DirectTV Now Recording

The whole purpose to "on demand" streaming is to eliminate the need to record content.  I suppose you're thinking of situations where you might not have internet connectivity and would like to record shows in advance.

The simple answer is that you can't do this by design.  It's the same reason why, if you use an auxiliary disk drive to expand the recording capabilities of the DVR you get from DirecTV or Dish, you can only playback that recorded content through the DVR that recorded it.  DRM (Digital Rights Management) limits your ability to record digital content because a digital copy of a program is, essentially, a true copy and has all the content of the original.  Therefore, if not restricted you could take that copy and sell it as being totally the same as the original.  This is not the same as with analogue content which degrades each time it is copied.

So if you were able to record streamed content you would also be able to copy those recordings and distribute or sell them.

This is not to say that it is technologically impossible to record streamed content, that there is no simple and legal way to do so.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

6 hours ago, docj said:

The whole purpose to "on demand" streaming is to eliminate the need to record content.  I suppose you're thinking of situations where you might not have internet connectivity and would like to record shows in advance.

Well, my purpose for streaming is to knock a $96/month cost to $35/month. Has nothing to do with eliminating the need to record content.

However, I miss the DVR capability of satellite. Thus; am exploring some other alternative in concert with the streaming. Rumors are that DirectTV Now will have DVR capability sometime in the future.

If you have DirecTV NOW why would you need to record anything?  That's the beauty of streaming.  Everything is available when you want to watch it.  I simply don't understand why you think you need a recording capability in addition.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

39 minutes ago, docj said:

If you have DirecTV NOW why would you need to record anything?  That's the beauty of streaming.  Everything is available when you want to watch it.  I simply don't understand why you think you need a recording capability in addition.

Did not know that. Guess I am too new to this. I will have to explore and get smarter. 

As far as I know, DirecTV Now is not an on demand service. It simply allows you to watch the channels that you would normally watch using streaming instead of a dish and receiver. They do not have recording capabilities. 

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

9 hours ago, chuckbear said:

As far as I know, DirecTV Now is not an on demand service. It simply allows you to watch the channels that you would normally watch using streaming instead of a dish and receiver. They do not have recording capabilities. 

That is exactly the way mine works and the reason for my original question. It has no capability to do anything like the DVR feature off satellite.

On 3/30/2017 at 5:32 PM, Dick N said:

That is exactly the way mine works and the reason for my original question. It has no capability to do anything like the DVR feature off satellite.

I apologize; I had been reading that DirecTV Now had "thousands of on-demand" titles and I simply assumed that all the programming was on-demand.  Some channels like HBO and Showtime have been available on demand for a long time so I assume that this service provided all of them that way.  Boy was I wrong.

Oh, well, without the ability to view TV content on demand, this service is definitely of no value to me.  We hardly ever watch any shows in "real time."  I guess I'll have to keep my Trav'ler running for a few more years.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

With DirecTV Now, many of the programs are available on "on demand."  You do not have to watch them in "real time."  No live recording, current episodes and past seasons are available.You can search for the program you are looking for by title.  If you pause the episode and do not finish watching it, it will remain in your "continue watching" under the home tab, for you to continue where you left off until you remove it.  

45 minutes ago, mooseknuckles said:

With DirecTV Now, many of the programs are available on "on demand."  You do not have to watch them in "real time."  No live recording, current episodes and past seasons are available.You can search for the program you are looking for by title.  If you pause the episode and do not finish watching it, it will remain in your "continue watching" under the home tab, for you to continue where you left off until you remove it.  

Yes, that is true and that will work to a degree for some depending on their viewing content and habits. There is actually very little "on demand" satellite channel content and what there is will be a couple weeks old. For instance, as of today, the newest American Pickers episode is dated March 21. I can live with that. However; more importantly, there is no way to view a NASCAR race or any sports event on my terms. Only way to view it is as it happens. And back to my original question. Does anyone know of a way to record Direct TV Now content for viewing later?

Archived