DirecLink Fault

bluflame11

Hi Friends! Looking for some more advice!

Just installing my DirecLink in 2007 Volvo and upon powering up, it gives me the "Vehicle Search" screen then goes to "Controller OBD vLow"...it then keeps alternating between these two messages. It does not seem to interface with the truck at all. When looking in the manual, it says when the "Controller OBD vLow", it means the connection is loose to the OBD port or it is disconnected all together...Well, I have tried reconnecting this about a dozen times with no change...and of course it was 1/2 hour after the manufacturer closed for the day...

I wanted to see if the great minds here have any good ideas about this?

Thanks in advance!

That's what mine did the first time I hooked it up. Starting the truck corrected it. 

Can you verify the voltage on the power lead to the DirecLink.?  Also verify a good ground. 

Where are you tapping in for power to the DirecLink ?

Also verify you are connected at the 9 pin connector.... mine is a bit loose and sometimes gives me that error.

Do you have the blinking green light on the adapter box? 

15 minutes ago, MrSeas said:

That's what mine did the first time I hooked it up. Starting the truck corrected it. 

Can you verify the voltage on the power lead to the DirecLink.?  Also verify a good ground. 

Where are you tapping in for power to the DirecLink ?

Also verify you are connected at the 9 pin connector.... mine is a bit loose and sometimes gives me that error.

Do you have the blinking green light on the adapter box? 

I picked up all 4 wires from the jackalopee with 12 Gauge wire ... there is a green light on the box but also a blinking red light at what appears to be labeled "S 2" on the case near the green light.... is there a way to check the 9 pin connector for appropriate voltage? It seems like the fault is from the direclink to the 9 pin connector.... I was wondering if there was something wrong there or could it be a faulty "freightliner module"

Move your ground to a ground on the truck. The tape on the other wires is suspect to me.  I would pull the power from another source.  Find one in the fuse panel.  

Find some of these.  They come in "Yellow" for #12 and #10 wire.  Works better unless you do solder connections.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wire-connectors-and-fuses/stackable-one-fourth-inch-push-on-terminal-adapter-16-14-awg/3125/6755/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=CMFP-1614&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=Cj0KEQjwiI3HBRDv0q_qhqXZ-N4BEiQAOTiCHlrexaV2wFabDjYttzCAfLRkXXqbjqPf5uJOdjZilPsaAhJf8P8HAQ

On a recent truck, There were power studs by the pass thru in the firewall.... bottom left kick panel under the dash.  They were powered by Key On and worked great for rewiring a friends truck.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Looks like no light on HD truck is a possible problem. Can't talk to the truck. I'm sure you already tried all of your connections to both the main controller box and the HD Truck box. Maybe your 9 pin is  not working correctly. 

Whick model of DirecLink did you get?

45 minutes ago, MrSeas said:

Looks like no light on HD truck is a possible problem. Can't talk to the truck. I'm sure you already tried all of your connections to both the main controller box and the HD Truck box. Maybe your 9 pin is  not working correctly. 

Whick model of DirecLink did you get?

It's the 200

We had a similar problem when hooking ours up and it was solved with a larger gauge wire. Not sure if it was the same code but the solution was easy in out case. In our case I think it was a wire to the actuator, but the memory is a bit rusty.

Probably not the issue you are having but you never know  - could be something simple.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

6 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Move your ground to a ground on the truck. The tape on the other wires is suspect to me.  I would pull the power from another source.  Find one in the fuse panel.  

Find some of these.  They come in "Yellow" for #12 and #10 wire.  Works better unless you do solder connections.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wire-connectors-and-fuses/stackable-one-fourth-inch-push-on-terminal-adapter-16-14-awg/3125/6755/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=CMFP-1614&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=Cj0KEQjwiI3HBRDv0q_qhqXZ-N4BEiQAOTiCHlrexaV2wFabDjYttzCAfLRkXXqbjqPf5uJOdjZilPsaAhJf8P8HAQ

On a recent truck, There were power studs by the pass thru in the firewall.... bottom left kick panel under the dash.  They were powered by Key On and worked great for rewiring a friends truck.

Those are exactly the connectors I used in yellow.... the tape is just holding the 2 wires together that go on the same post... the tape on the single blue wire coming from the brake controller is only there because the little plastic yellow insulator slid down the wire after the end was crimped on,  so it is just holding the insulator in place

OK, found the fuse to power the OBD was bad, replaced this and we are up and running! Thanks all for the help! For future reference, 15 amp fuse in slot F22 powers the hot wire to the 9 pin connector, at least on 2007 model!

Now, I get to the home screen on the DirecLink and when I press the manual thumb slide that would apply the brakes, everything seems to work well, brake light LEDs on the Jack come on and the little graph showing the percent braking shows on the DirecLink screen, and the brake LED on the Jack gets brighter the more I slide the lever....However, when I press the truck service brakes, there is no little brake percentage graph that shows up on the screen...is this because I am not connected to the trailer? or should the graph show up regardless?

5 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

You need to be hooked up to the trailer when you use the service brake to see the graph on the controller head.

Thanks! I presume you are in Georgia? We just made reservations for the end of the month for our first HDT trip and it is to Georgia! 

Archived