solar install

tinagh

I have no info about OKC.  However it would be helpful to state if you just want someone to install the components you have purchased or you want to have the system designed and installed. 

Either way it takes quite a bit of planning and design work to do a quality install in a RV.  It is not just a simple mount the panels, and run the wires.  Not something I would trust with just hiring a mobile RV repair person unless they could establish they have done 10-30 installs previously. 

On edit.  If you just want a panel or two installed to keep your batteries charged while dry camping and only using the RV lights, a couple hours of over the air RV and limited furnace use. No microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc.  Then it is pretty simple to mount the panels and wire them directly to the batteries. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, Al F said:

I have no info about OKC.  However it would be helpful to state if you just want someone to install the components you have purchased or you want to have the system designed and installed. 

Either way it takes quite a bit of planning and design work to do a quality install in a RV.  It is not just a simple mount the panels, and run the wires.  Not something I would trust with just hiring a mobile RV repair person unless they could establish they have done 10-30 installs previously. 

On edit.  If you just want a panel or two installed to keep your batteries charged while dry camping and only using the RV lights, a couple hours of over the air RV and limited furnace use. No microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc.  Then it is pretty simple to mount the panels and wire them directly to the batteries. 

DON'T wire direct to batteries.  You always need a controller, even an inexpensive one, which for only a couple of panels it will be.  Controller prevents overcharging if the RV is parked and unused and from discharging the batteries at night.  There are  many experts here and on line, check other sources for more info.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

5 hours ago, mscans said:

DON'T wire direct to batteries.  You always need a controller, even an inexpensive one, which for only a couple of panels it will be.  Controller prevents overcharging if the RV is parked and unused and from discharging the batteries at night.  There are  many experts here and on line, check other sources for more info.

I should have added a few more details about wiring solar panels directly to the batteries. 

--  You don't have to have a controller.  There are things you need to keep in mind if you don't have a controller.  See below.  If you have permanently mounted panels it would be best to install a controller. 

--  You do need to monitor the state of charge so the batteries are not overcharged.  I believe most all new panels have built in diodes to keep from discharging the batteries at night. 

--  It would be prudent to install a cut off switch to easily disconnect the panels when not needed

--  There a significant number of people who carry one or two solar panels in a storage compartment.  They take them out and prop them up facing the sun and just run wires to the batteries.  

IF you decide to add solar panels as a do it yourself project, you must do your research and educate yourself about the ins and outs of the install. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

As a longggggggggggg time RV user and past used dealer, I have seen plenty of situations where a solar charge controller was NOT used (between panels and batteries) and the system of course still "worked" and pumped charging current (too much or too long ? therein lies the issue, possible risk of overcharging etc.) into the batteries HOWEVER as an electrical engineer (but NOT a solar expert) I have to go on record and suggest use of a proper solar charge controller between the panels and batteries. Back when I had less panel watts FWIW an MPPT solar charge controller seemed to deliver more energy into the batteries then a PWM. I will add when I saw NO controller in use it was usually smaller systems maybe a single 50 to 100 watt carry out panel connected to one or two batteries.

You need panel(s),,,,,,,,,,,,charge controller,,,,,,,,,,,,batteries,,,,,,,,,,,,,proper wiring and overcurrent protection,,,,,,,,,its realty NOT rocket science

Your money, your system, your risk, your choice, not ours

John T

In this case of some small panels wired directly to the batteries there is still a controller . . . YOU!  If you are manually connecting/disconnecting the panels then you are working as the controller, a very expensive and unreliable one but still a controller.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Archived