7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am downsizing to a 27' travel trailer and 3/4 ton truck.

What anti-sway bar is considered the safest?

Thank you

I would assume that you will be towing with an equalizer hitch of some type and those do provide at least some antisway, but I would still recommend use of more. I use the Curt friction sway control on our trailer. 

Welcome to the forums!

Edited by Kirk Wood

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!! There are a number of antisway devices on the market and all seem to have their devotees. With a 27' Travel Trailer, you will likely need a weight distribution hitch and sway control. Many sway control devices attempt to control sway by friction or other damping means. The Hensley Arrow, Propride Hitch and Pullrite Hitch actually change the leverage point of the trailer on the tow vehicle making it more difficult for sway to occur rather than trying to dampen the sway. They are more expensive than the other combination weight distribution and sway control hitches.

Again, welcome to the Escapees forum!!!

A couple of mid-line priced WD hitches that are very popular are the Equalizer Hitch and the Blue OX hitch.  Both are in the $500 range.  A few nice ones available on craigslist at times for a good price.

The Equalizer is reported to be a little noisy but works very well on the road.

The advantage to the Blue Ox seems to be the option to change the hitch bar stiffness based on your tongue weight should you change trailers down the road.  

I just went to the Blue Ox with the 1000lb bars for my 30' arctic fox, gross weight at 10,000 with hitch weight around 750-800.  

Both of these hitches allow you to back up without removing the anti-sway device on some other hitches.  You can do a google search on both hitches and their is a lot of info available.

Good luck with your decision.

On 4/13/2017 at 6:22 PM, barlow46 said:

A couple of mid-line priced WD hitches that are very popular are the Equalizer Hitch and the Blue OX hitch.  Both are in the $500 range.  A few nice ones available on craigslist at times for a good price.

The Equalizer is reported to be a little noisy but works very well on the road.

The advantage to the Blue Ox seems to be the option to change the hitch bar stiffness based on your tongue weight should you change trailers down the road.  

I just went to the Blue Ox with the 1000lb bars for my 30' arctic fox, gross weight at 10,000 with hitch weight around 750-800.  

Both of these hitches allow you to back up without removing the anti-sway device on some other hitches.  You can do a google search on both hitches and their is a lot of info available.

Good luck with your decision.

I'm curious how satisfied you are with your Blue Ox hitch.  It just isn't intuitively obvious to me how its design really does much in the way of sway control.  Do you have any evidence that it prevents sway as good or better than the Equal-i-zer?  Also, have you been able to transfer a large percentage of the hitch weight with their spring bars?

I've been towing with an Equalizer for over 10 years and I'm pretty satisfied with it.  Through quite a bit of experimentation I've been able to "dial-in" all the adjustments and get rid of all the irritating noises.  Also, I've found the company really stands behind their product.  They are very responsive  when I have questions and they've replaced several parts that have failed free of charge regardless of the age of the unit.

I do not have any problems with sway using this unit.

I used the Equal-i-zer for years with previous trailers and was very happy with it. I would recommend it to anybody. However it got to where it was harder for me to deal with the heavy bars and started looking for an easier way when we got our current trailer and ended up going with the Andersen. It is a bit different but works amazing well and is very easy to hook and unhook: much easier than the traditional set-ups. The anti-sway part works flawlessly. At least check out their website and see what you think. http://www.andersenhitches.com/catalog/andersen-nosway-weight-distribution-hitch.aspx

37 minutes ago, theeyres said:

I used the Equal-i-zer for years with previous trailers and was very happy with it. I would recommend it to anybody. However it got to where it was harder for me to deal with the heavy bars and started looking for an easier way when we got our current trailer and ended up going with the Andersen. It is a bit different but works amazing well and is very easy to hook and unhook: much easier than the traditional set-ups. The anti-sway part works flawlessly. At least check out their website and see what you think. http://www.andersenhitches.com/catalog/andersen-nosway-weight-distribution-hitch.aspx

I looked into the Anderson a year or two ago.  I can understand how it might be very effective controlling sway but the geometry of the chains in tension horizontally vs. having vertical tension as with most other weight distributing hitches convinced me that it would not be nearly as effective as the Equalizer for weight distribution.  Some internet research and conversations on other forums confirmed my suspicion.