REMOVING SLEEPER SOFA FROM SLIDE

BIGMIKEM

Hey guys, I have an older sofa w/ sleeper in my Motor home, 2000  model, I want to re-carpet  the dinette and sofa area which is in the slide,  I can't see any bolts or brackets, inside or out, that hold the sofa down, when i open the bed i can see all the bracket works, No hold down hardware! the sofa has short legs and i can tell that is where it is held down because the four short legs/feet, are the only things touching  the slide floor. It's like the legs were screwed down thru into the slide floor and  also into the frame work of the sofa at the same time which is impossible, right? what am i missing?. i could break the legs to remove the sofa. but want to use again. anyone know?

Maybe your sleeper/sofa is like ours in our 5th wheel, just sitting on the floor of the slide, with no anchoring to the floor.  We recently had a small leak in the slide, and had to move the sofa to dry the carpet.  I just slid the sofa out, even though pretty heavy, it did move.  I had always thought it was screwed down, but it wasn't.

I replaced my 1999 sofa a few years ago. It had 4 leg screws in the frame holding it down.

The new one had holes in the frame at the same spot to install it with the same screws.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

3 hours ago, Biker56 said:

I replaced my 1999 sofa a few years ago. It had 4 leg screws in the frame holding it down.

The new one had holes in the frame at the same spot to install it with the same screws.

Hey Biker56  how did you get to those 4 legs screws i see the hinge works for the pull out with screws going thru the frame of sofa but nothing that would look like it could loosen the legs.could they be behind some fabric?

29 minutes ago, BIGMIKEM said:

No bolts under the slide Jim, just a smooth underside, no access panels nuthin.

Interesting on mine I had four mexicans and I just pointed at it and said get it out of here without tearing my trailer up. I do know it was dayam heavy.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

41 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

Interesting on mine I had four mexicans and I just pointed at it and said get it out of here without tearing my trailer up. I do know it was dayam heavy.

Thanks Jim, I will look again to see if i can figure it out, I don't feel like running to Home Depot for the Mexicans.

Ok, I think I have it figured out now, it looks as if the slide is a laminated floor with layers consisting of aluminum underside, plywood center and either aluminum or sheet metal on top just under the carpet, with the bolts hidden under the top layer. The only way to get to them is remove the underside of the slide, which i'm not doing. i'm gonna use a sawzall and cut through the lag bolts, replace the carpet then reinstall the sofa with L brackets on the floor and around the frame of the sofa. Why they installed the sofa this way ? I don't know but the L brackets will not be visible when installed. Thanks to all who helped.

I would say you don't even need to secure the sofa when you put it back in place.  We removed ours and replaced it with two LazyBoys which weren't secured and which didn't move in our travels.  A sofa is even heavier.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I don't think an unsecured sofa would be an issue in a trailer, but could be a serious hazard in a motorhome.  In an accident it could make a pretty dangerous projectile.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Archived