Major hurdle crossed...

Av8r3400

The DW was looking at the HDT Rally website (on her own laptop!) this evening and asking questions about photos of different trucks.

She's more than coming around to the idea now...

At first it was "What the h@ll do we need a truck that big for??"  Then it became "How am I supposed to drive and double clutch one of those?"  Now we're getting to "This one looks pretty cool, what is it..."

Yep.  She's come over to the dark side.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

When I first told my wife that I was thinking of switching from a F-350 Crew Cab Dually to a Volvo 780, to pull our Toyhauler, she asked to see what a 780 looked like.  When I showed her one on the highway, she said "That seems like overkill"

When I told her that they were air ride, she said "still seems like overkill"

When I told her we could have a refer, microwave and porta-pottie going down the road, she said "sorry, it still seems like overkill"

When I told her that she would be able to lay in the sleeper while we traveled down the road, watching satellite tv or videos, or take a nap, she said "Can we get one to match our Toyhauler?"   Lol

it can sometimes be a matter of painting the correct mental picture.....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I have a 2014 Volvo 630 and a 2000 Ford F350 SRW power stroke. My wife says she likes WAY more to ride in the Volvo. Quieter and more visibility. A lot smoother than our previous  2005 MDT Freightliner.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

I should add that my wife is amazed at how much she loves traveling in our 780 and she absolutely loved traveling in the F-350.

And for her the comparison even includes the experience of traveling in a motorhome we had for a couple years.

For me, after owning several trucks, the 780 is the nicest riding truck I have owned.  Though to be fair that is not a fair comparison.  My first truck was a Mack Cabover with rubber pad suspension and a short wheelbase....

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

I told my wife when we were looking to upgrade that it was a safety issue and cost savings. Our truck could pull the trailer but stopping it safely would be the major issue. We discussed MDTs and she said that they were not worth it due to cost, size of interior, amenities, etc. Now she is looking forward to driving!!!

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

12 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

The DW was looking at the HDT Rally website (on her own laptop!) this evening and asking questions about photos of different trucks.

She's more than coming around to the idea now...

At first it was "What the h@ll do we need a truck that big for??"  Then it became "How am I supposed to drive and double clutch one of those?"  Now we're getting to "This one looks pretty cool, what is it..."

Yep.  She's come over to the dark side.

So, which rally are y'all gonna Av8 to?

Hutchinson has a nice restaurant at the airport. Bring a tent, and I'm sure someone would pick you up and bring y'all to the rally. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Scheduling wise we missed our window for the ECR.  Can't swing it with that damn day job getting in the way.

Maybe with a little luck we can attend the National in October with the camper and a new project.  

I finished building my plane a year ago, so I'm in need of another project...

58d8026b0fd65_MangyatOSH.jpg.bacba590c9d1d7894a1bb039d9d8347d.jpg

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

About 6 months prior to the 2015 Tampa RV show I came across information about using a HDT to haul a 5ver, it took me less than a week of research to realize that for me it was the way to go. I tried explaining the pros and cons to my better half but for the most parts I just saw glassed over eyes and a "Why do we need that question". Then at the 2015 RV show she got to sit in one, I was in the drivers seat, she was in the passenger seat and within 2 minutes of her looking around she looked at me and said "We need one of these". True story, that sold her more that anything I could have said. It also didn't hurt to have 3 expert guys there well versed in the pros and cons of these trucks. Since then we haven't even thought about other options. Unfortunately we are still a few years away, but dream of the day.

So even though I'm no expert and don't actually have an HDT, if she hasn't already get her to sit in one. 

Me and Mine are going to our first rally (ECR) at the end or April, can't wait.

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA (Moving in 4/29)
2020 Volvo 860 (Hopefully on the Production Line)
2016 Smart Prime Coupe “Phase One”

There's an airport a couple of miles from the RV park in Caldwell, ID.  Just saying, why wait until October.  The WCR is coming in June. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Homedale ID is the home of Kitfox Aircraft (my plane make).  Just up the road from Caldwell.  I will be out there late this summer (late Aug - early Sept) for their semi-annual fly-in.

Swing and a miss...  :(

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

5 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Homedale ID is the home of Kitfox Aircraft (my plane make).  Just up the road from Caldwell.  I will be out there late this summer (late Aug - early Sept) for their semi-annual fly-in.

Swing and a miss...  :(

Sounds like someone has some messed up priorities.....B)

Just sayin....

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Archived