Canada

DavePasch

Dave, I don't believe that we understand your question? There are many of us who have visited Canada more than once using our fulltimer address from a mail forwarding service. Canada only asks for a photo ID and happily accepts any US driver's license, while the US side will require a passport for your return trip. I have been through the border crossing several times and even had our RV searched on one occasion, but have never been questioned about our address, which was one from Escapee's Mail Service. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 minutes ago, DavePasch said:

What hearing is that if you don't have a street number vs pmb or po box you won't be allowed in. I understand that don't want you to move to Canada without a visa because they think everyone is leaving because of Trump. Go figure 

Really??  Are you kidding me??  If you're that concerned don't come.

There's a big difference between "visiting" Canada as a tourist, and "immigrating" to Canada to live there. The requirements for immigrating are understandably much stricter...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, DavePasch said:

What hearing is that if you don't have a street number vs pmb or po box you won't be allowed in. I understand that don't want you to move to Canada without a visa because they think everyone is leaving because of Trump. Go figure 

Hearing from whom?  Facts please, links to official Canadian government sites.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

11 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Dave, I don't believe that we understand your question? There are many of us who have visited Canada more than once using our fulltimer address from a mail forwarding service. Canada only asks for a photo ID and happily accepts any US driver's license, while the US side will require a passport for your return trip. I have been through the border crossing several times and even had our RV searched on one occasion, but have never been questioned about our address, which was one from Escapee's Mail Service. 

Passport required to enter Canada by Car for last 6-7 years. 

They may ask where you live to determine if your reason to enter matches your circumstances. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Canada started the no entrance without passport or enhanced DL/Nexus card in response to the US insistance on passports following 911 and the Patriot Act.  Canadians don't want US citizens who can't get back into their own country. 

We've never been asked about our address in Texas, only how many guns we have with us (in what seemed like a dozen different ways) along with where we are going and about how long do we intend to stay, plus the "do you have more than $10,000 in cash with you" - that question has been asked going both ways. 

In fact, I don't think we've even been asked what town we live in.  It isn't listed on our Passports.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 hours ago, DavePasch said:

You're making this up, right?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

11 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Canada started the no entrance without passport or enhanced DL/Nexus card in response to the US insistance on passports following 911 and the Patriot Act.  Canadians don't want US citizens who can't get back into their own country. 

We've never been asked about our address in Texas, only how many guns we have with us (in what seemed like a dozen different ways) along with where we are going and about how long do we intend to stay, plus the "do you have more than $10,000 in cash with you" - that question has been asked going both ways. 

In fact, I don't think we've even been asked what town we live in.  It isn't listed on our Passports.

Barb

This is the best answer to the question. The only exception would be the "Alert" level in effect  when you  cross. I would check that before you cross.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On 3/29/2017 at 6:26 AM, DavePasch said:

Any one hearing anything about entry into Canada without a permanent address? Even with a passport.

Never heard of this...I lived in a town less than 50 miles from the border. I had no physical address, the town only had PO Boxes at the Post Office. This was the 80's. 

I never had anybody look at my address while at the Canadian border. They just wanted to see the US Passport.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I don't think anyone so far has mentioned that passports don't have permanent address info on them.  You can write your address on the document for convenience, but I don't think there's ever been a requirement that you enter anything on those lines.  We've crossed the border ~10 times as full-timers and no one has ever looked at our drivers licenses.  We've been asked for passports, vehicle registration and how much booze we're carrying.   We've been asked what state we live in to which we reply South Dakota; that 's all.

This thread has all the earmarks of those internet discussions in which someone posts that he's heard from someone else who heard from his brother-in-law that something had happened relative to [border crossing, banking regulations, vehicle insurance, health insurance, etc, etc--choose one].  All too much effort gets spent every day on such unsubstantiated nonsense.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Our NY enhanced drivers licenses are looked at every time we enter or leave Canada, but that's because they also serve as our passports. The address on our licenses is for our mailing service, and that has never been an issue or even mentioned going either way.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived