Using Micro-Air EasyStart unit on rooftop AC

noteven

I'm thinking about adding a Coleman Mach 8 9,200  roof AC equipped with a Micro-Air EasyStart to my truck camper so I can use a single Honda 2000i generator to run it.  I am not quite clear as to what altitude, humidity & ambient temperature the Honda will be capable of operating the above configured AC unit. 

Any comments from people using generator powered AC at higher altitudes will be appreciated. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We have a 13.5 K BTU AC and we're able to operate it with our 3KW Yamaha Generator.  We've never tried to operate it at high elevations; usually when we're in the mountains we just don't need it.  We have used it at 3,000 or 4,000 feet without problems.  I do know that I can tell our generator has significantly less power at high elevations.  I've read that gasoline generator power needs to be derated by 3% per 1,000 feet above sea level.  I guess if our generator (50% more power than yours) can operate our AC (47% higher BTU than yours) then I suspect you'll be okay up to 4,000 feet for sure but I seriously doubt you'll be able to operate it above 6,000 feet.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

I don't have any personal experience with this generator, but from some quick investigation it sounds like you will need to re-jet the carb if you are going over 4000 ft of elevation.  Even with re-jetting, there is a power de-rate on the engine.  Here is a quote from a Honda PDF file on the subject:

"Even with carburetor modifications, engine horsepower will decrease around 3.5% for each 1,000-foot (300 meter) increase in elevation. When the carburetor is modified for high elevation operation, the air-fuel mixture will be too lean for low elevation use. Operation at elevations below 5,000 feet (1,500 meters) with a modified carburetor may cause the engine to overheat, and result in serious engine damage."

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

Archived