Tire treads u zipping

Ronbo

I put this in HDT because that is what I tow with and I always monitor here. I had two tires come unzipped today. They did not loose air. This is after having another one do it less than 2000 miles ago. All tires were replaced last year. They are Goodyear g114. I inflate to 125 psi. They are not overloaded as I have had weights checked. I get them at Discount Tire so I only have to pay $90 for road hazard warranty. They way it is going I will never have to pay full price but Discount a Tire needs to start installing full hookups for me. I have a morryde independent suspension installed. I run 60 mph. They are not wearing funny. this had happened 6 or 7 times and my TPMS does not alarm because they don't loose air. They are not old tires, I check the dates when they are installed. Any ideas? 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

125 psi sounds like a lot.  Could it be an over inflation problem? Those Goodyears are usually good tires.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

125 psi is the max rated pressure for that tire. And yes, we had good luck with them.  Too bad the wheels wouldn't work when we updated our trailer.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I agree. That sounds like a lot of pressure. I only run 95 pounds in my G114's.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I had my weights done by Trey. I a, below max. Also had them done again at morryde. If the axles were out of alogianment I would have abnormal tire wear. 125 psi is correct for my weights. The rims are rated for this. It is not position dependent. Weights are 4300, 4200, 4450 and 4750. The only one close is the 4750 but I have removed some weight since having it weighed.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

By "unzipping" and since they didn't loose air I assume we are talking about belt/tread separation and not sidewall blowouts.

Tread/belt separations are usually caused by long term heat + age with heat coming from high load (for the inflation) and high speed.  GY/Discount should be adjusting the tires especially since you have the weigh slip records.

This type of failure can not be detected by TPMS but sometimes can be seen before the tire comes apart if irregular tread wear and out of round are observed.

HERE is video of a tire that was in process of failing.

Here is my blog post on what was discovered on my examination of the subject tire.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

53 minutes ago, Tireman9 said:

By "unzipping" and since they didn't loose air I assume we are talking about belt/tread separation and not sidewall blowouts.

Tread/belt separations are usually caused by long term heat + age with heat coming from high load (for the inflation) and high speed.  GY/Discount should be adjusting the tires especially since you have the weigh slip records.

This type of failure can not be detected by TPMS but sometimes can be seen before the tire comes apart if irregular tread wear and out of round are observed.

HERE is video of a tire that was in process of failing.

Here is my blog post on what was discovered on my examination of the subject tire.

I don't understand that the TPMS can not detect the tire temperature. If you are saying that long term heat +age with heat coming from high load can help cause the problem. What tire temperature are you talking about ? I thought that most TPMS were set at 158*F. Can you please explain more about temperature.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

13 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

I don't understand that the TPMS can not detect the tire temperature. If you are saying that long term heat +age with heat coming from high load can help cause the problem. What tire temperature are you talking about ? I thought that most TPMS were set at 158*F. Can you please explain more about temperature.

Al

Here is a post on tire covers but in it I cover the effect of temperature on rubber "age" which is really the properties of rubber.

Short answer is that with increased temperature rubber ages or looses its strength at an ever increasing rate.

This post on why tires fail also covers the rapid aging of hot tires.

TPMS temperature is just the current temperature and is not set up to predict long term tire life. But cooler is always better than hotter.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

Archived