came out about how I wanted. It pulled together nicely. I'd tweek a few minor things, but this second gen bed worked out well.  Lots of innovations in it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Here is a link to a photo album with an overview of the bed.  LINK

Any questions, feel free to ask.

PFNldqTQE3cI_UuP3OHWCDPo6d2A4m6KFhQnMkh94-594wex5AJUuzFsO_k8V0jKDDgXPf97MH6DmxqGF4tTKRavUNoFuOcAJHpe2ZPh3bkMrnnwwe6jQ58z6gA0Z9fZkzsvK9NIxhCOomMqXV9BtmkeFtIWfrUn0qZlwU9E8Tr2eVH-GQP55IKEBAX6_yW8ObGHJwmZj-7JFU9aDRgH0igoJUrTgLQj6-MhRQKfRrmpcL-uVyV1Eoy5zh_lOPNuklbuXY-doll--rVrshilJZ9B90I_ggBAktxXj5K7LhZ_OFa_bIlngFvAo7CW2VG1JHC24aHCYpu2LE-cf_NTdY0JWhWTzx_h0Cfka-kD_RgKO_gcrGi0j2RBqWb2Tl5sMbwhyqN_5hn87vHnysMhWoA7CrhZB602jlqDWDE3X_-O8jQQyPLBIBBR030YzanVt8GayJM7lN5ZOQ2y5DKKOXAAW-feDU5YmoUSdEAR89rjHpreceGlMrjXyL7yKBpJ1_wa6YMilZOSR5mwc3lH2jcjdJa7HFy0CvnnBrx0WWFyoZqra1F1qIgs7G5cujiSFId_kvgK5r8WraRZxU2fenhPS7MS1gFOl4TpVidzoalBPR0fM2txB6OPKUkNl9uIXAG2vgtbkL3hNrXhqBlzKFJUxvzpk5CMh_N37oIXLOk=w1259-h708-no

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Just now, Sculptor said:

You made 2 of these, correct?   ;)

Beautiful job Mr Mayer!!

This is the first one. We will build a minor variant of this for anyone that wants one.  On the "two", you may be thinking about drom boxes - those we're building two more of at the moment. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

1 minute ago, Jack Mayer said:

This is the first one. We will build a minor variant of this for anyone that wants one.  On the "two", you may be thinking about drom boxes - those we're building two more of at the moment. 

I meant 1 for ME.   Would help some if I owned a truck to put my new box on though.   :D

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Once you go "full production" we should see the price drop down to $1200 for one of these, right?

:lol:

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Not a fan of the latches mounted on top of the rear latches, water tends to accumulate, and overwhelm the shaft seal. Same with the tie-down rings. Unless these are meant to be used as wet storage. What's the intent of the expanded metal lath inside the rear storage bays? What goes into the reinforced holes in the doors?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Just now, Darryl&Rita said:

Not a fan of the latches mounted on top of the rear latches, water tends to accumulate, and overwhelm the shaft seal. Same with the tie-down rings. Unless these are meant to be used as wet storage. What's the intent of the expanded metal lath inside the rear storage bays? What goes into the reinforced holes in the doors?

Correct, it is wet storage on this bed.  In future beds we may tighten up the water seal, but it is hard to fight water coming in around top seals. So it will always be best as wet storage. We intended to hold off on this specific compartment on this build, but did it because it eased some of the welding access. Plus got us the compartments we wanted. So it was a mid-stream change. In the future it will be all solid metal bottom - no expanded metal. Latch will still be on top since it is wet storage, but there's enough room to put it on the face of the rear. The other wet storage is under the hitch. That really comes in handy for a bunch of stuff.  The tiedown rings will not be in the lid in the future. 

The holes hold the grab bars for the steps. I should post a picture of them. The steps actually work quite well, and really don't take away any storage in this design. 

This bed is pretty embellished with features. It is a demonstration of "possibilities". But simpler versions can be done.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Honestly, the expanded metal is perfect for these 3 locations. I had a service body with a couple damp boxes that used it for the floor. Never had to worry about moisture accumulating, and causing rust or mold. The only negative is once it starts to get beaten out from carrying too much weight, the floor becomes wavy in a hurry.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

8 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Honestly, the expanded metal is perfect for these 3 locations. I had a service body with a couple damp boxes that used it for the floor. Never had to worry about moisture accumulating, and causing rust or mold. The only negative is once it starts to get beaten out from carrying too much weight, the floor becomes wavy in a hurry.

No chance of too much weight in there. The floor was powder coated; base primer and two top coats. It should hold up...it is pretty scratch resistant. Having driven through some rain already, the box stayed pretty dry. I was surprised how well it resisted water. Of course, it will always have some in it and has plenty of drainage. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

Great looking truck

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Sorry, saw the pics after I posted on the Viair. 

Are the led lights on the steps marker and stop lights? If so, where can I get them? Come in Amber? Need a mid turn signal on the long bed.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Yes it is a Viair compressor. It is plumbed into the wet tank. I also have output/input to the tanks from the quick connect air chuck you see in one of the pictures. The "intent" is to:

1) allow the Viair to keep the suspension up on an overnight boondock stop. That would allow you to drop your trailer legs for stability if you wanted, without the risk of hanging the truck from the trailer. I'll admit this is not something you would do with the Viair if it was the only use for it (or not something I'd do)

2) The Viair can supply air via the tanks without running the truck. Essentially using the truck tanks for storage.

3) You can fill the tanks with shop air - there is an "input" quick connect

4) you can use the tanks for output air via a separate quick connect. 

The lights in the steps are LED marker lights. Single function, mini-lights (3/4"). These are red, but they come in clear/red, clear/amber, red, amber. Available at 4 States and lots of other places. I know of no 3/4" multi-function lights. If anyone has seen those please let me know.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Very nice.  I'm looking forward to seeing your ideas on a "short bed" version for those of us who don't want to haul a Smart.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

10 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Yes it is a Viair compressor. It is plumbed into the wet tank. I also have output/input to the tanks from the quick connect air chuck you see in one of the pictures. The "intent" is to:

1) allow the Viair to keep the suspension up on an overnight boondock stop. That would allow you to drop your trailer legs for stability if you wanted, without the risk of hanging the truck from the trailer. I'll admit this is not something you would do with the Viair if it was the only use for it (or not something I'd do)

2) The Viair can supply air via the tanks without running the truck. Essentially using the truck tanks for storage.

3) You can fill the tanks with shop air - there is an "input" quick connect

4) you can use the tanks for output air via a separate quick connect. 

The lights in the steps are LED marker lights. Single function, mini-lights (3/4"). These are red, but they come in clear/red, clear/amber, red, amber. Available at 4 States and lots of other places. I know of no 3/4" multi-function lights. If anyone has seen those please let me know.

Jack -Truck Lite 33203R    Red dual function with black grommet. They have some other flange options. last I knew a yellow dual function was not available. My internet connection is too slow to check right now. 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

6 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Very nice.  I'm looking forward to seeing your ideas on a "short bed" version for those of us who don't want to haul a Smart.

I have a LOT of ideas on that, Chad, since I've owned such a truck. Ours was a daily driver 610 with a 182" wheelbase. We used it for three years as our only vehicle while fulltiming.  I'd LOVE to build a modern version of that truck.

Actually, just shortening up my existing bed would make for a pretty cool look. I don't know if the steps being ALL bedlined would be as appropriate on the shorter version. Maybe just the treads of the steps. But the rest should "translate over" intact. 

Here is my 610. It was a great truck. I owned it for 10 years, and put VERY little money into repairs. 

2FhWLs4j-wl-fbYLarBPkPeJw_g--n7tvz1Rm1_x91lSwBNel-luVU0fJ94NFVzxPR_LFd2p3XsXAaeY8QTBVuOBMXa0VBNEtrBs8xg_4JNlX5fH-oD45p-dP1AM8xLBfb2zQZ34-FRcT-KiQqLvMpXqMxnoWCRHa7jSNc0uMA6CaJhCLMntG5gK6Cdi2MnU_odn0cevaDB9N0nI4yt92x7xW_3gMAPdeMjtMwl-hn75ctYJv2EpJOL0E4eDrq9pOtnWwo4_ILcMQDKLo_qVv2gG94ulbk0idxjlg1M-_lYGkA_o1VBrMdhubuTBXs32aNB1g2bNFFr353932CgPcAXTJiUwdOPvVsKvBFSeazr72n_Ya6iOaPEX3afGuae5oxxJmWNXoDGkv-985OQtB9rGsBtgHx3l7KGZybQeACzXwuBUdAcbTEVYL1dQsMGE7aav_AmqFXxLSRMEMWqz1SaUrhIneCjnPXyVVNRZIQVEiigC88w2fBcFllq1PohJQWkxYQRMmKfkKVpPhb86BnWAp5zNPSgTtadAifs0jU1OPWgKkF5dA4khE90n_rbsbtdfPhiPGPHx6zMpe8yjKAF-5C8MLLceUFiZo-ykzY3vpVsVXqPquQ=w1227-h919-no

www.jackdanmayer.com

For sure I would include a drom. And you could still carry a motorcycle.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived