Instruction or White Knuckle?

Nomad Hiker

Well, as some of you know, but may not remember, Jim and I will be taking off on our first ever RV adventure on 4/24.  Welll, actually we pick up the RV on 4/3 and will do a shake-down trip only a few miles from the dealership.  We have never rented, stayed in, or owned an RV.  We are going fairly big, 39 feet/3 slides/13' 3" tall.  The truck is about 20 ' long.  We just picked up our new truck yesterday.  Ford F-350 Lariat.  We named it BART, an acronym that describes it.  It's red, it's big, it's a truck...I'll let you figure out the "A".

Now, the question...I know there is RV driving training.  Is it worth it or should we just white knuckle it and figure it out?  If any of you took the course, let me know what you thought.  They will spend the day with us.  Driving, best mirror adjustment, backing up, lane changing etc.. Any input will be appreciated. 

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I avoided any sort of training and went directly to fulltime RV living.  We did not even have a trial run. 

That said, I read everything I could find on the internet and I did it for months while waiting for our house to sell.  During the house selling time, the RV sat in the driveway.  I went over every item, nock and cranky.  I even replaced the fridge myself, had a battery upgrade and had another solar panel added.  I researched using my phone as a hot spot, signal boosters, and rebuilt the storage and all the details of living on the road.  You are just starting out with a local trip.  You should have no issues except for maneuvering the RV.  You might even end up with a drive through camping area and not even need to backup.  Just take it slow and easy.  You should be just fine and will get the hang of an RV sooner than you think.  Millions of knuckleheads have gone before you and virtually everyone adapts. 

When we got our motorhome the sales person took us on a secondary road and directed us up a mountain road.  We took turns driving and right away he noticed we both were oversteering on the curves. He said to loosen our grip and lightly steer and sure enough, it followed effortlessly. By the time we returned we really did feel that we could handle it just fine.  Probably not the best short lesson as we think of it now but it did give us confidence in driving in our beloved mountains.  I will say we previously towed a 5th wheel giving us a little more experience on a big rig.

For you, with absolutely no RVing experience and since it seems you have an instructor available, I would recommend that you 'both' take the lessons.  If only one of you takes the lessons it could be an issue. If you both take lessons and both of you know how you were taught, there shouldn't be any disagreements on not doing it the right way.  Plus, sitting in the driver's seat and the passenger's seat is a completely different feeling of control or lack of!  Best of luck in your new lifestyle, with the motorhome and BART.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 hours ago, Nomad Hiker said:

...We are going fairly big, 39 feet/3 slides/13' 3" tall...Ford F-350 Lariat...

I am guessing that this is a truck/5th wheel combination not a MH towing a F-350. If you have never towed any type of trailer and decide to learn on your own, I would suggest starting by practicing hooking up in the driveway. I would also suggest finding a large empty parking lot where you can practice making turns and backing up. Pay particular attention to how the trailer tracks on right turns as a mistake on a city street may damage the coach on a sign, tree or utility pole or ruin a tire on a curb. You  can likely find instruction videos on the web. Even if you choose to take lessons, it takes practice to get use to driving and backing a trailer.

If you haven't driven a 1 ton truck before, that's where I'd start.  Use it as your daily driver.  Start enjoying the walk from parking at the far end of most parking lots, make turns in and out of places, get comfortable backing into parking spots just for practice, change lanes, etc.  Start judging distance and use your mirrors.  Feeling comfortable in the truck will go a long ways when you have a 40' heavy trailer tagging along.   If you have a state park or similar area near by, take a drive out there and make the corners, back into a spot or two, notice the trees, where the branches are, where rocks are placed, etc.  All that experience will help you down the road.

The driving school sounds like a good investment.  Being a confident driver will lower the stress level a lot.

Good luck and enjoy the new adventure!

5 hours ago, dirtyboots said:

The driving school sounds like a good investment.  Being a confident driver will lower the stress level a lot.

I was on the fence about your question until I read some replies.  Get the practice training, that way you get quickly past the first impression and right into the part where you've done it before.  Therefore you cut short the white knuckle stress.  With some folks that worry could make it harder to pack up and drive to the next destination.  Not worth it.

It comes naturally to me, to swing wide on a turn, and to use my SIDE mirrors and not rear view mirror.  (Because I have been doing it for so long)  But everyone is different.  It will take my DW long hours of practice, and I wonder if she ever will get the hang of it.  I think someone besides me as the instructor would help a lot.

Best of luck and have fun on your travels. Kevin.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I am on the side of driving lessons also. We have a 39' towed by a Volvo. Total length 64'. Going to a two month truck driving school was the best investment I made. In addition to the comfort level you will save the cost of repairs to truck and RV for on the job learning. Did I mention less stress!!! Have fun.

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

We are going fairly big, 39 feet/3 slides/13' 3" tall.  The truck is about 20 ' long.  We just picked up our new truck yesterday.  Ford F-350 Lariat.  

It is really difficult for someone sitting at the other end of the internet to know how to answer your question.There are two parts to this question, one is driving it and the second part is using it. While there is much to learn in it's use, the driving part could be either a breeze or a disaster

Most of the RV driving courses do not come to you so even if you do attend one you will have to get the rig to the school location, somehow. The learning curve involved will depend upon things like your ability to judge distances, to project the tail swing of your trailer (the arc of the rear bumper when the front pivots on the axles in a turn), to judge stopping distances, and a host of other judgment abilities that go with your driving skills to determine the success you will have. If you have no previous experience in pulling a trailer at all, then I strongly suggest that you go out and either borrow or rent a small to medium size, flat trailer that you can see over the bed of and tow it a little and also take it to a parking lot and back it some. A very small trailer is easier to tow but more difficult to back then a longer one. While there will be a significant difference in the fifth wheel from one of these, it will at least give you some towing experience. Backing will be the most difference so don't spend a lot of time on that part but just a little bit may be helpful. The majority of people who do as you are, do so pretty successfully, but there are risks involved so be careful and do everything slowly. Never back without a ground guide that you trust. You need radios or some other means of communication between driver and guide. Always use directions like "driver's side" and "passenger side" and never right or left. Always use the same terms and signals and please do be very patient with each other! Many a fight has begun between couples due to communication issues in backing or parking an RV. The guied must not only anticipate where the trailer and truck will travle but must also watch above for things like tree limbs and other obstructions.

About the only advice on the use of the RV which I have is that you read very carefully each of the many manuals that will come with your RV. If you have not done so, it would also be wise to get an RVing book or two and read those as well. There is a great deal of written material about the use and operation of RV's and their appliances so you should have little problem there if you read and follow directions carefully. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

This is where I'm going to upset many folks. :unsure: Why is that anyone wishing to drive a 'big rig' for money has to get the appropriate CDL yet anyone with the money can buy a large RV and hit the road with zero driving experience?

Call me mean. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like. Just don't drive anywhere near me while your are learning. It's simply irresponsible to hit the road without any sort of lessons or experience. When you are in a 45mph zone and the lights turn red how will you manage the braking? When you find yourself up a narrow country road, and you will, how are you going to pass vehicles and turn around? What about that righthand turn at the lights in a small country town?

Anyway don't many states require class driving licenses for larger rigs?

Sorry to be mean. But you aren't the only other road users. Please consider them as well.

regards

I have to say, if you have never driven anything that big, you need to get some training for both driving and backing.  All too often, we see folks pull in and they cut corners and damage the property or the rig.  So for your safety and the safety of others, please get some training.

That my 2 cents worth of advice....and I'm sticking to it.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Drive training is a really,really good idea.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

14 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

.  We took turns driving and right away he noticed we both were oversteering on the curves.

What do you mean by "oversteering"?  I know what I think it means, but please clarify.

12 hours ago, dirtyboots said:

If you haven't driven a 1 ton truck before, that's where I'd start.  Use it as your daily driver. 

We have had trucks before, but not a BART.  Yes, we are driving it for our daily use and watching it suck down the diesel! We don't have anything else at this point to drive as we have sold everything else!  I'm very glad we have an opportunity to get used to it before getting the 5er!  Being a short gal, I've always had cars with all the bells/whistles and I've gotten used to using mirror/blindspot indicators, backing sensors etc.  My only requirement for BART was it have the bells and whistles to which I've grown accustomed.  I know that when we put the 5er on it, then the game changes!   I've not had any trouble so far driving BART, but I'm cautious.  I intentionally took it into a small parking lot and managed to back it into a space and get out.  Not saying I'll ever do that again though...the back 40 works great for me! Haha!  

5 hours ago, genecolleen said:

I am on the side of driving lessons also. We have a 39' towed by a Volvo. Total length 64'. Going to a two month truck driving school was the best investment I made. In addition to the comfort level you will save the cost of repairs to truck and RV for on the job learning. Did I mention less stress!!! Have fun.

Unfortunately, we don't have 2 months to go to truck driving school.  Never thought of that or I certainly would have entertained it!  This will be a "crash" course.  No, not a course on crashing - I HOPE! :)

4 hours ago, bruce t said:

This is where I'm going to upset many folks. :unsure: Why is that anyone wishing to drive a 'big rig' for money has to get the appropriate CDL yet anyone with the money can buy a large RV and hit the road with zero driving experience?

Call me mean. Call me crazy. Call me anything you like. Just don't drive anywhere near me while your are learning. It's simply irresponsible to hit the road without any sort of lessons or experience. When you are in a 45mph zone and the lights turn red how will you manage the braking? When you find yourself up a narrow country road, and you will, how are you going to pass vehicles and turn around? What about that righthand turn at the lights in a small country town?

Sorry to be mean. But you aren't the only other road users. Please consider them as well.

regards

Hey, Mr. Mean & Crazy!  That's a weird name, but ok.   I agree to the extent that it depends on your experience with towing anything at all (farm stuff etc) :)  I had wondered the same myself about why it isn't required, but it's not.  I know just getting in a 1 ton truck after several years of not owning a truck was interesting. I even want to STAY AWAY FROM MYSELF on the road until we learn how to pull the 5th wheel, but that isn't possible.  We bought the 5er in AZ and have to get it back to CA after our little shakedown trip so just warning you...we will be camping in the phoenix area 4/3-4/6 then be headed back to CA...Once we get it here, there is an instruction school that does come to us and do the instruction (one day).  We will both participate. We looked for somewhere in the Phoenix area for training, but it doesn't exist!  We had hoped to have them meet us at the dealership. 

Happy Trails,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

10 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I would also suggest finding a large empty parking lot where you can practice making turns and backing up. Pay particular attention to how the trailer tracks on right turns as a mistake on a city street may damage the coach on a sign, tree or utility pole or ruin a tire on a curb. You  can likely find instruction videos on the web. Even if you choose to take lessons, it takes practice to get use to driving and backing a trailer.

Will look for instruction videos right away!

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

4 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

If you have no previous experience in pulling a trailer at all, then I strongly suggest that you go out and either borrow or rent a small to medium size, flat trailer that you can see over the bed of and tow it a little and also take it to a parking lot and back it some. A very small trailer is easier to tow but more difficult to back then a longer one. While there will be a significant difference in the fifth wheel from one of these, it will at least give you some towing experience. Backing will be the most difference so don't spend a lot of time on that part but just a little bit may be helpful.

Renting a small trailer is a good idea. Yes, we did used to have a 20 ft flatbed trailer when we owned 40 acres and it was not a joy to back up.  I never got the hang of that.  My husband did it fine!  Thanks

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

Thanks for all the replies.  I think we will both feel better taking "some" instruction rather than none.  $450 investment may save us in the long term.  I appreciate all the input.

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

6 hours ago, bruce t said:

regards

I agree very much so.  No acceptable reason for "not" being prepared or taking the time for good driving school at minimum.  These things are not toys but the real deal.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

You mention bringing your 5er back to California.  I assume by this, you are licensed in CA.  If so, are you aware of the driver license requirements in CA for towing large trailers?

In CA you can tow any trailer up to 10000 lbs GVWR (what it is rated for, not what it actually weighs) on a standard Class C license.  If you tow a 5th wheel travel trailer (what you will be towing) that has a GVWR of between 10000 and 15000 lbs you need an endorsement on your Class C license.  This endorsement requires a separate written test, but no driving test.  If your trailer has a GVWR over 15000 lbs you must have at least a non-commercial Class A license to tow it.  By the size you indicate your trailer is, I suspect you will fall into this category, but it is based on the GVWR.  This requires a written and driving test.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I recommend you drive down to Yuma first. There is an RV Driving School instructor based there who is an excellent teacher. When we took lessons from him there was a neighborhood nearby that had all the curbs and everything but no houses. It was an excellent place to learn. Then he took us over a mountain to learn how to brake. Well worth the money.

It's a fairly easy drive from Phoenix to Quartzsite where you can bookdock overnight in the desert for free. Then another fairly easy drive to to Yuma. After the lessons you can head west on the interstate into California which will let you go south of the big mountains. By the time you get the rig home you will have both knowledge and experience.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, jc2 said:

I agree very much so.  No acceptable reason for "not" being prepared or taking the time for good driving school at minimum.  These things are not toys but the real deal.

Ya, we get that!  We tend to be overly cautious and prepared which is what prompted me to ask to begin with.  Thanks.

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

I recommend you drive down to Yuma first. There is an RV Driving School instructor based there who is an excellent teacher. When we took lessons from him there was a neighborhood nearby that had all the curbs and everything but no houses. It was an excellent place to learn. Then he took us over a mountain to learn how to brake. Well worth the money.

It's a fairly easy drive from Phoenix to Quartzsite where you can bookdock overnight in the desert for free. Then another fairly easy drive to to Yuma. After the lessons you can head west on the interstate into California which will let you go south of the big mountains. By the time you get the rig home you will have both knowledge and experience.

Linda Sand

Do you have his name?

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

2 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

You mention bringing your 5er back to California.  I assume by this, you are licensed in CA.  If so, are you aware of the driver license requirements in CA for towing large trailers?

In CA you can tow any trailer up to 10000 lbs GVWR (what it is rated for, not what it actually weighs) on a standard Class C license.  If you tow a 5th wheel travel trailer (what you will be towing) that has a GVWR of between 10000 and 15000 lbs you need an endorsement on your Class C license.  This endorsement requires a separate written test, but no driving test.  If your trailer has a GVWR over 15000 lbs you must have at least a non-commercial Class A license to tow it.  By the size you indicate your trailer is, I suspect you will fall into this category, but it is based on the GVWR.  This requires a written and driving test.

No longer licensed in CA as we are no SD residents.  We will be leaving CA for good on 4/24. Will do some research. We are only staying in CA long enough to load it put our stuff in storage.  We will be here 18 days.  Appreciate the heads up. 

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

Congratulations.  I just wanted to make sure.  Most people in CA don't know the trailer towing laws, including a lot of law enforcement.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

8 hours ago, Nomad Hiker said:

What do you mean by "oversteering"?  I know what I think it means, but please clarify.

We have had trucks before, but not a BART.  Yes, we are driving it for our daily use and watching it suck down the diesel! We don't have anything else at this point to drive as we have sold everything else!  I'm very glad we have an opportunity to get used to it before getting the 5er!  Being a short gal, I've always had cars with all the bells/whistles and I've gotten used to using mirror/blindspot indicators, backing sensors etc.  My only requirement for BART was it have the bells and whistles to which I've grown accustomed.  I know that when we put the 5er on it, then the game changes!   I've not had any trouble so far driving BART, but I'm cautious.  I intentionally took it into a small parking lot and managed to back it into a space and get out.  Not saying I'll ever do that again though...the back 40 works great for me! Haha!  

Unfortunately, we don't have 2 months to go to truck driving school.  Never thought of that or I certainly would have entertained it!  This will be a "crash" course.  No, not a course on crashing - I HOPE! :)

Hey, Mr. Mean & Crazy!  That's a weird name, but ok.   I agree to the extent that it depends on your experience with towing anything at all (farm stuff etc) :)  I had wondered the same myself about why it isn't required, but it's not.  I know just getting in a 1 ton truck after several years of not owning a truck was interesting. I even want to STAY AWAY FROM MYSELF on the road until we learn how to pull the 5th wheel, but that isn't possible.  We bought the 5er in AZ and have to get it back to CA after our little shakedown trip so just warning you...we will be camping in the phoenix area 4/3-4/6 then be headed back to CA...Once we get it here, there is an instruction school that does come to us and do the instruction (one day).  We will both participate. We looked for somewhere in the Phoenix area for training, but it doesn't exist!  We had hoped to have them meet us at the dealership. 

That one can just jump in to any size Rv and drive it off without a minute of instruction has always mystified me as well. We have had a Real CDL for years. It is not  to be said you can not self learn as you well can  by using large parking lot to practice backing, parking, left and right turns .In fact look up what the driving test is for a CDL and use it as a guide. However if you have zero experience in RV driving some schooling is suggested. Our truck and 5th wheel is just a bit over 55 feet and the total weight is near 23K one has got to get a feel for driving and turning something that big. not to mention stopping the thing. Left and right turns will do you in very quickly. BTW my wife has been driving our rigs for years  and can handle it as well as anyone maybe better than some.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

56 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

Congratulations.  I just wanted to make sure.  Most people in CA don't know the trailer towing laws, including a lot of law enforcement.

Thanks for having our back so to speak!  You did send us on a research frenzie for going into Canada so that was good! :)

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

45 minutes ago, richfaa said:

That one can just jump in to any size Rv and drive it off without a minute of instruction has always mystified me as well. We have had a Real CDL for years. It is not  to be said you can not self learn as you well can  by using large parking lot to practice backing, parking, left and right turns .In fact look up what the driving test is for a CDL and use it as a guide. However if you have zero experience in RV driving some schooling is suggested. Our truck and 5th wheel is just a bit over 55 feet and the total weight is near 23K one has got to get a feel for driving and turning something that big. not to mention stopping the thing. Left and right turns will do you in very quickly. BTW my wife has been driving our rigs for years  and can handle it as well as anyone maybe better than some.

No, trust me we are definitely not taking this lightly.  We know our shortcomings! :) We BOTH want to be confident in driving it.  I'm calling to schedule our training tomorrow.  I am hoping we can get it close to Phoenix, if not, we have no choice but to drive back here.

Happy Trails,

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

Archived