Good Advice for Newly Purchased Class C-Inspection

Julie

Just pulled the trigger on a 2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290s. This will be our first Class C. We have owned two TT during the past 12 years(both used), a 29 Ft Terry, and a 25 Ft Outback 25RSS. We are looking forward to jumping in the rig and hitting the road without the hassle of hooking up. Being new to the Class C world and to purchasing new from a dealer, I want to make sure I hit all the important pre drive-a-way inspection items to hopefully avoid being right back into a dealer with QC related items, especially since we did not purchase locally due to the cost and expect to get resistance from the local service center. Any advice advanced RVer's can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you are asking how to find all the warranty problems before you drive away from the dealer.  I don't know if that is possible.

I don't  know how far you are from home or how much time you have, but I would certainly spend the first night in a full-hookup site less than an hour from the dealer.  That way, you can try systems out and take it back the next day to get anything fixed. 

If you don't want to go back to the dealer with warranty items, how are you going to get them fixed?  I can assure you that you will have some and that they won't all be apparent until after you spend a night or more in your unit.  Things will fall off, cracks will appear, etc. 

If you have the time, stay near the dealer for awhile. I would move from one local campground to another to experience different setups and take downs and various road surfaces and back-ins to campsites. But, as mentioned above you're still not likely to find all warranty problems right away. We made arrangements to be near the factory several months into our first trip in our Winnebago View to get any warranty repairs done then. That worked well.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

First let me welcome you to the Escapee forums! We are happy that you have joined us and we will do our best to help and support you.

I suggest that you take many notes when the dealer does the walk-through and be sure that they actually operate everything to demonstrate that it really works. Warranty issues have a way of waiting for you to leave before they appear, so spending some time in the RV near to your dealer is a good process if at all possible. But it isn't possible for anyone to be certain that no problems will develop after a time so just be careful and make notes when things do go wrong. The chassis manufacturer will be responsible for any warranty issues with that park as very few RV dealers are warranty certified for the chassis. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

While being shown EVERYTHING on the coach, take notes on look/fit/operation and stop the presenter when you have a question while it is fresh in your mind. Write it down, do not rely on mental notes as they are sure to get jumbled will all the new you are about to discover. The pre-delivery inspection is your opportunity to correct things that appear wrong, learn things you may not have known, and uncover things tucked away or hidden. If your presenter says he/she doesn't know about something that is not necessarily a bad thing, just be sure to hold him/her to finding out (take more notes!)

Some people go from one end to the other, outside to in or vice versa. Other go from system to system. Pick which one you are most comfortable with (or accept the presenter's method) and once you do, do not succumb to the shiney; stick with it and, did I already mention it? TAKE NOTES!

Don't be surprised of some bobbles or glitches, they are bound to happen but the more detailed you are during pre-delivery, the better you'll be - in getting set up and in your own knowledge of your new rig.

Once you have taken delivery - TAKE NOTES. 

Enjoy and safe travels to you.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Even better, video the walk through.  Whether on your phone or a video camera, get it on tape so you can go back later and review/watch/follow directions as you are doing it.    I did that when we purchased ours and the first year out went back over that tape time and time again.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived