First Time Owner

DVK888

Hi there. I'm so happy to have found y'all. I've finally talked the Groom of 20 yrs and freshly retired, into selling the Harleys and buying an RV. It's time. But we've never done this before and therefore need some coaching. 

At first I was thinking of getting a Class B or even C, but the more I thought about it the more I think a trailer is more practical. With the market being flooded we're going with pre-owned and I'd like to stay below 15K. We have a Tundra to pull it and although older, it's still a beast with less than 120K. I'm thinking we start small and work our way up. So nothing over 24'. 

What is your best advice for us?

What number one thing do you wish you would've done differently when choosing your first? What do you realize now is a Huge thing, that you didn't even think about prior to owning it? 

I know for sure I want a bed that I can access from both sides with some small ledge for our things on each side. That's a must.

Thanks so much everyone for any and all words of wisdom. I appreciate it very much!

Welcome!  I joined last year so I'm new here also.  But we have been camping/rv-ing off and on for many years.

We wanted a walk around bed too.  We had a camper and a boat with bunks that were not that way.  The camper we are selling now ( hint hint ) ;) has just that.

i like having a refrigerator, we never had one before.  But we still use a cooler, it's convenient for drinks and nice to have on the picnic table.

i wish the hot water tank was larger.

Dumping the black water is inconvenient to say the least.  True of any RV.  It's better than the woods.  

I never thought twice about a roll up awning until we got a camper that has one.  We love it.  Don't leave it up and go riding for the day, always stow it before leaving for more than an hour.  They are expensive to have replaced from wind damage.

Get extras of linens and even rain gear and an extra hat, maybe cosmetics definitely dishes.  Don't try to load and unload everything, every trip.  Doesn't apply for food.  Seems obvious but it wasn't for us at first.

i wish I knew how full the propane tanks are.  I never can tell for sure.

Just random thoughts on my first coffee this morning. I hope it helps.

Kevin

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you here and will do all we are able to help you. Thank you for choosing us and we will do our best to live up to your belief in us.

Like several others on these forums, we have owned RV's of various types for more than 40 years and have seen many changes in both the RV's and the people who use them. It has been an interesting trip with far more good experiences than bad so we expect to continue this lifestyle for as long as we are able. 

My first advice is that you take lots of time in looking at all of the different types of RV available and in what each one has to offer you as well as what the different types cost. There is a very wide range in price for every type available and there are good reasons for that. The type of construction and the quality of the interior vary just as much as do the prices. As you examine the different RV's available, look closely also at the weights of each one and you will soon see that higher quality RVs will weigh far more than do the less costly and more cheaply constructed ones. Just how much you should spend to get the RV you seek is largely an issue of how you will use it. The person who only spends a few weeks per year might have difficulty justifying the cost of a similar RV of top quality, but if you plan to live in this RV for many months at a time, or to make it your only home, going with the lower price unit could spell disaster since they are not designed for constant use and may fall apart on you very quickly. It is very important that you learn as much as possible about RV construction before you choose to buy an RV. You also need to understand that even the best quality RV which has been neglected or abused may not survive long term use and so might be a disaster just looking to find a place to happen. As an RV gets older, the importance of care and maintenance in it's history becomes more and more important and soon outweighs the importance of who made it. I suggest that you consider joining the RV Consumer Group to take advantage of the educational materials that they supply to the new buyer of an RV.

8 hours ago, DVK888 said:

What number one thing do you wish you would've done differently when choosing your first? What do you realize now is a Huge thing, that you didn't even think about prior to owning it? 

I would say that probably would be to have spent time meeting and listening to those who had owned RV's for many years and to spend a lot more time in looking before we bought our first one. We should have left our checkbook at home and just looked for at least a month to avoid some crafty salesperson rushing us into a purchase. Remember that no matter what that salesperson says, there is another RV out there which is just as good or better than whatever it is he is attempting to push you into. Never put full faith in any sales person as it is his job to make a sale and not to take care of you.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Most trailer have propane tanks mounted on the front and are equipped with an automatic switch over   valve  . You only feed out of one tank , when it empties the regulator will switch to the full tank . Usually an indicator on regulator will tell you it is time to remove the empty tank and refill . Dry camping my thirty pound tank will last 20 to 25 days , When the indicator sez one is empty  I remove the empty and I have many days to refill !

The thing we didn't realize was the importance of the size of the holding tanks. A 10 gallon black tank is NOT adequate for 2 adults full time.

Also aisle space can be challenging in small units. If one of you always has to sit down for the other to move that gets old fast, "What do you mean I can't use the toilet until you are done cooking?!"

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I enjoy baths, but was told it would take up precious space. I have 3 small dogs and they kennel at night

Since its our first one, I don't want anything over around 24ft. We've never pulled a trailer before so this is a bit intimidating. At the same time I don't want to be so cramped we're always on top of one another. That's where slide-outs come in. So much to consider. 

Welcome to the forum. The advice I give frequently is to figure out your "mission profile" BEFORE you start looking at any recreational vehicles. How many people (adults, children), pets, any health or mobility issues, how long will you stay in one place, etc.? You may start out thinking that a particular type of coach is or is not what you want, but don't fall for that. Once you know HOW you will use your coach you can better find a coach that will actually suit you.

Generally, unless you are opposed to slides, nearly everything you will find is going to have at least one slide. Be aware, though, that slides are near the top of the list of problem spots. As for space utilization, I'd suggest that you spend some time looking at every coach you can, not matter the type, price, or condition. Especially if you are thinking about full-timing, finding something that really fits is much more important that staying under a particular length.

Weight, though, is another issue. Search here for information on how to figure out how much weight your truck and actually handle safely. That will determine what sort of trailer you can safely tow. You may well decide that a different truck will suit your needs better. You may also decide that a motor home is the best choice for you, and then you will need to figure out whether your current vehicle can be towed.

Lots of questions for you to think about, and each question will raise six more, but eventually you will start to figure out what you really need. Don't rush into buying something just because it looks nice and you can afford it. Buy what fits you and you will be a lot happier.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Before we bought, we decided on some non-negotiables.  We're sisters and haven't shared a bed since we were little kids.  We had to have two beds.  We live in TX, so we had to have an air conditioner.  Decide what your non-negotiables are, and find an RV with those.  We offer other suggestions at  https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=fDRSAJUN_VA

On 3/29/2017 at 0:41 AM, DVK888 said:

What is your best advice for us?

I wish that someone had told me that no matter what some salesman tells me, a half-ton won't pull it.  Forget about brochure numbers, the only numbers that matter come from a scale.

John, Jean and (the late) Molly & Mea (the puppy) Springer Spaniels
2016 F250 CCSB w/Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2014 Shasta Phoenix 27RL XLT
BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.com

Well as for as the size, we have an 07 Tundra with 110K miles on it. I was thinking 24'. I've seen several mentions of problems with slide-outs. Do they always cause problems and is there any way to lessen the chance of that?

I've looked at many sites and I'm impressed by the ones that certify their units and offer service after the sale as well. I think I'd feel more comfortable going this route. I may pay a bit more, but the comfort of knowing we're covered is assuring. 

What is the downside to going with the ultralight ones?

21 minutes ago, DVK888 said:

Well as for as the size, we have an 07 Tundra with 110K miles on it

That isn't enough information for us to say what you can safely and comfortably tow. The configuration of the truck is an important part since it could have either a V-6 or a V-8 engine. The small engine model is listed as towing up to 7,700# while the V-8 can be configured to tow up to 10100#.

34 minutes ago, DVK888 said:

I was thinking 24'.

The issue isn't the length of the trailer but how much it weighs when fully loaded, or it gross vehicle weight rating(GVWR). Trailers of the same size and length can vary in weight over several thousand pounds, due to the types of construction and materials used. In general, the higher quality RVs will weigh more than the cheaper, lighter built ones do. While length is a factor in the handling issue, it is only one of many. Every RV has a label somewhere inside that states the unit's GVWR, axle weight rating, and several other items. You must check those and understand what they mean if you are to be sure that you are buying something that is safe to two behind the Tundra and you also need to find out what the ratings of the one that you have are. Just because the truck you have is capable of pulling a trailer over the highways, that doesn't mean that it will safely stop the combination in an emergency, control it as you come down a very steep mountain grade, or control it in poor road conditions. 

45 minutes ago, DVK888 said:

I've seen several mentions of problems with slide-outs. Do they always cause problems and is there any way to lessen the chance of that?

Every time that you add a new feature to an RV there is the potential of problems with it. Slide-outs have been around now for 20 years and most of the major problems have been solved. But things still wear out and sometimes break and they still need to have some maintenance. There is nothing on a modern RV that can be said to never fail, but if you buy a quality RV which if used has been well cared for and given proper maintenance, there is no reason to expect any major issues with a slide-out. Of course, the addition of a slide also increases the total weight of the RV because of the extra structural materials and mechanical parts required to operate it. Like most innovations, they can be wonderful or they can be a nightmare, depending upon quality and maintenance.

50 minutes ago, DVK888 said:

I've looked at many sites and I'm impressed by the ones that certify their units and offer service after the sale as well.

If by this you mean that they warranty the unit after sold, new RV's typically come with a 1-year warranty on the RV and sometimes longer on the appliances by the appliance manufacturer. Some RV manufacturers have a 2-year warranty but not many. Used RVs occasionally are warranted for a short time by the selling dealer, but seldom for longer than 30 days and even that isn't usual.  There are "extended warranties" available for an additional cost on RVs both new and used which can help to mitigate any repair costs in the future, but you do need to shop carefully for them. Here is a link to an article on that subject

56 minutes ago, DVK888 said:

What is the downside to going with the ultralight ones?

I currently own and travel in an ultra-light travel trailer and I sure would not try to live in it as my only home. It isn't possible to build an RV which is both very light in weight and very high in quality for a price that the public would pay, so the result is that they use materials which are both lighter in weight and cheaper to use. That means things like an aluminum frame of the lightest possible weight for the size RV, as little insulation as can be managed for moderate comfort, the lightest weight windows, meaning light-weight aluminum frames with thin glass (no double pane windows at all), the thinest plywood available for cabinets and walls with minimum framework inside, plastic pans for drawers, rather than wood, and a very long list of other similar items. We are satisfied with our travel trailer because we knew what we were buying, but I would never consider any ultralight or even light weight travel trailer for full-time living.

Let me suggest that you might be very wise to consider spending a little bit of money and get a membership in the RV Consumer Group and take advantage of the educational materials that they will provide you. It could save you from making some very bad mistakes.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you for such detailed information. The Tundra we have is an 8cylinder. Because neither of us has ever pulled a trailer I'm getting all the info I can. I am taking your advice and joining the RV Consumer Group.

• 3 weeks later...

My best advice, if you haven't already done so, is to rent several different RVs for one-week vacations. Make note of what you love and hate about driving, floor plan, etc. There are books on Amazon that offer lots of good advice on how to find a good rental.

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

Archived