Alaska question

jhayes

Has anyone traveled Highways 77/1 between Fort Laird and the junction of Highway 3 in the Northwest Territories? It is a gravel road for about 350-400 miles and I  was wondering about the condition of it. I thought we would take some different routes up to Alaska rather than stay on the Alaskan Hwy. all the way this time. Northwest Territories is one of 2 or3 provinces we have not been through in Canada.

Jerry

SKP 27953
Country Coach Motorhome with 400HP Kitty Cat
"Running the roads seeing God's Great Creation"

3-4 years ago I followed the travels of two couples who went to Yellowknife and then west & south to Fort Laird.  Their description of the scenery was pretty bleak.  Mostly level, no mountains to view.  Typical low trees lining the highway.  As far as the road condition, it was a decent gravel road, but it was gravel, so keep that in mind.  They said it was really long and boring.

If you want to go to the NW Territory I recommend the Dempster Hwy. 

In 2016, we drove our 29' Class A up the Dempster Hwy to Tombstone Territorial Park, about 43 miles of gravel road. The last 20 miles of the road rattled the RV pretty good.  No deep pot holes and really rough areas, just small pot holes to rattle the RV.  We took the toad another 40 miles north of the campground and the road was much better than the 20 miles coming into the park.  

The scenery in and around the park was great.  Excellent hiking as well. 

Have you taken the Cassiar Hwy to Alaska?  That is a very nice scenic route.  Thoroughly enjoyed our trip back on the Cassiar. 

Link to our blog entry for Tombstone Park.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the info. Yes, we have done the Cassier a couple of times. Always a delight with lots of wildlife and great scenery. We have also considered the Dempster and may do it instead of the Yellowknife area.

Jerry

SKP 27953
Country Coach Motorhome with 400HP Kitty Cat
"Running the roads seeing God's Great Creation"

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't taken the trip up to Alaska yet, but if you plan to go in a truck of some sort (and perhaps you can do a similar mod on any vehicle), consider installing adjustable shocks.  After I installed some adjustable damping shocks in my Silverado 2500HD, I am able to drive washboard and gravel roads much smoother than I had previously on the stock shocks, night and day difference.  I didn't touch the springs at all, just replaced the shocks.  I am able to change the damping of the shock via a dial on the shock body, and at full soft (which does feel like a bit of a pogo stick during normal driving), I'm able to now drive over dirt roads without rattling my teeth out.  Playing with the damping on the same road, you can tell a MAJOR difference between full soft and full hard (which I use when towing).  I chose Rancho 9000XL's, and price wise they were about the same as other name brand shocks.  They are still a little under damped when towing, but I'm so so glad to have them when I take just the truck off road.....

Archived