Best location for jack

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I need to do some maintenance on the wheel bearing of the trailer. Where would be the best location for the jack ? What size jack would you use ? The trailer has two axles.

Thank you for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

What I do is jack up one wheel at a time. Put the jack pad under the spring of the wheel you want to pull. If you have 6k axles then I would use a two ton or heavier jack. If you want to pull all of the wheels at the same time then you would need a jack heavy enough to lift one side at a time and then have large enough jack stands to hold the trailer.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Unless you've taken the hubs off this trailer before, I think you should remove no more than one side at a time.  If you get into trouble on one wheel, it is a lot of "avoidable" work putting things back together.

The drawback is you may have to go to the parts store a few times as you find parts that need replaced..

Hi Everyone,

The trailer does have Mor-Ryde suspension. If I find that one set of brake pads need replaced, I will replace all of them. I plan to pull one wheel off at a time so I am safe working on the trailer.

Thanks for the insight,
Al

If you are jacking up one wheel and using the spring pad, which is what I do, then place a 2X4 block of wood between the top of the axle and the camper frame near the tire. This will keep the tire from raising up into the wheel well which can make it hard to get the tire off.

Greg

5 minutes ago, gjhunter01 said:

If you are jacking up one wheel and using the spring pad, which is what I do, then place a 2X4 block of wood between the top of the axle and the camper frame near the tire. This will keep the tire from raising up into the wheel well which can make it hard to get the tire off.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the tip.    Al

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Per MorRyde IS Service Manual - page 4 (Found on Product Documents page)

PROCEDURES FOR JACKING UP UNIT
It is permissible to jack up a unit equipped with a MORryde Independent Rubber Suspension System only on the Beam Assembly under the Rubber Springs (see page 3 for diagram) or the frame of the trailer. The most efficient location to raise a trailer is at the frame. Jacks and safety stands should be positioned towards the front and rear portion of the trailer frame. To perform suspension work tires should be approximately 4” above the ground.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Archived