Need help for East coast trip

If your planning on going up 95 thru Md. you can not use the tunnels in Baltimore with propane. You can use the 695 beltway east or west around the tunnels.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

You can avoid I-95 through Richmond,  Washington D.C, Baltimore and Philadelphia by taking US-17 from just North of the Georgia State Line to near Norfolk, VA.  Then take US--13 across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (just turn the propane tank off) and then US-13/113 up the East Shore of the Delmarva Peninsula. Take the Cape May Lewis Ferry to New Jersey and then follow SWarton's advice to avoid NYC. 

Maggie,

If you're planning to drive the Interstates, I'd strongly advise picking up I-81N in Virginia (either off I-64W or earlier) and take that to I-84E or, if you're really adverse to NYC/Northeast driving, to I-88E.  Then I-90E to I-495 clockwise around Boston & back onto I-95N.  It's a long way around, but it avoids a lot of heavy traffic.

Safe travels,

Rick

12 hours ago, SWharton said:

NYC area. If you are serious about staying by the coast(I assume via secondary roads) once you go up the Jersey shore I would get on I287 to get around the NY area. You might have a problem around Boston also.

Thank you. 

9 hours ago, Richard G Peters said:

Maggie,

If you're planning to drive the Interstates, I'd strongly advise picking up I-81N in Virginia (either off I-64W or earlier) and take that to I-84E or, if you're really adverse to NYC/Northeast driving, to I-88E.  Then I-90E to I-495 clockwise around Boston & back onto I-95N.  It's a long way around, but it avoids a lot of heavy traffic.

Safe travels,

Rick

Thanks so much! 

9 hours ago, Richard G Peters said:

Maggie,

Safe travels,

Rick

Thank you so much!

10 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

Did you know the temps are in 70s and low 80s in Redding ? You must enjoy the cold...Have a safe trip :)

LOL  it's along ways back home, and I am on the East coast so must finish my trip. :)

10 hours ago, Devilishjim said:

Did you know the temps are in 70s and low 80s in Redding ? You must enjoy the cold...Have a safe trip :)

Maggie Blair

Depends how long you're planning to take. Certainly avoid I95 from Richmond VA to New Hampshire, all traffic and tolls. If you are in no hurry go inland and take I81, explore the Blue Ridge Parkway, Luray Caverns, Pennsylvania then head east to the Finger Lakes, Vermont, New Hampshire and then Maine. We spent most of last summer doing just that before we wandered back to FL for the winter.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

I second and third the suggestion to go up I81.  We recently moved from NJ and travelled often down to Fredericksburg, VA to visit family.  The Washington DC Metro area is far worse than anything NYC can throw at you, IMHO.  And you won't be able to take advantage of the new and terribly expensive commuter lanes along I95.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Maggie,

In one of your other related posts, you said that you wanted to stay as close to the coast as possible. The I-81 route being proposed is no where near the coast. Even I-95 North of Savanah is not that close to the coast. Lots to see and do on each of the potential routes, but they are markedly different. In addition to what has already been mentioned about the I-81 route, there is a lot of Civil War history in places like Antietam and Gettysburg, Amish Country and the Pocono Mountains. The coastal route north of Savanah will take you through Charleston and Wilmington which have lots of historical and cultural sites. There are also many, many coastal National Wildlife Refuges and some National Seashores. Just depends on what if anything you want to see and do.

I suppose it comes down to priorities. How much time is available for the trip and how much flexibility/ability you have to travel at off off peak hours...which is to say the middle of the night.  ☺

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

9 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

Maggie,

In one of your other related posts, you said that you wanted to stay as close to the coast as possible. The I-81 route being proposed is no where near the coast. Even I-95 North of Savanah is not that close to the coast. Lots to see and do on each of the potential routes, but they are markedly different. In addition to what has already been mentioned about the I-81 route, there is a lot of Civil War history in places like Antietam and Gettysburg, Amish Country and the Pocono Mountains. The coastal route north of Savanah will take you through Charleston and Wilmington which have lots of historical and cultural sites. There are also many, many coastal National Wildlife Refuges and some National Seashores. Just depends on what if anything you want to see and do.

Thank you. I am totally baffled as to the direction to take at this point. I want to see the areas along the coast but may have to park my RV and just drive my car for  some of the sightseeing I want to do. My maps are almost worn out from me pouring over them daily. :) 

thanks again for all of your help.thanks again for all of your help.

Maggie Blair

What is missing from all of this is the amount of time that you wish to take to get from Florida to Maine.......  If you stop to see every attraction of interest to even one of us, you can expect to take at least a month to make that trip and I could spend far longer than one month, and have done so. You need to figure out when you plan to leave Florida and then when you feel you must be in Maine, then pick which highlights to see in route this time. We spent all summer in Virginia once and we still didn't see every historic site and national monument in a 150-mile radius of our location. We spent a week in Washington DC and that wasn't enough. We visited Appomattox Courthouse, Antietam, Gettysburg, Williamsburg,  Jamestown & Yorktown, Mt. Vernon, Manassas, Richmond, and Petersburg. And those are only part of what is located in Virginia. 

It will not be possible to see everything in one trip and especially if you want to arrive in Maine in time to spend your summer there. I suggest that you choose a route and then select what things you wish to visit based upon your route. You could select a few things to visit and plan your route based upon those but if you do you will probably zig zag so much as to make the trip north into a nightmare of highways and byways. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 4/4/2017 at 10:35 AM, mkc said:

Stay off anything labeled "Parkway" in NY, no matter what your GPS tells you ;-)  You're not allowed and you won't fit under the overpasses.

And you will have an embarrassing hour or so waiting for the police to come to stop traffic and help you exit so you don't get stuck under the bridge. Did not happen to me, but I know it happened to others.  I was luckily able to get off just before the first 10' bridge! 

One excellent side trip is taking the ferry to Okracoke from the south and then the ferry north to Cape Hatteras on the Outer Banks.  Ferries are small but take even very large buses and trailers, although I admit to the Cape Hatteras ferry being a bit scary.  In any case, the Outer Banks are wonderful, and the campground at the National Park on Okracoke is very nice, although no hookups. 

Archived