TX drivers license

roryn3kids

Hi all,

I am new here.  Getting ready to become a full time van dweller and I think I want to set up TX as my domcile.  I've read that TX is one of the easier states to do this in.   I have family in both NV and TN so TX seems a good middle ground. How do I get started getting a drivers license in TX?

Thanks for any info you may have.

The booklet that Linda is speaking of is How To Become A Real Texan and it is available in .pdf format from Escapees for free. You will need a permanent address in Texas and also some means of getting your mail and I suggest that you start by joining the Escapees RV Club, then set up mail service through the club, which will then supply you with an address that is completely legal of all purposes in the state and which has even been tested and upheld in the courts. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I cannot tell you about Texas, but South Dakota is very easy.  You only need some paperwork including a receipt from a one night stay in either a South Dakota campground or motel.  There are no annual vehicle inspections, no income taxes, and maintaining residency is easy. 

4 hours ago, SecondWind said:

425Mail service runs $195 to $235 per year,

That isn't accurate as those numbers are the cost to get it set up. Once you are on the service, it costs $95, $1115, or $135 per year, plus postage used. We have used category B now for 17 years. The initial set up has a total of $100 more than the yearly fees which is a one time cost and which is the same no matter what category services you are getting.  Postage us billed each time that the deposited funds drop below $25 and the annual renewal fee is billed on the yearly anniversary of service. The set-up fee  and the cancellation fee is one time only.

Mail Forwarding Service Rates (cost to set up)

Category A

All mail received is forwarded

Annual Fee  ~ $95

Postage Deposit$50

Enrollment Fee$15

Cancellation Fee$35

For a Total of ~ $195

Category B

Request classes of mail           

Annual Fee ~ $115

Postage Deposit$50

Enrollment Fee$15

Cancellation Fee$35

For a Total of ~ $215

Category C

Requests special mail sorting

Annual Fee ~ $135

Postage Deposit$50

Enrollment Fee$15

Cancellation Fee$35

For a Total of ~ $235

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, Kirk Wood said:

The initial set up has a total of $100 more than the yearly fees which is a one time cost and which is the same no matter what category services you are getting.

Wonderful to know it'll actually cost us $100 less next year!!  We just drove over to Livingston and got ours set up a few weeks ago.  Paid for Class C because I figured it's only $20 more than Class B so why not.

It was a nice scenic trip, about 4 hours one-way I think, including our lunch stop in Huntsville.  We drove around Livingston sight-seeing a little bit and spent the night.  Very small town.  Not much to see.  For anyone who's never eaten there, you gotta stop by Charlie's Lonestar Restaurant.  First time we've ever heard of such a thing as Country Fried Bacon, so of course we just HAD to try it, and boy was it delicious!!

Cheers,

Ken

2 hours ago, SecondWind said:

We drove around Livingston sight-seeing a little bit and spent the night.  Very small town.  Not much to see. 

I believe that if you spend some time there, you will find Livingston to be the most Rv'er friendly community in the world! I know of no other place where you can go into any business, professional service office, or government office and nobody there will ask what a "fulltimer" is or how we live. Business people there understand what we do and they solicit our business. The Escapees RV Club is a major political & economic part of the city and of the county and they have an excellent relationship with the vast majority of permanent residents. 

8 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I know of no other place where you can go into any business, professional service office, or government office and nobody there will ask what a "fulltimer" is or how we live. 

We found Sioux Falls, South Dakota, to be like that, too. We were asked if we were Westporters--the name of the street for our mailing service.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:09 AM, Kirk Wood said:

I believe that if you spend some time there, you will find Livingston to be the most Rv'er friendly community in the world!

People were very friendly, yes.  But as someone just passing through for the moment, there just didn't seem to be much to the town.  Looks like any other small town.  Population is around 5500, and getting smaller according to the U.S. Census.  National poverty rate is 15%, but Livingston's is 22%.  Call me naïve, but since it's the headquarters of Escapees, I reckon I expected something a little bigger, wealthier, and fancier.  Especially being the county seat and next to the 2nd largest lake in Texas.   The top of Lake Livingston is absolutely beautiful, though.  Looks like a pretty area to retire to later.  We passed over on Highway 190 through Onalaska.  Next time we go over there, I'd like to check out more areas around the lake.

Before we moved to Texas, we spent 8 years in a rural southern Illinois town, population about 7700.  The town still only had dial-up internet, and didn't even have a movie theater.  The Walmart was the original rinky-dink one built back in the mid-80's.  Your choices for entertainment was either go to one of the two "hotspot" bars on the town square and drink, or go to the bowling alley and drink.  A decent-sized town was an hour away, so we were borrrrrred to death there.  Wife finally said she was going to leave me if I didn't move her "back to civilization".

This summer will mark our 8-year anniversary living around the Austin metro area (in Austin, Elgin, Pflugerville, & Georgetown ... even 6 months an hour northwest in Copperas Cove).  It's certainly been nice having more shopping, dining, and entertainment selections than you can shake a stick at around here...  even at 2 in the morning.  But the gypsy in both of us is calling, thus the plan to transition to a more mobile, and peaceful, lifestyle.

Cheers,

Ken

2 hours ago, SecondWind said:

People were very friendly, yes.  But as someone just passing through for the moment, there just didn't seem to be much to the town.  Looks like any other small town. 

That is probably due to the fact that it is a small, rural, town. Just how would you go about developing a property like Rainbow's End in Austin, or any other major city? And at what cost? It would be completely impossible but with Livingston, those who want to go to the city can be in Houston in about an hour's drive. 

I have always found large cities to be rather unfriendly and Austin among the worst.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:19 AM, Kirk Wood said:

1.  Just how would you go about developing a property like Rainbow's End in Austin, or any other major city? And at what cost? 

2.  I have always found large cities to be rather unfriendly and Austin among the worst.

1.  On the outskirts, I reckon.  Wherever you could find the proper-sized piece of land you need.  Cost?  Way more than in a small town, that's for sure.  In my experience, land around a big city can cost you 10 times what it costs in an out-of-the-way rural area.

2.  Generally speaking, yes.  Austin and the surrounding metro area cities seemed friendly enough when we got here 8 years ago, but things are getting worse as more and more out-of-staters are moving here.  Georgetown alone has been gaining approximately 2k new people per year since the year 2000, causing demographics to change rapidly and constantly.

I've lived in 23 towns/cities in 5 states.  In my experience...

Towns with a population less than 10k usually seem to be close-minded and old-fashioned.  They actually fight against progress and growth.  Friendly if you're passing through, but if you move there it's made quickly clear that you are an unaccepted outsider.  Hard to make real friends or find a job.  Gossip runs rampant, as everybody knows everybody's business.  Many of the folk were born and raised here, and have never in their lives been more than 200 miles away from home.  Poverty is often extremely high, as there's just no decent jobs around.

Towns with a population between 10k to 25k seem to have an attitude problem.  They think they are bigger and better than what they actually are, looking down their noses at the 5k population town while being extremely jealous of the 30k population city.

Cities with a population of 25k to 200k are alright.  Things seem to get better as the population increases...  bringing more jobs, shopping, and entertainment...  and thus a better standard of living.  I find populations of 125k to 150k to be the perfect balance.  Plenty of room for everybody to find a comfortable place to hang out with others who share your viewpoints.

Cities with a population over 200k start to develop real problems...  higher crime, higher cost of living, aging infrastructure, race and class segregation, worsening school systems, traffic jams, etc.  And beyond that, the rudeness factor seems to start going up, and in direct proportion to the population number.

Cheers,

Ken

3 hours ago, SecondWind said:

I've lived in 23 towns/cities in 5 states.  In my experience...

I would be very surprised if they were to move the HQ in my lifetime and would be even more surprised if the management were to ask for my opinion on doing so. 

When I joined I was based in Dallas and had ties to near Polk Cty. It is a little out of the way but when I joined mail svc and became a resident, I saved enough on my vehicle insurance to make it better.  There are still a few things I would like to see different but no place is perfect. The way people in Polk Cty and Livingston have become so RV'r friendly is icing on the cake.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, Kirk Wood said:

...and would be even more surprised if the management were to ask for my opinion on doing so. 

:lol:

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:58 AM, bruce t said:

Hmmm folks buy RVs to get away from the hustle and bustle and then complaining about being in a 'small' town!  Strange?

regards

I'm sorry, but I don't see how "buying an RV" and "being in a small town" are in any way connected...  :huh:

The RV lifestyle is a more laid-back and peaceful one that's based on mobility...  the freedom to come and go as you please, anytime, anywhere.  I look greatly forward to the near future where the biggest decision I have to make today is which color dart to throw at the map.

Cheers,

Ken

4 hours ago, SecondWind said:

I'm sorry, but I don't see how "buying an RV" and "being in a small town" are in any way connected...  :huh:

The RV lifestyle is a more laid-back and peaceful one that's based on mobility...  the freedom to come and go as you please, anytime, anywhere. 

I think that many of us use the freedom you describe to stay in areas that are less congested and have smaller populations.  In other words, smaller cities and towns.  When we travel we usually avoid the big cities like the plague other than to visit family or see specific sites.  Therefore, we find that we do hang out in smaller towns and I can see how that might not suit everyone.

As for your characterization of cities of different sizes we are roughly in sync.  My wife uses a different, but similar, rule of thumb.

Towns of 25-40k usually have sufficient, albeit marginal shopping

Cities of >125k will have adequate shopping opportunities.

We winter in Rockport TX a pleasant town of <7k permanent residents (not including snowbirds) which is a 30 minute drive from Corpus Christi, which we find to be a friendly city of 300-400k people.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:18 AM, docj said:

I think that many of us use the freedom you describe to stay in areas that are less congested and have smaller populations.  In other words, smaller cities and towns.  When we travel we usually avoid the big cities like the plague other than to visit family or see specific sites.  Therefore, we find that we do hang out in smaller towns and I can see how that might not suit everyone.

Hmm.  Okay, so for the most part, you're traveling and not in one spot long enough to really get to know the people...  so other than less congestion/traffic, what's the attraction for you?  The dead quiet at night?  The feeling of more elbow room?  "Fresher" air?

Cheers,

Ken

1 hour ago, SecondWind said:

Okay, so for the most part, you're traveling and not in one spot long enough to really get to know the people...

Those are your words, not mine.  When we travel we often spend extended periods of time in places we enjoy so that we can learn about the people, the culture, etc.  In 2015 we spent 3 months in one place on Prince Edward Island because our brief visit there the previous year made us want to come back.

And, during the winter months, we spend ~6-7 months on our owned RV site in Rockport TX.   My wife and I are integrated into the Corpus Christi volunteer scene which keeps us busy.  We have doctors, friends and a church in Corpus so we effectively live there even though we aren't "residents."

Being a full-timer is anything you want it to be, there's no right or wrong way to interpret the lifestyle.  This works for us.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

On 4/23/2017 at 4:58 AM, SecondWind said:

The RV lifestyle is a more laid-back and peaceful one that's based on mobility...  the freedom to come and go as you please, anytime, anywhere.

So if this is the case, why does it matter to you where the Peterson's who founded the club chose to establish the club's headquarters and home park? There were many reasons at that time, as the cost of land to put it on would have been far higher and regulations that must be met far more rigorous. Since the club began in 1977 and reached 2000 members in 1983, the Peterson's decided that it was time for a fixed location as it had been operated from their traveling RV up to that time. They convinced their daughter, Cathy (not yet Carr) to work for them to run the office and the Livingston location was chosen. With active memberships now at least 10 times that many, and extensive infrastructure, as well as the CARE center, now located on the Livingston property, it would be extremely expensive to move. The Escapees are a major economic force in Polk county and the local businesses actively seek their interest. Moving to some large city would minimize this if not eliminate it completely. It really doesn't matter today why they chose to go to Livingston, it is where they are and many of us like things that way. As you point out, there is no need for you to go but rarely.

If Escapees were in Austin they would not have the influence they have in Polk county and members would have show up for jury duty or jump through hoops to get out of it. We look for small towns when we travel. In fact we go to Chama, NM pop 1200 for the summer. We enjoy the laid back relaxing atmosphere, low crime rates,  friendly people. We absolutely hate cities, expensive, noisy, rushed hard to find parking, crime etc. We bought our motorhome to be away from the crowds. I think Livingston epitomizes the RV lifestyle for the majority of people who own them.

just my 2 cents

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

On 4/19/2017 at 1:25 AM, SecondWind said:

Austin and the surrounding metro area cities seemed friendly enough when we got here 8 years ago, but things are getting worse as more and more out-of-staters are moving here.  Georgetown alone has been gaining approximately 2k new people per year since the year 2000, causing demographics to change rapidly and constantly.

Wow, eight years ago, huh? This demonstrates that people's reference points are just that, their individual reference points. My wife was born in Austin (mid 1950's) and I moved there in 1968. By the mid-80's many folks thought that Austin had lost most of its charm and was doomed. By the year 2000 things were unbearable. By the time we retired in 2010 we couldn't wait to leave and haven't been back. But is sounds like you found it "friendly enough" around 2010 until those darned old out-of-staters started messing it up. Guess what? Those out-of-staters have been moving into Austin for decades!!

And while I find your anthropomorphic characterization of a town's "attitude" based on population size interesting, it doesn't match our experience at all. For us, towns of less than 10,000 are just fine, and frankly are our preference. 25K to 200K?  Ok at the smaller end of the range, but above 50K, no thanks!!!

Different strokes...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Simple fact is that where ever somewhere is someone will want to be somewhere else. Human nature.

Remember that Escapees is a 'club' in name only. So the powers that be can be where ever they choose to be.

But more importantly where else in the country will you find a county and its residents that has gone out of its way to accommodate so many happy campers? Well mostly happy campers!!!

I think we all need to make the effort to thank Polk county for their hospitality over the years rather than questioning Escapees location.

regards

Archived