Traveling to Yellowstone from east

Nortie76

In June we will be traveling to Yellowstone for the first time!  We are in a F-350 pulling a 38 foot fifth-wheel and I would like information about the roads to the park from the east and also whether we will be able to drive through the park and continue on southward through Jackson and beyond.  I'm sure there are many experienced folks out there that can help me plan our journey.  We will be coming from Custer, SD and plan to stop near Sheridan for a night or two before heading towards the park. Is US 20 a good route for our travels and any recommended campgrounds near West Yellowstone?  Thanks for all your help!

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

US-20 is a good road, but it does not go through Sheridan. US-20/16/14 takes you to the East entrance of Yellowstone. Large RVs drive all the main roads through the park. In my opinion, the most challenging section of the major roads is over Dunraven Pass between Tower Junction and Canyon Village. This section can be easily avoided when towing the RV.

From Sheridan, you will be closest to US-14. I recommend that you avoid Alternate 14 when towing. You could also head East on I-90 and take US-16 to the East Entrance. You could also take I-90 West to US-89 and enter the park through the North entrance or take I-90 West to US191 which will take you to West Yellowstone without driving through the park. If you do not have one, you may want to consider getting the Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers to help you evaluate potential routes.

There are a number of commercial RV parks in and around West Yellowstone. There are also Forest Service campgrounds with some electric sites. Staying in the park eliminates the traffic jams at the gate in the morning.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees forum!!!

Hwy 20 coming into Yellowstone from Cody is good as is leaving Yellowstone straight south into Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

Here is a good description of all roads leading into Yellowstone:

http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php

Check RVParkReviews.com for West Yellowstone camping.  Have a good trip!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

While Hwy 14 is a gorgeous highway going over the Bighorn Mtns it's always made me cringe to watch semis and large 5Ws going over it, especially on the the east and west sides on the switchbacks when coming up from or going down to the plains/basin. It's doable but a little hairy, especially without runaway truck ramps and only an occasional pullout. Hwy 16 out of Buffalo is a better option (wider and less switchbacks) and only a half hour south of Sheridan and just as pretty of a drive. 

Once you get to Ten Sleep on the other side of the Bighorns it is an easy drive to Worland and then north on Hwy 20 to meet up with Hwy 14 and straight to Cody.

I've stayed at the Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV park, west of Cody in Wapiti a couple of times and the staff and owner couldn't be nicer...highly recommended place to stay: http://www.yellowstonevalleyinn.com. There is also a Nat Rec area campground on the reservoir just west of Cody also which is cheaper but not full hookups. 

I live in Sheridan so happy to answer any questions you may have about the area.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

As one that did it with a MDT and a 38' fifth wheel, I would advise staying off of Hwy 14 or Alt. 14. As the gentleman above stated, it can get hairy in several places. I have traveled many mountain roads in my 47 years of RV'ing, but I will not do either of these again. Not due to my driving, but the oversize trucks and trailers and some Rv'ers that always want the middle of the road in the worst places. 

Jerry

SKP 27953
Country Coach Motorhome with 400HP Kitty Cat
"Running the roads seeing God's Great Creation"

We are also taking our first trip to Yellowstone (Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone ) from the east this summer. It will also be our first out west. We will be driving a gasser pulling a toad. I am a little worried about mountain driving. Do all routes include going over mountains? Is there a relatively flatter route, even if it is longer?

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

17 hours ago, aunut said:

We are also taking our first trip to Yellowstone (Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone ) from the east this summer. It will also be our first out west. We will be driving a gasser pulling a toad. I am a little worried about mountain driving. Do all routes include going over mountains? Is there a relatively flatter route, even if it is longer?

I-80 is windy and goes through southern Wyoming...wouldn't recommend it. It's not very pretty.

You can go around the Bighorns to the south via Casper on 20/26 and then either north to Cody or west to Dubois. Or you can take I-90 to the north and go via Billings and Laurel and then down to Lovell and Cody. Neither route sees the mountains except out the window. Obviously you can't avoid the mountains completely since once you get to either Cody or Dubois you have to go up.

Hwy 16, the most direct route, really isn't bad at all for RVs and towables.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

19 hours ago, aunut said:

...first trip to Yellowstone (Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone ) from the east this summer....Do all routes include going over mountains? Is there a relatively flatter route, even if it is longer?...

If my memory is correct, I-90 to US191 South at Belgrade/Bozman is the flattest route and will take you to West Yellowstone without driving through the park.

You could also take I-90 West to US-89 at Livingston and enter the park through the North entrance. There is a short steep climb from the North Entrance to Mammoth and you will cross the continental divide inside the park on the way to West Yellowstone.

If you do not have one, you may want to consider getting the Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers to help you evaluate potential routes.

I haven't spent alot of time in the area, but our route from East to West went from Shoshoni to Lander to South Pass City (cool ghost town to visit (with working general store/post office), we unhitched the trailer at the road and drove the dirt road with the TV ), then north into Boulder and into the Tetons/Jackson, and then into Yellowstone from the south.  Nothing stands out to me as bad about the route, and I loved seeing and driving thru the Wind River Range and the Tetons before going into Yellowstone.  We left out the east to Cody on 14 and again nothing stood out as markedly terrible.  But my threshold may be high, since what I do remember is leaving Cody and going up Dead Indian Hill Rd. to Beartooth Pass Highway (212) to get to Red Lodge.  Most memorable part of the trip due to the stunning beauty, but definitely not a good route for a large rig.  I would definitely do it again, but next time on a motorcycle.  :-)

I would NOT recommend Beartooth Pass to anyone with an RV or trailer. Of course it can be done, but the road is steep and narrow and the drop-off very sharp. It is worth doing in a truck or toad but even with many years of trailer-hauling experience behind me I would not want to do it on that road. I don't mind roads like that generally but even I was a little nervous in just my truck.

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Archived