Does your Mirrors stick out too far.....

Dollytrolley

Some trips to and from Death Valley to Oregon we sometimes overnight at the Rodeo Grounds in Hawthorne NV and this old 100 ton KW dump truck sits just across from the horse stalls where Dolly-the-paint-horse relaxes.......

The old caretaker drives the truck and tells me that it rides a bit rough until you get about 120,000 lbs of gold ore in the bed then she gets real smooooth all the way to the bank......

My problem is that when I sit in the drivers seat the right side mirror is so far away I cant see the mirror......much less what might be in the mirror......

Yes that is a standard KW cab its just that the actual running gear is........TWELVE FEET WIDE.......so I guess between the mirrors we have about 16 to 18 feet.......gulp. 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNzy_5OaiMNoe86DQPZksP4AejY-ppo1r981EOX_KnC--OmEG94n2hAeXo9fLCHjg?key=Y2p5ZVNtMzJPdlR6OV8zcEw0Sjd0UjRrVkhORWFR

What a ride......

Drive on...........(The original.....W I D E Ride)

PS........Photo sharing is kicking me in the butt........

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

53 minutes ago, vermilye said:

Then you could be hauling this boat...

ASC_7494.jpg

Hard to bass fish from that.  No trolling motor:D

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Much more common and a real pain to use were the mirrors on the right side of a U Model Mack. The R model cab was narrow to start with, then in their infinite wisdom, someone over at Mack said well let's make a offset model with the drivers door on the extreme left of the vehicle. Take a look at the mirror brackets on this example. Shaking like a dog extruding razor blades as my father used to say. except he didn't use the word extruding. 

U model Mack.jpg

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

14 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

My problem is that when I sit in the drivers seat the right side mirror is so far away I cant see the mirror......much less what might be in the mirror......

Easy, Mr. Dolly, glue a smaller mirror on a selfie stick and use the ole mirror on the miror trick.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I've driven this down the road on more than one occasion.

LBkTc9yl.jpg

That conveyor swings in for transport, so it's really only 31' wide.

And Jeff, the truck hooked to that trailer is an old "R" Mack.  My cousins have two of those things. They make a log wagon seem plush.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

7 hours ago, Scrap said:

Get the VIN off that old dump truck!  Let's see what she's made of...

Ok Scrap so..........now ya dangle the"bait" and as a "sucker" I am supposed to "bite" and then you......."set-tha-hook" and then "reel-me-in" with providing ya with the vin # on this fine KW just because you are too busy to rustle through the pile(z) of truck orders on your desk to find this trucks specs........

Shame on you Scrap........this unit has the earmarks of being speced-out by someone named Scrap .........Now it's obvious that this is a bit of a more commercial-built unit compared to Georgia Hybreedz new KW but heck at the end of the day they are Both just a couple of KW's separated by just a few vin#'s. .........now some folks might contend that this unit might be some kinda of chink knock off but have your CIA buddies zoom in close in the image and you'll see clearly that the "KW" is CAST in IRON in the top of the CAST IRON radiator tank.....none of those tacky-sissy-chrome-kW doo-dads that they tack on these days.......Shame on you Scrap I'll bet you foisted off on poor Georgia H. Some kinda cheep plastic tanked radiator on his sissy-ride-KW.........

Now look close again at the photo and you will see that you speed this unit with the UltraSecureCabDoorLockSystem (USCDLS).....that's the log chain looped thru both door windows with a Master Combo lock that the KGB could not crack.......so how in the heck am I supposed to crack the door to get a gander at the darn vin#.........now think about it .......anyone that owns this unit has got really BIG arms (no power steering) and a ver sore butt /back from bobtailing a rig with springs With TWO inch thick leaves in a stack 18" high so.......you really don't want to mess around this unit too much because the owner could just crush ya like a empty DrPepper can........

So........ill just guess tha the vin# is likely .......KWoooone .......ore maybe......KWoooootwo.......it's gotta be close......

come me on Scrap come clean .......ya got your grubby prints all over this unit.....you know very well what this unit is made out of ..........where did ya hide all the carbon fiber parts to keep the unit so lite........

Now regarding the date code on the tires well.........the code is.........."BC"....(Before Codez) so ya see these tires are exempt.....and......if ya take a good gander at the pic you'll note that they have no budge on the bottoms because they have been converted to .......solid rubber mine tires so you do not need those pesky TPMS do-dads on the valve stemz.........

Come clean Scrap........inquiring minds want to know........

Drive on.........(some KW's are not for .......play)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

8 hours ago, noteven said:

John Deere thrashing machine, KW truck, "rockin it" Palouse style

John Deere Combine Unloading On Go - Highway - YouTube.url

That's in Scrap's back yard.  Heck, I might be in the FRONT yard.  The tag on the video said it's a Deere 9600.  I didn't know they made it in a sidehill.  Mayhaps it's a 9500?  And I couldn't tell what that old yellow top was bringing up the rear, likely a 7720 Sidehill.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

That's how you do it!  Then you jump over and catch #2 while #1 continues on opening round.  Then you stop and back off the opening so #2 can loop around you to make a right turn to go cut the field road across the ridgetop.  You then follow #2 along the new field road and catch them both on the other side of the piece where they come together and then haul it off.  If you don't  work it that way then you end up with a cluster of the truck parked on the road waiting, #1 spinning circles making the field opening, and #2 sitting there watching him blowing all the kernels out the back as the separator runs empty.  That's our usual MO! :rolleyes:  The boss in the pickup should be up on the ridge flagging cars instead of youtubing but that's his perogative I guess....

9600's got the aftermarket levelers in either Spokane or Idaho.  They were the last series of the "real machines" with the torque tube levelers (wheels stay parallel to the machine when leveled).  They are still real popular in the Spokane/Northern Palouse area but I'm not too sure why.  We kinda skipped the whole 9600 series so I've never really worked with them.  #2 is most likely a 7722 hillside.  He should only be able to keep up on opening round... ;)

Dolly, the microfiche guy loves looking up old trucks and has one heck of a timeline of old things still living.  He is quite the truck genealogist.  He'd love to get a shot at the vin and I'm sure the old build paper would be pretty interesting.  No truck is allowed to die in peace!

22 hours ago, Scrap said:

Dolly, the microfiche guy loves looking up old trucks and has one heck of a timeline of old things still living.  He is quite the truck genealogist.  He'd love to get a shot at the vin and I'm sure the old build paper would be pretty interesting.  No truck is allowed to die in peace!

Ok Scrap.........Ya got me hooked.....so I guess I need to revert to my stealth days and conduct a .........."intel-harvest" at the highly secure site where the "Orange Beast" is staged in Hawthorne........

""Sea-cure" a keyword here since the sign as you enter Hawthorne says ......"WELCOME to the WORLDS LARGEST Munitions Depot"......(Gulp).....So ya see scrap everyone in Hawthorne seems to pack "Heat" and there is lot of spare ammo in countless bunkers for way too many miles in every direction.

Back in the stone-age when I was going to get rich in the "Av-Intel" game I used to have a gig flying "Image-survey" at times around the Hawthorne area and just a few miles S W of town there was a RESTRICTED area that was very small (Maybe two miles in dia. and up to about 9,000 ft mean sea level as I recall) this was where the out-of-sell-by-date-ordinance was shot off......so every time I had to fry the "survey" around Hawthorne I would check in with H Q and they would confirm that the RESTRICTED area was still valid but that it was not planed to be "HOT" during my flight times..........But ya know what it seems that I flew so darn slow that by the time I would get abeam the RESTRICTED area some group of jokers had found a BIG pile of bombs to shoot off and the part that always amazed me was how many chunks would sail well above top of the ceiling of the R--Area........was never to wild trying to top over most thunderstorms and I sure as heck stayed away from the top of the Hawthorne R-Area.......Those guys seem to save up the best stuff for the times of my flyby.......

Ok Scrap.......here is the deal it will be likely sometime before I can go-stealth-in-Hawthorne but I will try to get the geezer to unlock the log chain so I can get the door open to get a spy image of the vin#..........or maybe its just printed on the warnteeeee-card in the leather lined center counsel.....or maybe back in those days they just welded the Vin somewhere in the frame rail with six inch high numbers.........so Scrap since I have been out of the "intel-gigs" for way too many moons I just might not get the vin so maybe the fall-back-plan might be for me to try to "pro-cure" a ........paint-chip-sample from the unit BUT..........I hate to think where I might try to scrape a bit of paint off and not offend the owner since he will almost certainly notice the missing paint the next time he waxes the unit........

I was planing to use my cover as a...........g e e z e r........I am getting fairly good at that gig......

Tell the boys to get the mikrooo-fitch-machine warmed up...... one way or another I'll get the vin# or the paint-chip or.......geezer out trying.......... likely late May June before the rattlesnakes chase us off Last Chance Peak and we wonder up North to Hawthorne ............78 sunny today Dolly just took a 8 mile ride so all is well.......

Drive on..........(Stay off the top of the .........RESTRICTED Area)

Little more details of the Orange Beast's ........Sporty--Suspension Option............just a delight to bob-bob-bob-tail-tttttail.........

Shuck Scrap, maybe you could just get the serial number off the rear driver banjo and pull up the build sheet.......

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOson9D-t3yoersTEHxxv8QXcr37DVYPj-kpbQQ4Ke_7tj-zhOkNNiKVB0Ls7Sfag?key=QW1TdVN4Q1dtcEFiVTFvRTdpWmU1T0tPOGNFbWRn

Bet she don's sway much in the corners..........

Drive on...........(why does my tail bone......ache)

PS

Grumps had a few of Off-Road KW Loggers and working on these things were just like wrenching on locomotives.......I was not wild about these chunks of iron and my biggest job was filling the 300 gallon water tanks all day long (the tractor had a 300 gallon tank behind the cab and the trailer had two-- 150 gallon tanks on the trailers) each water tank had to have the cap screwed on tight and then air pressure was applied so that the driver could throttle the two tractor and two trailer valves to shoot water into the brake drums to keep the brakes from failing on the steep long twisty mtn logging roads. I used a fire hose to fill the tanks and yes I was soaking wet all day long but hey look at the big bucks I made at 13.........

The planetary gear boggies were HEAVY but seldom broke but every thing was HEAVY and even the bearing were HEAVY and the wheel were HEAVY but no one ever gave a second thought to loading 250,000 lbs on and gently coasting down the mtn as long as the ......kid filled the water tanks full.......

My first truck had a 290 Cummins in it, with a lever that operated a compression release. Got it cranking with no compression on the cylinders then released the lever, when it was cold out. Saved me many times. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived