Kiltedpig

replacing RV blinds

13 posts in this topic

The day/night shades are getting to the point they need replacing.  The DW, is happy since she hates them so we are wondering what others have used as replacements.

My DW is on your DW's side. We bought mini-blinds. Just go to HD or Lowes and they cut to width. Problem is(at least when we bought them years ago) they are too long so you need to spend some time shortening them. Not a big deal for a happy DW.

We like our MCD shades in our new trailer much better than our old day night shades in our last trailer.  I would never go back to the old style.

We liked MCD shades as well. But in my last conversion van I just put up sheer curtains for daytime privacy with Reflectix inserts for night time light blocking and insulating. I would not have tried to do Reflectix inserts in our former Class A, though.

Linda Sand

Check out https://www.stevesblindsandwallpaper.com.  found them to be about the best price overall.  Use them to buy blinds for our rentals, fast service and good quality for the price.  We bought cellular shades with foil inside for the RV.  What as difference in the HEAT.  More privacy than day/nights too.

I rue the day in 2012 when I removed all our original 7 string shades and installed MCD manual day/night shades. At the time just one of my 7 original string shades wasn't working. So this means my original string shades had lasted 11 years.

On the other hand, of the 7 MCD shades I installed, one shade has to be held down with a clamp, one won't go up at all, and another has to be prodded to open. I have adjusted the MCDs per MCD instructions, but to no avail. The MCDs just keep failing.

Here's a thread on IRV2 of folks having problems with MCD power shades.

Our 16 year old day/night string shades are still working fine with just minor repairs. Today I had to repair a tension spool when a section broke off releasing the string. I just untied the double string, reversed the spool, and put it back together. Took about 10 minutes including getting the square driver out of the tool box. That's the third spool that's broken recently, likely from the plastic getting brittle, so I'm ordering a package of dozen for $11.45 on Amazon. The restring kit I bought several years ago "just in case" is still sealed. We like our string shades...

Be aware that cell blinds collect bugs in the cells...Better tell DW this before you go ahead..................

Love my MCD dual roller blinds and have not had any problems with them.  But I got the manual pull, not the power ones.  My belief in nearly all cases is the less power the better because less to go wrong. 

I especially like the black mesh daytime blinds where I can see out, but no one can see in. 

x2 on the manual pull. The day I can't pull down a shade is the day I give up RVing. 

We currently have MCD shades in our MH and they are nice, have had no problems with them in 2 years. The price of MCDs would make it a big decision to go that way for  us.

MCDs in our 5th wheel. Big improvement over the string blinds.

Mike