Front end shake above 70mph

trimster

I have an 1998 466 International 4700. On several recent long trips, bobtail, I notice that the front end shimmies. It is cyclic. It will be totally smooth for a while then cycle into the shimmy. At or below 70mph it's fine. Above 70, it starts. Thought about a steering stabilizer setup. But something is fundamentally off to start this kind of action and a stabilizer would only mask most of the problem I think.

Ideas? suggestions...

Bob Trim

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

We had a similar problem but not at speed, just when we were driving at around 35-45 mph and not all the time It ended up being the front end. I don't remember anymore whether it was the shocks or something else. But definitely something to do with the front end. This was on a 2001 IH MDT.

We had checked for out of round tires and that wasn't it. Sorry I can't be more specific but it was probably 10+ years ago.

Just an out of the box thought.  Why would you want to go over 70 in a 4700?  Esp while towing.  Seems to me like that would be inviting trailer tire failures.  Without towing, the truck doesnt have weight to have it ride well.  At least that is my experience.  Plus, as I posted before, I am still in the working world and when I get in my 4700, ts to go "recreate", so working on learning to RELAX and enjoy the JOURNEY.  The destination often will take care of itself when I get there.

Marcel

I bobtail at that speed(s). Towing our 36' 5'er...nope. 

Still, I'd like to get it figured out.

Thanks for the input all. I'm off to get the front end and tires looked at.

Bob

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Archived