Scary Fault Code

Bobi and Dick McKee

On my way up to La$ Vegas for service yesterday I got a real scare when the alarm went off along with the stop engine, check engine and the red oil indicator.  I immediately checked the temps which were correct and oil pressure was right at 55 lbs. where it belongs, As I slowed down to pull over all the alarms shut off.  When I got to Rocky Mountain Cummings in North Las Vegas they checked the codes and found codes 415 and 143 which are for the engine oil rifle pressure sensor circuit. Both codes were inactive. They said there wasn't much to do with the codes being inactive and it was probably communication glitch and not to worry unless it happens again.  It doesn't give me a warm fuzzy getting ready to take off for the summer in a month.  Have any of you experienced and alarm that just goes away by itself?  Thanks in advance, Dick

I should have added it is a 2015 Sportchassis with a Cummins ISL 9 16k miles

I had my 2015 SportChassis with the same engine in the shop for a wheel alignment about 4 weeks ago. I was sure I had a engine error code from one recent start and shut down for what reason? A minute later it started and run ok, but eng 1 in the little window.  Anyway no codes were found???.

Also in the same order I mentioned I had the MIL light coming on and remaining on or longer periods of time each start. They couldn't offer any reason or anything. About 850 miles later (all Bobtail Miles) the MIL Light (yellow engine) came on and stayed. Back to Doggett's in San Antonio where they indicated an EGR problem so they found the EGR cooler plugged and replaced.

I have an air leak (Hydraulic Brakes) which started also a month ago, the dealer didn't find a thing so I trying something else next week. By Freightliner standards it may not bad enough but it is a change. Five weeks ago the  truck sat idle for 5 days and may not have been as low as 50 as it was customary to see the reading of 90-100 after setting 12-36 hours but never alarm. Now it alarmed in 2 1/2 hours and I timed it to be at 52 PSIG in 4 hours and getting faster when warm. The Air pressure doesn't drop below 50??.

Bottom line it seems the Techs work for a engine computer.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

MS 60, I called Powers Motors in Salinas, CA, the dealer who sold me the unit.  The person I purchased the truck from is very knowledgeable and has been selling Sportchassis for many years.  He explained that what occurred was not all that uncommon.  Apparently the truck electronic system, not the 12v truck electrical system,  can sense a millisecond  ground loss and cause the alarms. It is basically the same information Freightliner in Las Vegas gave me. They were kind enough to have the mechanic that handles most of the Sportchassis that come in for service or repair call me. He too said it was just a momentary "glitch" in communications and not to worry.

Also on your EGR problem, did you have recall the recall taken care of to reprogram the ECR and the one to insulate two of the fuel injector lines?  The one for the EGR was to eliminate error messages from the EGR.

21 hours ago, Bobi and Dick McKee said:

Also on your EGR problem, did you have recall the recall taken care of to reprogram the ECR and the one to insulate two of the fuel injector lines?  The one for the EGR was to eliminate error messages from the EGR.

Never had a recall but they did perform recall 1737 last week. It was ISL CM2350 ECM Calibration campaign.

I brought the truck used with 8,000 miles was not aware of any service recalls then or since. I will check further.

Thanks Clay

On 3/31/2017 at 8:13 AM, ms60ocb said:

the MIL Light (yellow engine) came on and stayed. Back to Doggett's in San Antonio where they indicated an EGR problem so they found the EGR cooler plugged and replaced.

Well the Malfunction Light happened again with less 1000 mile which had 138 miles towing. and quite a few tollway miles. We was expecting to be OKC area tomorrow night but luckly My FW can remain as parked a couple days. But I had an appt  for Tuesday with Sports Chassis.

As for recall #1701 recall I don't see any insulation on any injection lines

Another thing for the dealer question list..

Clay

Well I'm setting at Lonestar Freightliner at Temple TX. These guys have impressed me so far. On the recalls it turns out Cummins has no knowledge of my engine, thus no recalls. Everything is good with Freightliner's data but somewhere my truck fell through the cracks.

The problem today is in the after treatment area starting at the DEF tank and filter working toward SCR.

After 4 days in the shop the Truck is back on the road. I towed the RV 300 miles today and Sunday will continue to Clinton OK for a little warranty work.

The truck after treatment by repaired by  replacing the Catalyst. I understand some 2015  Dodge Cummins Engines had a similar problem but then the same controlling Company.

Clay

2015 Sports Chassis with Cummins ISL9 350 HP with 24,300 miles

Archived