pass through vs. slide hanger storage

Assuming the same size box, the storage isn't the issue.  

However, in my Bounder, the pas-thru configuration allows me to store a 7' folding ladder kin the pass-thru area which I could not do with hanging storage boxes.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Are you going to be full-timing, is this a vacation coach, or how will you use it? What sort of things do you need to carry with you? Our Foretravel has no slides, so we have two pass-thru bays, one of which has a joey bed. We work with our church's group that helps congregations with their building projects, so I'm carrying tools. I started out trying to put an 8' ladder in one of those bays, but it took up too much space. Then I tied it to the rear ladder. That looked tacky, so I traded with my son for a folding ladder.

The biggest issue that I see is that a pass-thru bay on a coach with slides could result in you banging your head more often than you would like, since you will have to crawl under the slide to access the bay.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

• 2 weeks later...

While maybe not a factor on all coaches. I do feel that another potential risk of slide hanging storage is more weight, thus stress, on the slide mechanisms themselves. (I know one gent with a Fleetwood product, that had to shift his tool box out of the hanging storage as the slide started to have problems after a pretty short period. He now uses the hanging storage for lighter items. 

Just another factor add in. 

IMO, a base thru basement storage with left and right slide out trays - is and all around win/win. We have two slides on our drivers side. With he pull out trays, I can extend the tray out far enough to not have to be bent over to access items on that side. I do have one tray of our two trays set up with taller items that can't fit under the rails. And I also keep most of the items we used the most, accessible on the passenger side. 

But then again, if the DW ain't happy - that basement pass thru storage better have enough room for you to sleep:)!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Why would you want to opt for something less?  Gassers have no choice, but with the DP it is a no brainer to have pass through.  You might not realize how much better it is, but it really, really is.  11 yrs and I can't imagine NOT having the pass through.  Just makes life easier.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived