Energy Management System?

DKRITTER

We are looking at getting another 5th wheel in about a year or so and I have started looking around to get an idea of what's available. One thing I have noticed on several sites is a Energy Management System as an option. I'm not sure what that is would someone explain it to me.

I know it's not a surge protector, best guess is it relates to a generator and/or 3 A/C's. Am I close?

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

EMS PT 50 is a management system by progressive industries.Google it.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I got ems 50 on our new fiver. You can tell voltage of both legs at a glance. Knowing that no funny things can get in the electrical system is a plus. Would no be without.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

The Progressive style surge protector is not what I'm talking about.  https://progressiveindustries.myshopify.com/collections/rv-power-and-surge-protectors-hardwired/products/ems-hw50c-pid#

Several of the options from different manufactures not only list a Progressive 50C but then in another line list as an option a Energy Management System separately.

So is this a transfer switch?

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

This is an EMS with these features. What else are you looking for, if not the EMS-hw50c? Or are you referring to the hybrid inverter management where it blends shore power, solar power, and battery power, to manage the energy consumption from the rig?

Electrical Management System (EMS) helps to protect your RV against voltage fluctuations, power surges and incorrectly wired shore power which can cause sever and costly damage to RV appliances and electronics. Feel secure with multi-mode surge, voltage, polarity and lost/open neutral protection. Each unit includes a digital display scrolling continuously through the power source information. A state-of-the-art microprocessor provides peach of mind, day or night, even when you're away from your RV.

Product Features:
• Over/Under voltage Protection
• Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection
• Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Protection 
• Accidental 240V Protection
• Miswired Pedestal Indication
• Surge Failure Indicator
• Amperage Meter Display
• Previous Error Code
• A/C Frequency Protection
• Time Delay (136 seconds)
• Adjustable Time Delay
• Thermally Protected
• Built-in Scrolling Digital Display
• Remote Display

• Field Serviceable 
• UL Certified and Canadian Approved
• Lifetime Warranty 
• Made in the USA

Product & Tech Specs:Surge Protection: 5-Mode / 3,580J / 88,000A
Ratings: 50A / 120V/240V / 12,000W
Operating Temperatures: -40C to +105C
Data Cable: 14'
Product Dimensions: 9" W x 5" H x 4" D
Box Dimensions: 5" W x 9½" H x 4½" D
Boxed Weight: 5 lbs
Mfr. Part #: EMS-HW50C

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

4 hours ago, DKRRITTER said:

We are looking at getting another 5th wheel in about a year or so and I have started looking around to get an idea of what's available. One thing I have noticed on several sites is a Energy Management System as an option. I'm not sure what that is would someone explain it to me.

I know it's not a surge protector, best guess is it relates to a generator and/or 3 A/C's. Am I close?

Like this.....http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/power-accessories/freedom-sequence-ems-power-manager.aspx

Or this.....https://www.rvtechmag.com/docs/PCI_Specs.pdf

Maybe this......http://janeandjohn.org/docs/EMSmanual.pdf

These are more inline with a "EMS" power sharing/shedding device.

Fur us nontechnical people there appear to be two types of EMS systems. The one most of us use protects your system from bad energy entering your rig. The other manages the electricity within your rig to keep you from popping breakers. I would guess the one in the rig you are looking at is the second type.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

A factory option of an 'EMS' could also be a system that will turn off certain devices if you are hooked up to 30amp shore power and get close to pulling more than 30 amps. 

In my DRV, if I start to pull too many amps the system will shutoff the electric water heater and switch over to propane. If additional amps need to be reduced the refrigerator will switch over to propane also.

The system attempts to keep from triggering the 30 amp breaker.

I really like the system. Not very expensive.

MrSeas the Xantrex style system is what I was wondering about.

The Xantrex Freedom Sequence is an intelligent energy management system (EMS) that provides automatic power & load management for Recreational Vehicles (RVs) when powered by shore power or generator.

and sandsys that is what I was talking about. Thank You

Mike2338   Yes thanks

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

12 hours ago, Mike2338 said:

A factory option of an 'EMS' could also be a system that will turn off certain devices if you are hooked up to 30amp shore power and get close to pulling more than 30 amps. 

In my DRV, if I start to pull too many amps the system will shutoff the electric water heater and switch over to propane. If additional amps need to be reduced the refrigerator will switch over to propane also.

The system attempts to keep from triggering the 30 amp breaker.

I really like the system. Not very expensive.

X2 and I think that is what DKRRITTER is referring. In my case the device is called a Progressive Power Control System

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Quote: Or are you referring to the hybrid inverter management where it blends shore power, solar power, and battery power, to manage the energy consumption from the rig?

can also accomplish this with a hybrid inverter setup. For example, technomadia's running AC on a 15 amp shore power, plus solar, plus batteries. 

http://www.technomadia.com/2016/06/running-an-rv-ac-off-solar-batteries-and-a-hybrid-boosting-inverter/

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

DRV installs Precision Circuits Inc energy management systems.  These systems allow the user to tell the system what type of power you are plugged into (30 amp or 15 amp).  The system automatically knows when you are on 50 amp or built in generator and goes to sleep on these sources (because it assumes you have enough power to run everything as designed).  When on 30 amp or 15 amp, the system can shut down up to four circuits in your rig in a specified order (load shedding) so that you do not try to draw more power than is available from the power pedestal.  If you have a hole house inverter system with a sub panel and a hybrid inverter, this system is not affected by that and has no interaction with it.  This system is only tied into the main power panel and can only shed loads from the main power panel (or low voltage circuits like what a thermostat controls).  The loads that are typically controlled by it are the electric element in a hot water heater, the electric element in an RV refrigerator and Air Conditioners.

My particular system was set up to shed four loads.  First is the electric element in the water heater (I do not have an electric element in my on demand Truma water heater so I switched this first load shed to my electric fireplace).  Second is the compressor on AC #2.  Third is the fan on AC#2.  And finally the compressor on AC #1.  (I am going from memory on these four load sheds, so I may be off on the order.  I know number one is correct.  I am not 100% sure on the rest of the order, but you get the idea.)  The system "talks" to the main power panel through a module installed in the panel and it "talks" to the air conditioners through low voltage connections to the thermostat.  Once the power demand diminishes, the system will reinstate the shed loads in reverse order.  I have played with my system and it works well and sheds and reinstates the four loads as I have described.  Basically it automates what I used to do manually in my last 5er with 50 amp power when I was plugged into less than 50 amp power.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived