Old topic HDT Insurance

Bob Cochran

I know have not been on for awhile and maybe this has been covered adequately already but in case not here is my experience which may help some.

Ok I had insurance with Blue Sky which the underwriter was RSI Insurance I believe. Like so many others I got the non-renewal notice and my insurance ended today. I got to admit I waited before looking for more insurance cause not looking forward to it at all!!! 

I started first working with Blue Sky and their best bet was Nationwide here in Arizona. Did not work out as Nationwide will not insure any RV over 35 feet, 5er's, tag along or motor-homes. Which mine is over 35!!! Other problem not new to use was my HDT I kept tandem rear axles. As per usual was worried I would use commercial despite what I said. lets see if I did would be committing insurance fraud, beside breaking a few Federal and State laws.  Only thing they like was I can declare the weight here and it is under 26,001 lbs. Does not help, now Blue Sky(Rich) went to work on them pointing all this out and how much safer it is with tandem axles with all the reasons. They did not listen!!! Now Rich and Blue Sky suggested I try Thum Insurance as they had different underwriters who might be able to insure me.

I contacted Thum Insurance last Monday and explained what I wanted to insure.   I read their home page which I thought was impressive and thinking they could do it. I talked to Sue there and filled out application over the phone. She had no problem with my 37'7" and I know you guys have longer 5ers. The same with tandem rear axles!!!! She said they used to have same problem covering the tandem axle but had a company agree to insure if it was insurance on the combination truck and 5er or trailer; no problem was going to do as a unit anyway. The underwriter was National General Insurance yes The General who would have believed. I don't know if you can go direct to them or they only have agreement with Thum Insurance and as we all know one insurance company will insure in one state and not another. 

Even better for me the coverage is comparable to the other except they will not provide replacement coverage. Basically they will only give you the current value if a total loss. As we all know like mine has dropped about half in 3 years!!! The other best BEST thing is the dreaded premium. The premium is less than half what I was paying RSI Insurance and about have of what Nationwide was quoting before finally saying NO. Oh buy the way i declared the value of my truck which was well with in reason for a 1998 Freightliner. 

My suggestion if you are looking; this is a possible for you. Check their internet page Thum Insurance a family owned business and give them a call. certainly cannot hurt and you maybe glad you did like I was, nothing ventured nothing gained. My experience is they was fast, friendly and knowledgeable best experience I have had dealing with insurance people . 

How will The General fair if you file a claim I have no clue guess will find out if the unfortunate happens. Finally I started the process Monday  April 3 and today April 6 have insurance on my combination.

Good luck and hope this helps some 

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a letter today from State Farm saying they won't insure my Peterbilt 379.  Good thing it's Friday and cocktail hour!!!

2000 Freightliner Century Class w/ sportsbed, 10 sp autoshift, Cummins N-14 475 hp, 3:73 rear and Trailersaver Hitch

2016 Voltage 3805 Toy hauler

1987 Chenowth Baja racer, 1835 CC VW

Miller can do National General as well. Are they really the same company as the one on TV with the cartoon General driving a cartoon Corvette with Shaq in the passenger seat?

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Good deal on Miller they was my second go to if these guys failed. Yep the same as on TV. Not sure if that is good or bad!?

Edit not the same companies I should know better before checking it out and believing somebody else. National General used be GMAC though that I checked, 

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

We had the same dilemma with Blue Sky (RLI).  We are in a similar boat as far as equipment, as well.  Our Toy Hauler is 42' and the truck is tandem.

For quotes, we talked with Thum, Miller, C&C Insurance Marketing and all three quoted through National General.  While all three were similar in quotes, there were subtle differences in the coverages.

Luckily I have an insurance expert on retainer (DW).  She scoured the quotes and fed a lot of questions, which helped in determining which was best, for us.

In the end, we went with Chris Yust, with C&C.  Ironically they were not the cheapest, though as mentioned above, the three were within a couple hundred dollars of each other.

We bound the new coverage yesterday afternoon and I have to say that the customer service that Chris provided is impeccable, we handled the binding process while she was on the road, living the life..

For us, the new policy actually came in at a lower rate than Blue Sky, though by the time we add Good Sam or Coachnet towing, it will be a wash.

The funny thing with insurance is that it is rarely a one size fits all, so you need to shop around and find what fits you best.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Awesome wish I had one of those experts. Added to your thoughts the state you reside in affects the insurance not just premiums but coverage and some of details as well. Glad you got coverage as initially it totally takes you off guard.

• 4 weeks later...

Last year my insurance raised several hundreds of dollars. I planned to check out some other insurances, but didn't. This year my quote is several thousands of dollars more. I HAVE to check for a better rate now. Have been with National Interstate since first getting my HDT. Sure my rates have changed with the new trailer and such but this is getting outrages 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I called FCIS? In Iowa today.  They would cover my HDT but it must be bundled together with the trailer or fiver.  I have not purchased either one yet so now is not the time.  They would also insure me as a North Carolina resident.  Miller in Oregon would not.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

My HDT (registered as a motorhome) cost about $375 for six months with Auto Owners, here in Wisconsin.

It is bundled with our camper, DW's car and my LGT.  I also get my homeowner's insurance through this company.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

On 5/18/2017 at 7:51 AM, lappir said:

Last year my insurance raised several hundreds of dollars. I planned to check out some other insurances, but didn't. This year my quote is several thousands of dollars more. I HAVE to check for a better rate now. Have been with National Interstate since first getting my HDT. Sure my rates have changed with the new trailer and such but this is getting outrages 

Rod

I have seen posts before of raising premiums but is fir all vehicles not just HDT's. I have insurance for HDT and toy hauler  and different instance for Jeep and Smart car and the premiums have gone up for the Jeep and Smart through Allstate and not sure exactly but was couple hundred a year not thousands though.

Surprise got premium after this post and it was $1,000's like double!!! 

3 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I called FCIS? In Iowa today.  They would cover my HDT but it must be bundled together with the trailer or fiver.  I have not purchased either one yet so now is not the time.  They would also insure me as a North Carolina resident.  Miller in Oregon would not.

Not unusual for them to want to bundle before covering an HDT. It seems the norm. I am not sure of the reason but not unusual for an insurance company to be able to insure and HDT in one state but not another. This happens a lot actually.

1 hour ago, Av8r3400 said:

My HDT (registered as a motorhome) cost about $375 for six months with Auto Owners, here in Wisconsin.

It is bundled with our camper, DW's car and my LGT.  I also get my homeowner's insurance through this company.

My premiums are around the same as yours. Don't have the paperwork handy but close. 

Yes, Mine was covered with homeowners as an add on. Moving to fulltime is pretty expensive. More like $325 a month for the HDT and 5th wheel. Is that normal? 

Thanks,

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

To be honest here with you in my opinion that is the type of premiums I would expect if was getting commercial insurance for the HDT. is that the total premium for everything including your home? Even then seems pretty high compared to mine and what others have seen so far. If was me would take your time since you already have it insured and check some other sources for insurance we have talked about in this thread.

Good luck in your search if you decide to.

Update on my insurance search if anyone needs the info.  FCIS in Iowa was happy to bundle the camper we have currently, with the prospective HDT we are going to look at soon.  I gave them the details and during the same phone call I got a quote back.  Just a few dollars over $1000 annually via Nationwide.

On 5/18/2017 at 7:40 PM, Sculptor said:

I called FCIS? In Iowa today.  They would cover my HDT but it must be bundled together with the trailer or fiver.  I have not purchased either one yet so now is not the time.  

We had been trying to sell our camper but since we can insure both and we already own one camper it seems to make more sense to keep it for awhile yet.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

i am trying to get insurance right now. I was told that National Interstate is no longer insuring RV's nor HDT's.

National General apparently only insures the truck with the trailer and you are not allowed to drive the truck by itself, except for fuel run or to a service place... but i am waiting on confirmation. Also due to the age of my Truck, only Liability..

So, considering the information i have, apparently National General is the ONLY company left to insure with? btw , i am working with Miller on that.

My quote was thru FCIS and they used both Nationwide and National General to quote.  I asked about driving the truck separately and it's not a problem.  My understanding is, the 2 units are bundled together in one but that does not mean they are inseparable.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

We are with FCI with Nationwide and they requested both truck & trailer and also nothing about not driving the truck alone.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I just got off off the phone from getting a quote. First a couple of our questions answered.

National General is not the same as "the General" insurance with the cartoon General.

There are only two companies that will insure us with big trucks. Nat Gen and one other. Nat Gen is associated with Good Sam. 

Tandem policy's are the ones that say you cannot bobtail. You can bobtail to your hearts content with a single screw.

For a 2018 VNR and a 2018 47' NH, I was quoted $2900.00 per year. That is at my current address in WA which should go down once I have owned them for a while and find a cheaper state. Midwest are cheaper and TX OK CA NV and others are more expensive. Not sure why NV is more expensive as they don't have a lot of bad weather or natural disasters???

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Update to my Prior statement: I was re-assured there are no restrictions with National General , but they will only do liability and no roadside assistance, due to the age of my Truck (1986) 

i am waiting on information now from FCI. they say, they might be able to get me on with progressive. In either case, i need to get it insured tomorrow, so i can title and tag the truck friday, drive it home saturday :-)

Archived