"Setting up Shop" in South Dakota

I know many of you full-timers have used SD as your domicile.   We plan on doing the same thing in a few months.   I was hoping to get some recommendations for accountants, will and trust law firm, insurance, banking and medical and dental practices either in Rapid City or Sioux Falls.   Lastly, we are likely going to stay there for a month or two as we await the customization of our RV.   Does anyone have any recommendations for short-term (1-2 months) furnished apartments in either city?   Thanks for your thoughts.

Ian

I'm not sure why having a SD domicile in any way necessitates having banking, insurance or medical contacts there.  We've been SD residents for 6 years and our banking is handled by Wells Fargo and our insurance broker is AIS in CA and our policies are appropriately written for SD by Blue Sky.  Since we winter in the Corpus Christi TX area, we've elected to have all our doctors from there.  I can see having an attorney prepare appropriate SD legal documents, but the other stuff doesn't have to be done in SD IMO.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I have been looking into setting up domicile in SD as well, but I have been a TX resident for 30 years and will shed the Sticks and bricks in early may and take delivery of a new Ventana LE 4002 end of May in Albany NY. I have paid my dues in Texas and don't have a problem with the move to SD to stretch my dollars into my best years to come full-time on the road.

My current plan is to purchase MH in Montana LLC with domicile in SD. I have acceptable Insurance Quotes for LLC owned MH and now looking into tagging and insuring my toad in SD along with SD Driver license. Toad on Insurance on LLC was double what I pay in TX so looking to tag MH in MT and toad in SD with Insurance maybe from Geico or other that is better.

Anyone run into any issues tagging MH/toad in MT/SD? Option 2 of course would be to bite the bullet on the 3% sales tax on the new RV and do it all in SD. As they say nothing set in stone, set in Jello at this point and have not pulled the trigger yet on selection of state Domicile, registration, insurance, and mail forwarding. All work in progress as I read the forums here as a newbie member and soon to be Full-timer. :)

FYI, I noticed Blue Sky is not writing new policies. So checking others for Insurance on MH and Toad together or split if best.

RV: 2017 Newmar Ventana LE 4002 - Cummings 360HP ISB6.7

Toad: 2014 Chevrolet High Country Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 

For mail forwarding and permanent address we've been with Terri at My Dakota Address for 10 years and are very satisfied with her service.  When we first became SD residents she referred us to First Madison Ins. just down the street from her business place.  They are an independent agent and very familiar with all companies that deal with full-time Rvers.  We've been very happy with their service.  We do all our banking with a nationwide company over the internet.  We get our medical, dental, and vision services in various states where most convenient.  We don't have a CPA in SD since we have no state income tax or other tax issues in that state.  We had our trust and wills re-done to conform with SD law while making some other desired changes to them.  For that we used Brad C. Grossenburg at Woods Fuller Shultz & Smith P.C. in Sioux Falls.  My research a few years ago led me to believe he was one of the foremost trust/estate attorneys in SD.  We've now had him update our trust and wills a second time and are very pleased with his service.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

MyDakotaAddress and Escapees were the two I am considering, like the scan options as I still work full time and from the road wil be good to have. Thx for reference on legal as I will need to do that as well, I kinda work as I go so no big estate planning needed but do need the basics.  I got quotes of $1600/Yr MH in SD and $2000/yr MH in MT LLC. I will check out First Madison Ins. For MH/toad in SD and if they handle MT LLC MH ins. I have less than thirty days to bring this together,

thanks Ron for the feedback

Life is Gooder,

-R

Thank you all.  Very helpful.   Responding to Docj, the reason to do all those things is not to prove residency to SD, it's to help insure that in the eyes of the state I am LEAVING, Massachusetts, that I am indeed a resident of SD.

18 hours ago, ischneid said:

...either in Rapid City or Sioux Falls.   Lastly, we are likely going to stay there for a month or two as we await the customization of our RV.   Does anyone have any recommendations for short-term (1-2 months) furnished apartments in either city?

There's a little lodge on America's Mailbox site outside Rapid City.  It might simplify matters if they were already on your radar.  Would be nice to walk over and talk to the folks setting up your domiciliary if a thought occurred to you...

It's a small thing, but Pennington county (where AM is located) does not appear to have a wheel tax (pdf).

--

2017 Promaster 159" , 570W mono, 220AH FLA

blog | RVwiki project

14 hours ago, Rusty Nail said:

My current plan is to purchase MH in Montana LLC with domicile in SD.

Since you have to pay an annual fee to keep the LLC in force, is it really a financial benefit to have the LLC, versus just paying the 3% sales tax and have everything in SD?

It's $49/yr to maintain, some charge 150/yr but MT filing fee is only $15 if you do it yourself and it is looking like SD sales tax is 4% and my current state of Texas is 6% so $49/yr is minimal compared to 4% or 6% on 200k. Of course the extra burden of making sure I comply with not having it stored or used in domicile state per guidelines from what I am reading. All I know is all research and not on experience yet. Going full time in May and cutting back on work has me looking at all frugal options but not be too risky.  

We used Your Best Address in Sioux Falls and they referred us to the Dougherty Agency there.  They gave us quotes for full-timers coverage thru 4 different companies along with quotes for our Jeep and motorcycles.  We chose to insure with Progressive Ins.thru the Dougherty Agency.  We are happy with the agency and the company so far but have not had any claims.  Our deductible reduces as we have no claims, and our premium has gone done at the renewals as our discounts go up for length of time having the policies.

You should get your mail service started and address changes made as soon as possible, as part of your requirement will be 2 pieces of mail received at your SD address when you go to get your drivers license.  Also be aware, that Sioux Falls is the only facility that is open on Mondays to get your drivers license.  Others in the state are closed ( reason unknown).  After you do license your vehicles, you can set up an online account with the state to renew your tabs online each year.

Pat DeJong

We also use Your Best Address in Sioux Falls. Since you are getting a new coach you will have to pay the sales tax. We had already paid taxes on our MH and Jeep, so no sales tax for us. We will have to pay it when we trade, though. Check with your insurance company about whether you have to have an agent in SD or not. We have State Farm for the Jeep, so we had to have a SD agent. No big deal. The MH is with Progressive, and the agent is in Nevada (a State we've not yet visited). The agency specializes in insuring full-timers, so that's the way we went.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On 4/1/2017 at 4:20 AM, ischneid said:

Thank you all.  Very helpful.   Responding to Docj, the reason to do all those things is not to prove residency to SD, it's to help insure that in the eyes of the state I am LEAVING, Massachusetts, that I am indeed a resident of SD.

I understand this. We changed Domicile to SD from California, but retained a care registered in CA, as well as a vacation home and a second piece of rental property. So we wanted to draw as much of line in the sand as possible. I joined the Rapid City Elk's. We now donate yearly to the Rapid City Elk's Lodge funds that helps the community, as well as the local Boy Scouts. We also keep copies of our correspondence to our local representatives on how we want them to represent us, as well as our Congress and Senate members too. We've looked at land and property in the Black Hills and Sioux Falls area, again keeping records of doing so. (Came close to buying a condo in Sioux Falls in a nice area, but moved just a bit too slow:)!)

Some states don't like to say good bye, so especially in the early years, going a bit overboard is perhaps prudent. 

And yes, we have insurance from multiple states. We have other states that we also provide donations to within state groups - so we're for sure not exclusive to South Dakota in that regards. Heck, even donate in California too:)! (Well, besides our taxes on rental income, gas, property and sales tax while within the state:)!).

Best of luck to you OP,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

On 4/1/2017 at 6:20 AM, ischneid said:

Responding to Docj, the reason to do all those things is not to prove residency to SD, it's to help insure that in the eyes of the state I am LEAVING, Massachusetts, that I am indeed a resident of SD.

You are very wise to take the time to make things clear. While very few of us ever have our claimed location of domicile challenged, it can be a nightmare of legal issues if it should happen and the most common source of those problems is the taxing authority you are leaving behind. I have an article on the subject posted on our website about domicile, which was published twice by Escapees Magazine. In addition, Shawn Loring has an article about this issue posted on the Escapee website.  While it is true that many people simply pick a place to claim as domicile and just register vehicles and such there, moving no other part of their life to that location and never have any problems from that decision, if they should be challenged it can become a nightmare. Several years ago I spent more than a year in researching cases which have resulted from those challenges, and while I don't have space to go into the things that I found, you do not want that sort of experience!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived