Health Ins options in SD

Hello, we will be heading out in July as full timers.  We are going to set SD as our domicile.  My biggest concern is medical insurance for myself.  My husband has Medicare but I am only 61 and will need something.  I have contacted some agencies and googled my fingers numb but keep encountering that individual health insurance is not available in SD.  Has anyone used an agency that they like and would recommend?  Thank you so much, Debi

ACA coverage is available. See www.healthcare.gov or www.healthsherpa.com.

For off-exchange plans, see finder.healthcare.gov

It looks like only Avera and Sanford plans are available and the least expensive plans are around $800/month.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

http://www.alierahealthcare.com/individual-family-plans/alieracare/

We basically cover our year medical expenses. When this years premium costs came in, we elected to not get traditional Health Insurance. ($22,007 for 2017 + $6K deductible - so we said nope!).

I just turned 64, so will transition to Medicare for 2018. My wife will be 59 this year, so has a few more years to go:)!

We wanted some help if something catastrophic were to pop up, and we both felt comfortable with their belief's pledge - where as with others we'd researched earlier, we could not in good conscious say we did. 

We're South Dakota domiciled, and feel SD has everything going for it - with the exception of ACA compliant Health Care option for those that are Non Residence (Regardless of being Domiciled in SD. Voting in SD. Paying sales tax on major purchases in SD. Pumping hundreds of millions into businesses in SD. Etc.) We're plan to remain in SD, and let things simmer in DC and see what happens with ACA modifications/repeal/replacement - whatever it shakes to be...

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

47 minutes ago, Swhight said:

Following this thread. Hubby and I in almost the same situation, although we're not looking to go full-time for another 18-24 months or so. Starting my research early. :D

So we're talking 2018 - 2019, right? If so, then god knows.

If the ACA (Obamacare) is still around, it will probably be much diminished because of health carriers like Humana pulling out and Heath & Human Services policies.

You still may be able to use the ACA's SEP (Special Enrollment Period) to essentially "move" to a good health plan, but again who knows.

If I was planning on full timing now, I would wait until I was 65.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back today from a trip to SD (Sioux Falls) for a USD class reunion.  We also visited Dakota Post to discuss setting up a mailbox there as we would like to "move" from TN to SD after we sell the house later this summer.  Hubby and I are in the same dilemma - he is already on Medicare, but I am 57 and still need insurance.  I currently have insurance through Farm Bureau in TN (United Healthcare) and I should be o.k. on this policy for the rest of the year, although I'm going to contact my agent tomorrow to verify.  Yes, there seems to be the 2 options in SD for healthcare - Avera and Sanford - BUT only one (I think it's Avera) is a PPO (I have not found out yet if these plans even cover when you are traveling across country or out of country), AND I found out from an insurance agent up there that insurance companies will not use a mailbox as an address!  I am currently stuck with this whole address and health insurance thing.  We would be perfectly willing to domicile in TN since we've been living here since 2005, but once we sell our house we have no "home" anymore in TN and TN will not let you use a mailbox (PMB or otherwise) as an address on your driver's license.  SD will let you do this (although I keep running across the word "temporary"), however you cannot get health insurance with a mailbox.  Grrrr!!!  What are we supposed to do???  FL now has all fulltime RVers' addresses as their tag number on their rig since that is truly their home.  Makes sense.  But, we don't want to domicile in FL as we want to spend our time in SD and areas west of the Mississippi, and we are working on job ties (licenses) to SD.

So, those of us who are retired but not old enough for Medicare are pretty much screwed right now.  Most people will say, "use a friend or family member's address!"  Well, that is not fair to that person as then you become a "household member" and can screw up the household income status if you apply for a loan or student loan or financial aid.  Plus, I don't want anyone else to be responsible for my mail.  I want to use a digital mail service!  This is another dilemma in TN.  It's just crazy to try to figure this out.  I'm trying to work with the system, but the system is not set up for fulltime RVers.  I've got to get this figured out in the next couple of months because we will put the house on the market in late June or July and once it sells, I need to know what to use for an address.

. . there seems to be the 2 options in SD for healthcare - Avera and Sanford - BUT only one (I think it's Avera) is a PPO (I have not found out yet if these plans even cover when you are traveling across country or out of country) . . .

I believe that the SD PPOs are only in-state PPOs which are useless for out-of-state travelers.

AND I found out from an insurance agent up there that insurance companies will not use a mailbox as an address!

Mmmmmm . . . so homeless people can't get health insurance? Here's the Online ACA Application Form. Check what it says on the form for "Home address" in  "STEP 1 - Tell Use About Yourself". Unless your insurance agent has experience with full-time RVers (I'll bet I know the answer to this), then it may be time to say adios to your insurance agent.  Check out the RVer Insurance Exchange.

. . . we don't want to domicile in FL as we want to spend our time in SD and areas west of the Mississippi, and we are working on job ties (licenses) to SD.

Unless you are flush with cash, since you have 8 more years paying for your own health insurance, you may have to readjust your thinking. Here's why . . .

In-state PPOs are useless -- unless, of course, you don't leave the state. If that's the case, then a SD Avera plan should be hunky dory. On the other hand, if you do plan on traveling around the country, then FL is your only real option because it has an BCBS EPO plan that effectively functions as a nationwide PPO.

Plus, soon there will probably be a new ACA in town (see coming attractions).

Most people will say, "use a friend or family member's address!"  Well, that is not fair to that person as then you become a "household member" and can screw up the household income status if you apply for a loan or student loan or financial aid.

And it's also fraud.

I want to use a digital mail service!  This is another dilemma in TN.  It's just crazy to try to figure this out.  I'm trying to work with the system, but the system is not set up for fulltime RVers.  I've got to get this figured out in the next couple of months because we will put the house on the market in late June or July and once it sells, I need to know what to use for an address.

For either SD, FL, or TX, use the Escapee's Mail Service. It's tried and true.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived