What speeds are you actually seeing on Verizon?

I recently read a post that reported getting download speeds of greater than 50MBS. The Verizon website says: "able to handle download speeds between 5 and 12 Mbps (Megabits per second) and upload speeds between 2 and 5 Mbps, with peak download speeds approaching 50 Mbps."  I have done speed tests using the speed test function of the WFR router, Speedtest.com and Speed of me. I have never noticed a 4G speed greater than 14MBS with 6-8 being common and less than 5 also being common. I am using the phone tethered to the WFR router and the computers connected by Ethernet to the router.  We are currently near Mobile, Al. The best speed I have seen is a little less than 5MBS. The campground has about 100 sites and is mostly full. Between 6-9 PM, the speed drops to about 1.5-2MBS. Last week East of Pensacola, we had 3G only. We are still encountering some 1X areas particularly in West Virginia, Northern Georgia, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. I am curious what other Verizon users are encountering. 

My speeds vary widely, depending on the signal strength, 1G, 3G or 4G, and how loaded the tower we connect to. 

When we are out in the boonies with 1G we see speeds like we had on the old dial up connection we had 20 years ago.  That is about 50K bps (that is Bits per second, not Bytes).  At those speeds we have a hard time getting NOAA weather to display. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We are checking every day and during the day on our upgraded  Verizon MiFi 7730L and the Verizon Unlimited plan. We are near WDW in Orlando,Fl.

25.23 Gig, No throttling 27.67 D and 13.45 U just now That is what it has been all along with the old jet pack and the old plan.  Speed test, PC pit stop, Visual Route server.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Samsung S6 Hotspot. Sometimes amplified by the Maximum Signal Amp, and other times with strong signal we'll turn off the MS Amp. 

We just spent two months hitting many of the Arizona State Parks, Grand Canyon, and a few other areas around Camp Verde and Sedona and Prescott areas. 

We went from no coverage at all areas, to places where we had mid 20's down and low teens up... As mentioned, so many variables that differences can really make what one person sees in one location and specific time quite different:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

17 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I recently read a post that reported getting download speeds of greater than 50MBS.

When I pulled into a Port Aransas campground, I was getting getting up to 89 Mbps using Speedof.me on my iPhone.

I'm only in the 40's now:

speedtest_porta.jpg

But I'm right under a cell tower . . .

whatididtoday01.jpg

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Around 60Mb/s down, 15Mb/s up, which has not been unusual for me during low-use hours along the I-25 corridor between Las Cruces and Truth or Consequences, NM. The latter location is where the attached speed test was taken this morning. Tested on an iPhone 6s Plus.

IMG_1449.PNG

Ted

21st Century 21' Class C

• 2 weeks later...

As said, "Location, location, location"...

About a quarter mile from I-81 near Mt Jackson, VA using our Verizon 6620L Jetpack:

6207462847.png

And our AT&T Homebase:

6207467579.png

And for completeness, our Verizon 3G only flashed 4620LE Jetpack:

6207471433.png

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I just speed tested mine.

i have an IPhone 6s and and IPad air2.  Both have the latest IOS updates.  When using the phone as a hotspot with 5 full bars at 2am I am getting 1.3 mbps up and down.  Very disappointed at these speeds.  My campground wifi is faster.  Might be looking at a Mobly REALLY soon and change my Verizon plan to just talk and text.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2017 at 7:04 PM, trailertraveler said:

I recently read a post that reported getting download speeds of greater than 50MBS. The Verizon website says: "able to handle download speeds between 5 and 12 Mbps (Megabits per second) and upload speeds between 2 and 5 Mbps, with peak download speeds approaching 50 Mbps."  I have done speed tests using the speed test function of the WFR router, Speedtest.com and Speed of me. I have never noticed a 4G speed greater than 14MBS with 6-8 being common and less than 5 also being common. I am using the phone tethered to the WFR router and the computers connected by Ethernet to the router.  We are currently near Mobile, Al. The best speed I have seen is a little less than 5MBS. The campground has about 100 sites and is mostly full. Between 6-9 PM, the speed drops to about 1.5-2MBS. Last week East of Pensacola, we had 3G only. We are still encountering some 1X areas particularly in West Virginia, Northern Georgia, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. I am curious what other Verizon users are encountering. 

When you run your tests, how close are you to a tower? When I first switched to Verizon, I spent a few hours driving around watching the decibel level to run tests at different distances from a tower. Parked where the signal was -55db, my down speed was 48mbps. I then drove until that db reading was at -75, and the speed dropped to about 20mbps. Then I ran around until it was -90db, and the download speed was about 6mbps. At -100 it dropped to 3mbps, and at lower db readings I didn't even bother testing. That Network Cell Info Lite app is GREAT for this kind of testing. Once I hit the road and lose my home internet of 70mbps it will be culture shock having to deal with variable internet speed based on tower proximity, but it is what it is. If I want to live in an RV I have to understand that some things have to change.

9 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

...When you run your tests, how close are you to a tower?...

Honestly, I have no idea. I have been in locations where I could see a tower and still did not get the speeds some report, although I have no idea whose tower it was and did not try to find out. If there were enough options of places to stay in an area, I guess one could look for where the Verizon Towers are located and select the closest location. But, even that may or may not help depending on the terrain. So far, we continue to select our stops based on factors other than internet connectivity and have not chosen to incur the cost of having devices from multiple providers.

Archived