Toy haulers?

runaway parents

I had that same question a couple of years ago.  We decided to go with a used unit to get the features we wanted without breaking the bank.  With the help of this forum, we narrowed it down to  Newmar X-Aire and another out of production model, which escapes me.  We now have a 2008 X-Air and like it.  Garage is 14', plenty for 3-4 motorcycles or a small car.

Op4XRtcl.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Here's a link to the brochure.  I can't answer that question for sure, but it may be here:

https://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2008xafwbrochure.pdf

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Space Craft made one for Rod1. I forget what type of car he hauls. There is more than just weight to worry about, length of garage, approach angle, height, width, tie down locations, how to get out of the car if you cannot open the door due to width, etc...

We have one of the cargo type car haulers but we carry a 6000# vehicle in the back. Very hard to find something to carry it.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Our Weekend Warrior, a 2007 Cr-3905, will haul a Jeep Wrangler.

A lot of the bigger Toyhaulers will take a 3,000 pound vehicle.

Some folks get led astray thinking that they are limited to 1,500 to 2,000 pounds, because of the ramp door, however you are only going to have one axle on the middle of the ramp at a time.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

3 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

Our Weekend Warrior, a 2007 Cr-3905, will haul a Jeep Wrangler.

A lot of the bigger Toyhaulers will take a 3,000 pound vehicle.

Some folks get led astray thinking that they are limited to 1,500 to 2,000 pounds, because of the ramp door, however you are only going to have one axle on the middle of the ramp at a time.

yep one axle at a time

The production toyhauler thing is divided into 2 groups. It is either a cargo/race trailer that happens to have a relatively spartan place to eat and sleep, minimum if any insulation but cargo capacity that is significant. Or, you can have a 5th wheel RV that has all the amenities and happens to have a little open area in the back referred to as the "garage" with minimum hauling capacity. 

The industry has not decided to bridge the gap between the 2 except on a custom basis, like Spacecraft, which would require a larger(MDT/HDT) tow vehicle. The larger the tow vehicle required, the less choices there are out there. I understand. They have a certain price point, and it is a zero sum game. More amenities means less cargo capacity, especially something like 2500 to 3000 lbs( about the minimum weight of a car except for a Smart)  at the rear of the vehicle. Their marketing people have told them they aren't going to sell at all unless the wife is on board, and they think that fancy interiors does that. i don't agree, but that seems to be the case. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I have a 2013 Keystone Fuzion 35 foot per Keystone and a 11foot garage. I put our Smart car in it. Ramp and Garage rated for 2500 lbs. 

Correction 38 foot not 35!

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

23 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Unless it's a Smart..... then the whole car fits On the Door!

The important part is the center of the span, that is where the weight limit is concerned.  Last time I checked, the smart car may be short, but not that short.  That is why I said one axle in the middle of the door at a time.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Keep in mind that the rated garage capacity includes EVERYTHING in the garage.  And I have yet to see anybody that ONLY keeps the vehicle in the garage.  All the junk that inevitably collects in that nice big storage space counts toward the garage capacity.  Tie downs, tools, that big ladder you hung on the wall, the cabinet you added full of oil and shop supplies, the wife's vacuum cleaner, cases of drinks, you get the idea.  Going for the winter?, sure we can pack all the extra luggage and supplies around the car.  So don't plan on a 2500# car in a 2500# rated garage in the real world.

Runaway Parents, The Fullhouse by DRV (Mobile Suites) has a ramp rated at 3,000 labs and the ZX350 has a 13 1/2 foot garage.  They have others with shorter garage spaces and different floor plans.  The thing I really like about them is that they have 8,000 lb. More-Ryde axles with a 24,000lb GVWR compared to the usual of between 18-20,000 on most. They are not Spacecraft expensive, but are more expensive than the run of the mill toyboxes on the market today - they are after all, a Mobile Suite!  For the best prices I have found on DRV products you can contact Jeff at Castle Country RV in Utah - (801) 360-7829.  Good luck in your search!

Rolling Retreats will pretty much beat any price on a DRV product and they specialize in special orders.  I highly recommend you talk to Alicia there if you are even thinking about going the DRV route.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Howdy All,

I carry the Smart Car and motorcycle with a sidecar in the 18 foot long garage of my toy hauler.  The toy hauler is a Voltage 3818, had it for coming up on three years now, comfortable to live in and room enough for my toys.

DSCF3076-L.jpg

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Good info guys thanks have decisions to make build a bed  buy welder and equipment to build it or put the money into a trailer that can haul a small car. Might tic off a few neighbor's if I start up a welding project that big in the driveway in front of our house, Haven't had any complaints with the truck parked out there but I don't want to push my luck. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, maveric said:

Custom might be your best bet.

If he is looking for 2,000 pounds and most commercially produced Toy Haulers are rated at 3,000 pounds and the doors are rated at 2,000 pounds, why would a custom Toy Hauler be his best bet?

Inquiring minds want to know......

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into this, but just can't stand it.  It's easy to find a T/H that, by the numbers, ought to be perfect for hauling toys (har har).  But on another thread on this forum, folks are talking about hauling 3-4-5 motorcycles, a side-by-side, the Smart, some whiz-bang bicycle behind the sleeper, and on and on.

We have a 395AMP Thunderbolt toyhauler with a 14' garage in a 44' trailer. The ramp door is rated for 3000 lbs, but I can tell you that if you exercise that door at that weight level very much, while it may not break, it WILL delaminate. And then it will break.  More that that, the trailer is likely not rated for that amount of weight. Most  are rated for between 3250 and 4000 lbs over dry curb weight.

So, can you load a Smart? Yep, no issues, but try not to stop and put a 2000# static load on the door/ramp. We carry a CanAm Spyder 3 wheeler (1150#) and a Harley Davidson Street Glide (900#) with the Smart behind the sleeper.  With the manufacturer's poor axle placement, weight on the front axle and kingpin is somewhat under the expected load.

The 3-4-5 motorcycle loads talked about elsewhere on this thread are based on dual purpose bikes, dirt bikes, and dueling handlebars.

If you really want to know if it will work, ask a specific question.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

21 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

If he is looking for 2,000 pounds and most commercially produced Toy Haulers are rated at 3,000 pounds and the doors are rated at 2,000 pounds, why would a custom Toy Hauler be his best bet?

Inquiring minds want to know......

IMO, most manufactured toy haulers are not designed to haul a vehicle. Some reasons stated above.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Archived