SOLD Hello Oldtimers - Time to sell the Volvo

grizfish

Originally started posting here in 2003 and bought a 2000 Volvo 610 early 2004.  Set it up to pull our horse trailer and enjoyed driving it for about 10 years and 20K miles.

Planned to add a 5th wheel hitch for traveling without the horses, but never got there.  Still starting it up once a month, but haven't used it in several years.

Time to sell. Have a post up in the For Sale Section.

Stop starting it unless someone is looking at it  and plans to drive it. In my opinion the worst thing for an engine is to start it and not bring it to full operating temperature. My truck was parked in October and won't be started until the end of  the month when I head back to the midwest. It will get at least 1000 miles over a couple days. It get's more use during the summer, but never just started and run in place. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Each to their own.  There are electronic drains on the batteries that will run them down.  I have owned this Volvo for over 13 years and have always started it and let it run at 1000 or 1100 RPM until warmed up to operating temperature, every month, when it sits for extended periods of time.  Usually at least 35 minutes, except when it gets cold here in SoCal and down to 40 degrees F.  It still runs great and I don't need to use a battery charger, except when the batteries die, which is usually about 4 to 5 years.

Proof is in the pudding.

So, Lappir, since you go 6 or 8 months without starting your vehicle, do you find your seals drying out and needing replacement?  Also, do your batteries actually hold enough charge to start a 12.7 Liter Diesel, or do you need to hook up a charger and degrade the battery life?

PS  Do you always begin a conversation with a stranger by telling them to do things?  You sound like a real pleasure to be around.

Grizfish i would like to look at your truck. I think I may just be around the corner from you. I'm In Santa Clarita, CA I think i see the a Accurate hitch sticker on the gooskneck hitch.  I'm going to send you a message with my phone # if you would like to call me.

national rally 2021.jpg

• grizfish changed the title to SOLD Hello Oldtimers - Time to sell the Volvo

Archived