MaxxAir Vent cover Noise

ms60ocb

I have two MaxxAir Fanmate Ceiling vent covers  that are noisy when the wind comes over the rear of the RV. These are the type that have 4 clips that hold them in place.

Has anyone had this problem and eliminated the noise.. I brought Fifth Wheel new so most likely the factory installed some extra caulk between the roof and the vent cover to rest on when installed. Well the has been wore/hammered down.

Since someones work did not work long , I'm thinking taking a tube of Silicone and apply at the clip area, some windless day or when the wind comes over the front

.http://www.airxcel.com/docs/default-source/maxxair/covers/10b50104-maxxair-i-instruction-sheet-rev-b-12-2015.pdf?sfvrsn=10

Any ideas?

Clay     2016 DRV MS 38PS3

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by noisy related to the vent covers.  Do they whistle or something?

Regardless, don't use silicon.  You need to use Dicor around the vent.  Silicon is not compatible with your rubber roof and will not adhere properly to it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

14 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by noisy related to the vent covers.  Do they whistle or something?

Chatter or rattling as it vibrates.

My intention was putting silicone on the clip attachment area which is above the floor. That is where the attachment is loose Both the Metal and plastic appears worn.

See the FanMate

http://www.airxcel.com/docs/default-source/maxxair/covers/10b50104-maxxair-i-instruction-sheet-rev-b-12-2015.pdf?sfvrsn=10

How old is the FanMate? Not familiar with that one, just the MaxxAirs.  If the plastic is wearing, then at some point you will probably lose the cover; if the clip is worn, call them and ask for new clips.  Outside of this, seems full replacement is next.   This is first time hearing of one of their vents making noise unless it is the vent itself vibrating.

I can't tell you how old the MaxxAir FanMate actually is but the 2016 DRV MS38PS3 was on the Factory Floor Oct 2015 and Finishing after painting Nov 2015. I picked the unit up Dec 8, 2015 in Knoxville.

The pins do not appear worn and the plastic is hard to judge but appears to have some but I have nothing to compare to. The metal mount holes seem large like maybe punched to large which DRV does like in the front of the RV for Clearance lights to slip in & out but lots Silicone seems to solve that problem. I plan to replace the FanMate for travel and maybe park next time where the wind is not at my back side LOL.

Clay

We have two of the MaxxAir Fans in our MS and have the MAXXAIR II covers over both of them. We have had many days with pretty good winds from all different directions and never had any noise from ours. I have opened our covers a couple of times to clean things out and the pins go back in tight when putting them back. 

2017 Chevy 3500 C/C D/A 4X4 DRW LWB

2017 Chevy 1500 C/C
2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

We get a bit of rattling noise when the winds are astern - but the winds have to be in the 35 - 40 MPH range for it to be significant. We don't worry about it.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I would never use silicone, there is a reason it''s the cheapest form of caulking, and in most cases not the best product to use on an RV.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived